How do you wake up in the a.m.?

newswoman13

Cathlete
Hi folks -- I staunchly believe in the mind/body connection and am wondering what you all do in the morning? Does anyone meditate upon waking, or do your race to brew coffee, or do you stumble to the shower, or do you take a peaceful walk? How do you get in touch with your self?

Part of my New Year's Res is to slow down, take more time for me, and get in touch with my self more to help focus and prioritize my day.

Any thoughts?
Cheers!

Happy New Year!!

I've discovered this year I can't do anything for 30 minutes after I wake up. I get up, feed the cats (this requires monitoring so it can take a while), give them morning loves (one of them loves being petted on the bathroom rugs for some reason), and then all of a sudden 30 minutes has gone by.

I'm much better now that I've realized it will take 30 minutes regardless of what I do... and I won't give up that cat time!! ;)

I reluctantly set my alarm in time to do my workout before work. I hate getting up and working out before the sun comes up, but I know myself all too well and if I wait it won't get done.

In the non-winter months, my boss lets me flex my hours and start at 8:30 so that I can ride outside before work. In the summer it's not a problem because it's light very early, but when it doesn't get light until 6:15 or 6:30 I can't make it to work at 8am unless I ride on my trainer in the basement.

I probably didn't answer your question since I don't do any of the things you mentioned (meditate, race to brew coffee, stumble to the shower or take a peaceful walk, although wouldn't a peaceful walk be nice:D). If I were more disciplined to work out at night, I guess my mornings would be more peaceful. But I suppose it's a trade off and I have more peaceful evenings.:) And I love the way I feel all day after getting a workout in! It gives me more confidence to face my day.

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I set the alarm and wake up to Cathe. I have most of my clothing on already, lace up the shoes and get going. I choose the workout the day before, so I don't really have to think (can't) until I am through the warm-up. By then I am awake and fully into my workout. The best time is when we are cooling down and into the stretch. That is when I reflect on my w/o and think about the coming day.

That said I hate to get up, but force myself to, as it won't happen if I don't do it before work! (no coffee or any other things you mentioned)

Jenn

i turn on the computer read a bit then center myself for some yoga. sometimes every second counts so i might do yoga first then turn on the computer and have breakfast so i never use "i don't have enough time" not to get that in. yoga is so very important to wake me up,center myself for the day ahead,and does help with my other daily workouts.

kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

I normally don't have time to get in touch with myself in the morning. I do that in stolen moments throughout the day. When I get up, I go to the kitchen, brew coffee and cook breakfast, and while things are cooking on the stove, I go upstairs to wake my boy and prepare him for school, dress him up, give him breakfast, prepare his lunch, etc... It's like a rat race for about an hour and a half between the time I wake up to the time I send him off with the hubby. I wish I could wake up slowly but if I have to prioritize, waking up slowly won't work for me.:(

Pinky

If I am waking up from a dream, I always try to remember it completely before I am fully awake. I like to figure out what it may mean and how it makes me feel so I am aware of what is truely going on deep down inside my head and then I think about it until it makes sense. Then I pee, weigh myself to see different numbers lately...hmmmm. Then I bodyfat myself and never satisfied of the reading so I grumble to myself and then brush my teeth, etc., etc.

Charlotte~~

I wake up to my alarm and am exercising within 5 minutes of getting up usually. I sleep in my workout clothes, have my video/DVD and weights set up the night before so that I'm ready to go.

Erica

I set my alarm for about 5 AM. I wake up to music and not a loud buzzing!! Never have hit the snooze button. I stumble to the kitchen and make coffee, fed the cats if DH has not. Make the bed as I turn on my PC. Have my coffee while checking email and these boards. Start my workout about 6:30....:)..Carole

I wake up every morning at 4:30 and immediatley take our yellow lab, Ruby for a walk. Just her and me and the quiet. I love it. It gives me time to ponder my day and warms me up for my workout. Susan

On mornings that I workout, I roll out of bed, change into workout clothes, let the dogs out and then get started on my workout. After the workout, it is off to the shower, get ready adn get out the door.

On non-workout mornings, I roll out of bed, throw on the robe, start the coffee, let teh dogs out...I usually relax a little in the quiet of my hosue and then get started with the shower and getting ready.

