Hi to all - new member with a few questions...

sierrastar

Cathlete
Hi everyone...Just received two Cathe tapes for Christmas and I love them...I have the Time Saver and the High Step Circuit...I liked them so much I ordered the Hardcore series.

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself..I am a mom of three great kids and have a great husband. I live in So Cal (high desert area) and trying to lose that last 10 pounds (been trying for years now)...I am 40 (hmmm-clear throat) 2 years old - and going thru menopause (I know too much info) but since I began that phase of my life the weight has stuck like glue!

I found out about the Cathe tapes on Amazon and I am hooked! I would like to be able to never step foot in a gym and solely work out at home with Cathe...

A couple of questions for anyone out there who would like to answer...

1. I have terrible wrists from Rheumatoid Arthritis...even with wrist wraps push ups are very hard to do...any recommendations on alternative exercises instead of pushups? I hate to skip a segment of a tape...Maybe I could do chest presses?

2. I also need a good training shoe..do you all get crosstrainers? Right now I have some Nike running shoes but not sure if those are the best for step.

3. So I have the High Step Circuit, the Time Saver DVD, and the Hardcore series (on order)...What other tapes do you recommend that I invest in? I would like to be able to do the rotations but I do not have all the tapes...your thoughts are appreciated!

Anyways, nice to meet you all and hope I get to chat with you soon!

Judy

Hi Judy and welcome to the forums. I love the hardcore series and would also recommend the Intensity Series and the Body Blast Series. Cathe also has 4 new workouts in the works. I love all of her workouts so it's hard to just pick a few. If you love cardio Maximum Intesity Cardio would be another suggestion. There are also 3 Interval workouts that I would also recommend. There are some kickbox workouts as well. It all depends on what you like.

As a substitute for pushups you can try doing them using your dumbbells instead of placing your hands on the floor. By using your dumbbells, your wrist will stay straight and not bent. Give that a try and if that doesn't work you can always do chest presses or flyes.

I would definitely recommend cross trainers for stepping. Running shoes usually have too much of a rough sole that's needed for running, but not for stepping.

Welcome and I look forward to chatting with you more.

Diana

Hi Judy!

Welcome!!! I am also pretty new here. I just found out how great Cathe workouts are in November. I'm also formerly from So. Cal. - lived there for 30 years and then moved to Wyoming. I love Wyoming, but I miss LA a lot since that's where I spent most of my life.

Anyway, there are a lot of very knowledgable people here who can help you with your questions. I just wanted to answer about the shoe question. There have been some threads about shoes and I bet if you do a search on "shoes" you'll find them. I did that and found that a lot of people liked Ryka Enlight II's and so of course I HAD to have them. Unfortunately they are being discontinued but I was lucky enough to find some in my size at www.rogansshoes.com - so I bought two pair to keep me going. I really like them. I don't think running shoes have enough support for doing step, but that's just my opinion. As we get older it seems like our knees, ankles and hips need more pampering than when we were younger (I'm 43).

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy all of your Cathe workouts!

Susan

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Welcome! Cathe is totally addictive, isn't she?

I'm not sure what to suggest regarding the push-ups, but you definitely need a cross-trainer or a specialized aerobics shoe for doing step. Running shoes don't have enough lateral support for step. Rykas are awesome. I have Rhythm II's but I don't think they make them anymore. Rykas are specially designed for women and I have never found a better shoe for step aerobics.

Have fun here!

Hi Judy , Welcome and Happy New Year!

Everyone's already helped you with your question about shoes (crosstrainers or aerobic shoes are much better than running shoes for step).....

Not sure about the wrists because I have bad wrists too and sometimes using dumbbells on pushups help but mostly when I do them my wrists hurt and I probably shouldn't be doing them!

