HELP!!! Sit-ups!!!

Anyone and Everyone out there,

I have never been able to do a full sit-up without my feet anchored by someone or with something. It is really frusterating when you are taking a class or doing a workout at home that calls for full sit-ups when you have never been able to do them. HELP! I am open for any and all suggestions and pointers!

Thanks a BUNCH!
Madhouse Mom in Missouri

This may sound like torture

One minute every other night before bed or whenever just not consecutive days (that could hurt you btw.)

Lie flat on your back. Raise your hands/head like you were stretching up about 6 inches above the ground. Also raise your feet about 6 inches above the ground if its hard you can switch feet. Hold this position for one minute. Hold it even if you are shaking-welcome that, thats when its working.

I learned this trick from a yoga class. At first I was only really able to do about 15 seconds before switching. I believe its called either a light nerve stretch or a life nerve stretch (couldn't really make out what she said.) It worked for me.

What RapidBreath suggests sounds good. I was going to suggest planks. Every other day, do a full body plank and keep at it until you can hold it for a minute or so. When you get to that level, you should be a able to do a full sit up.

anne

I appreciate the replies so far, but would you believe I can already hold a plank for one minute and I will try what RapidBreath had suggested. I seem to get to the top of the crunch and that's where I am stuck!

I appreciate the replies so far, but would you believe I can already hold a plank for one minute and I will try what RapidBreath had suggested. I seem to get to the top of the crunch and that's where I am stuck!

If you are good with the plank by itself, time to vary it up. Trying adding a weighted plate or weighted vest for added difficulty. Work on various plank moves. I also like dead hangs from a chin up bar - raise legs perpendicular to floor & hold, then back down. Also alternating torso twists. Try core work on the bosu for stability challenges - weighted/nonweighted. The list goes on...

Keep varying it up and pushing your core to work. Over time, you will absolutely be strong enough!

Yes, core strength is essential. For your class, though: if your feet are too close to your butt when you're doing a situp without your feet anchored, that may add to the difficulty you're having. Try keeping your feet farther out (legs a bit straighter).

Sit-ups strongly target the hip flexors. The first 30 deg or so of the sit-up is performed by the abdominals, in which the pelvis tilts posteriorly and the trunk is curled toward the hips. The rest of the movement is performed by the hip flexors. When abdominal muscles are too weak to curl the trunk, the pelvis tilts anteriorly. If the feet are held down, the hip flexors perform the entire sit-up and with the pelvis tilting forward and the low back going into extension. A true test of abdominal strength is to see how far you get in the curl up before the pelvis moves anteriorly (in which case the hip flexors have taken over).

All this was basically to say: I wouldn't worry much about doing sit-ups; they aren't a great abdominal exercise unless you want stronger hip flexors...and most peoples' hip flexors are TOO dominant. :)

Bethany

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.