How do you make that shiny, smooth sugar cookie frosting?

sln

Cathlete
I see all the pictures in magazines, etc. of these beautiful cookies with glassy looking frosting - it looks perfectly smooth. What's the trick to this? Super thin frosting? Do you just thin out a regular frosting recipe with milk? Is there a specific recipe for this type of frosting?

I would try powdered sugar mixed with hot hot water ..use a wire whip.Just wing it ..Put the sugar in a bowl ..get the whip. Stir in hot hot tap water while you whip it .. It should be runny!!! Then dunk your cooled off cookies !!! That shoud work .put a tiny vanilla or a splash of orange juice in frosting if you want to !!good luck

RE: How do you make that shiny, smooth sugar cookie fro...

I watched this special on FoodTV the other night where they made this gingerbread train. In the recipe the chef discusses the shiny icing. I *believe* she said it was royal icing thinned down with water but I'm NOT 100% positive. You can watch the show again on Dec. 16th 10am. The recipe itself doesn't discuss thinning the icing, but she did it during the show. Here's a link to the recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/12_days_of_cookies/article/0,1904,FOOD_18276_4227696,00.html

hth,

Jamie

Oh, wow! Thanks!

Thanks for the great website. I'm going to spend some time there looking around. I love the look of those fancy sugar cookies. thank you!

Edited to say: That site is SO great!!! I'm printing off a bunch of stuff. Awesome. Thank you SO much!!!! :) :)

Thanks, Everyone!

Thanks, Jamie and Mary! I'm going to TiVo that FoodTV show. My god, that train is really something! Thanks for the quick answers everyone! Martha, I am NOT - so I need every bit of help I can get!:) - Sarah

Thanks, Kathy & Laurie

Thanks, you two for some additional suggestions. I can see I'm going to have to experiment with this to see what works for me. I have to do a batch of cookies for a Christmas party next week for my son, and I want to do some cute cookies. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.