I love all of Cathe's dvd's so picking just a few is hard to do but I love the Intensity, Body Blast and CTX series . You are probably like the rest of us and will end up with them all eventually anyway!;-)

I'm also (ahem...) 42, have 3 kids and a husband....but I live in Ohio.
Nice to meet you.:)

Hi and welcome! Are you looking to incorporate more strength training workouts or more cardio as your next selections?? Do you have a step? How are you with choreography? As far as cardio goes I'd recommend selecting both a step routine or two and her Kick Punch Crunch/Legs Glutes dvd. As far as step goes...she has so many so it would mostly depend on your level and how you are with catching on to choreography.

Welcome, Judy!

In answer to some of your questions:

>
>1. I have terrible wrists from Rheumatoid Arthritis...even
>with wrist wraps push ups are very hard to do...any
>recommendations on alternative exercises instead of pushups?
>I hate to skip a segment of a tape...Maybe I could do chest
>presses?

Dumbbells have been suggested. You could also try doing push-ups on your fists (martial-arts style) or by keeping the wrists straight and splaying your fingers so that the bend is not at the wrist, but at the joint where the finger meets the hand (unless this also bothers your RA...it worked for me when I had problems with carpal tunnel). Otherwise, heavy bench presses are a good alternative (since you may not be able to do the most challenging type of push-ups with any of these modifications).

>2. I also need a good training shoe..do you all get
>crosstrainers? Right now I have some Nike running shoes but
>not sure if those are the best for step.

I get crosstrainers, which are made for later as well as forward motion. I don't think running shoes would work quite as well for floor cardio and step. But if they feel o.k. to you, maybe they're o.k.

>
>3. So I have the High Step Circuit, the Time Saver DVD, and
>the Hardcore series (on order)...What other tapes do you
>recommend that I invest in? I would like to be able to do the
>rotations but I do not have all the tapes...your thoughts are
>appreciated!

Intensity Series would be my first recommendation. ALL of them (excluding the compilation DVD). The most excellent series Cathe has come out with yet.

I would also recommend the Intensity series as it has a high "fun" factor. I'd also recommend Kick, Punch, Crunch which also has Legs and Glutes on it. The workout is fabulous and the variety of premixes prevents boredom.
If time is an issue you may want to consider the Xpress series. Each workout has 30 minutes of intense cardio followed by one or two body parts. Xpress legs is my favorite leg workout.

Welcome Judy!! It's always great to see more West Coasters around here!! I live in the Bay Area.

Personally, I'd wait until you get all the Hardcores and see which ones you really like before starting to invest in more workouts- let us know which ones you find yourself gravitating to and we can recommend similar workouts that have the same qualities you enjoy.

You'll be busy getting more dumbbells, barbells, bands, shoes, gloves, balls, etc... Enjoy!!!!

Hi everyone and thanks for posting! Nice to meet you all...

thanks for all the info on shoes and pushups...I will try using the dumbbells during the pushup segments - I just ordered some wrist wraps that I think will help with support...I will look into the Rykas...I actually have some of those and I forgot about them as I was doing more treadmill than step...

I did order the Intensity Bootcamp DVD with the Hardcore set...now I kind of wish I would have just ordered the whole Intensity bundle and saved money as I probably will order all of those tapes anyways!

My Hardcore set wont arrive until Jan 4th and I cant wait...right now I am doing the High Circuit, the Timesaver series and I have the Turbojam dvd's also...I have not jumped on my treadmill for a week because I have loved the Cathe tapes so much...

Happy New Year everyone!

Judy

Hi Judy,
I haven't read the other responses to your post yet, but let me just say that I can't stand push-ups, I've never done them and my pecs seem just fine. I don't have a single Cathe workout where she doesn't do a few other pec exercises in addition to the push-ups. I'm very content with the bench presses, flyes, etc. to keep my pecs healthy. Like you, I tend to otherwise do the workouts without modification. So, IMHO, you are fine leaving them out completely.