I always take a few minutes to myself in the office in the morning )on the days when I go there first rahter than court or a meeting). I get my coffee, turn on the music and take a few mimutes to just clear my head and breathe before the day starts, jump on the forum and then get ready to jump into the day's work.

Usually:
Wake up to radio.
Hit snooze.
Wake up when radio comes on again.
(optional: hit snooze 1 or 2 more times)
Wait for morning gathering of the cats (Bobsie, who washes Scooter's head and ears right by my face; Scooter who sleeps with me all night; Rascal who comes and plops down next to me with his big fat butt; Simon who comes in to get a kiss or two on the head, and Mandy who hangs around the edges, waiting for a head rub).
Get up to feed cats and give Scooter insulin shot.
Make morning smoothie and drink while visiting VF, Cathe forum, Veganbodybuilding.com .

My morning:
1. Wake up to my alarm(music of course) at 5:40 now that I'm back to working out in the morning.
2. Then, head right down to the basement and step on the scale(bad habit I know)
3. Put on my workout clothes
4. Do my Cathe workout
5. I finish at about 7, hop on the scale just in case a miracle happened;)
6. Take a quick shower and get ready for work(thank goodness I have a specific uniform for each day of the week so I don't have to think about it.
7. Brooke usually wakes up so I change her diaper and feed her.
8. At 7:55 I head to work (Thank goodness I only live a few blocks from work since I see my first patient at 8!:)

I have a lot of trouble waking up in the dark, but this fall I bought one of those dawn simulator alarm clocks and it has been a lot easier for me to get out of bed. I'm usually up about 7; on the computer and drinking water until about 7, then I do cardio. I don't have to be at work until 9:30 and I have a really short commute, so I procrastinate and then rush out the door around 9.

I leave a full 2 hours for myself in the morning between waking and leaving for work. I just need the time to dally over breakfast and coffee and the Cathe boards. That relaxes me and puts me in the right mood to face the rest of the day. I stay a little later in the evening at work to make up for coming in on the late side in the morning.

On the weekends, I just let myself sleep as late as I want to.

-Nancy

Since I'm not working I don't get up as early as I used to, though I usually roll out by 6:15. I've rarely needed an alarm clock. I know it sounds like a story but honestly the night before I just tell myself what time I want to wake up and I do, actually usually about ten to fifteen minutes before my "scheduled" time. I try to take some time to just sit and have tea or coffee before jumping in to the day but that doesn't always happen.

The best though is when I crash at my sister's and I wake up to two smiling faces peering at me over the edge of the bed :D

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I have a kitty alarm. When he is hungry you will NOT sleep--LOL! And if we try to ignore him he will dive bomb our bed (he runs through our bedroom like white lightening, jumps up onto the bed then jumps off the other side and runs really fast out of the room). If we don't respond to that, he will jump in bed and bite us. So, we're up at 6 to feed the kitty--period. My coffee pot has a timer so I'm drinking coffee the minute I get up. since I'm no longer working, I tend to do mid-morning workouts.

Michele:)

>Part of my New Year's Res is to slow down, take more time for
>me, and get in touch with my self more to help focus and
>prioritize my day.

I think your resolution for 2006 is truly wonderful. I start my day at 6:00 a.m. I go downstairs and kiss my dogs (my babies!!) for about ten minutes...lots of licks..haha. I take them out, start the coffee, feed and brush the dogs, make DH's lunch and kiss him goodbye as he's off to work. Then head to the shower and it's off to to gym for my own workout before I start teaching or training my clients.

I find starting my day with lots of love is very comforting.

LOL!! My dear-departed kitty used to do that--I really miss him. His technique for dive bombing was to run across our pillows, near the tops of our heads. If that didn't work, he'd stand on my stomach or purr right in my face.

I wak up between 7am and 8am most mornings. I start the coffee, let out the dogs, start the pc and the washing machine. Then once coffee and breakfast are ready, i sit in front of my computer and read the news and forums/emails. I am NOT a morning person and if something wakes me up besides time.....LOOK OUT!}( It puts me in a pissy mood the rest of the day. i like your resolution!!

jes

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.