I just have to ask a dumb question. Please don't be offended. But there have been so many women on these boards who are in their early forties or even in their thirties who say they are going through menopause naturally (as opposed to as a result of surgery of course), that I just have to wonder. Are you SURE you're going thru menopause?

The average age of menopause in America is 51 years. The range is between 48-55. Yet there are dozens of women on these boards who say they are starting menopause at much younger ages. I don't mean to doubt you or single you out, but I'm just puzzled by this.

NICE TO MEET YOU AND WELCOME!!!

-Nancy

P.S. I'm a New Balance fanatic. I just find them to be far superior to every other sports shoe I've ever tried. But that's just me.

Hey Judy, welcome!! I just saw your thread.

I have RA also and I'm 44 years old. I was diagnosed when I was 37 1/2. I do push ups on dumbbells. This works pretty good for me. I will also put my step down to its lowest level and "cup" the side of the step thus holding my wrists straight. I am using this more now since I'm using a progressive load technique to better my pushup ability. I have pretty tight control right now with a combination of Humira injections, methotrexate, and Mobic but my wrists are still tender and I can't put my weight on them. The barbell for biceps is also hard for me to manage when I'm flaring but I'm doing pretty good with this right now. If this bothers yours wrists, just switch to dumbbells for biceps.

I also have RA in my feet and I bought the Ryka N-Gage hi top shoe in September and I love it. I have so much more stability in my ankles.

I hope this helps. If you ever want to talk to somebody who knows what you are going through, I'm usually around the boards at some point during the day (more often than I should be but this place is addictive!!;-) )

Staying fit and healthy is the best thing you can do for RA. Keep active and flexible. We tend to set up like cement with inactivity.

Hi Nancy, nice to meet you!

I used to be able to do regular pushup when I was in Taekwondo...but my wrists really hinder me (grrr!)

I know I am early on menopause...I guess I should call it perimenopause as I am still having periods...

I have been rock solid regular all my life - every 28-30 days..but two years ago that all changed...I started having periods every two weeks, skip a month, every 5 weeks, every 8 weeks, etc...my Dr says my RA (rheum arth) can make menopause happen earlier than normal. My sis has RA and she went thru menopause at 43 and stopped having periods all together at the age of 46...I am on lots of medicines including Enbrel injections twice a week so who knows if that may screw up things too...so anyways, I am pretty sure I am going thru the change...

I will look into the New Balance shoes...thanks!

Judy

Welcome Judy!! I used to live in Southern Cal myself. I think you got your questions answered....:)...I moved to Northern Cal in 1980...must be beacause of the huge amount of rain we have had the last few days!!! x( :) I look forward to your posts...:)...Carole

Judy, I'm sorry for bringing it up. Thanks for being so patient with me. I understand now, and I'm sorry you suffer from RA. There seem to be so many people I've met lately who suffer from it.

Looks like you've had lots of good suggestions for continuing those push-ups! :D

-Nancy

Hi Jane! so nice to meet you...

I am 42 and was diagnosed at age 33 (one month after my last child)..I am on Enbrel, methotrexate, and plaquinil. I was on Arava but trying to tone down how much meds I am on...I have never heard of Mobic - is that an anti-inflammatory?

I agree with you on the exercise and RA...I HATE succumbing to RA...my right wrist is so bad my kids call it a Scarab beetle arm (you know in the movie the Mummy when the beetle plows under your skin? well that is what my wrist looks like!) -

I am under somewhat control except for my right hand and wrists...my feet used to be very bad but right now they are doing well..

I will try using the bench for pushups - that is a good idea...

Nice to meet you!

Judy

Judy,

Mobic is an anti-inflammatory. I was on Vioxx until they pulled it off the market, then I was on Bextra and they pulled it off the market. My doc wanted to put me on Celebrex but I said no more Cox-2's so he put me on Mobic.

I was on Enbrel for a year and a half and it quit working. So far the Humira is working. I took Arava about four or five years ago but it made my hair fall out. It got very thin and I couldn't handle that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.