Help with info on Dog Food- Pure Vita vs Science Diet

jordan

Cathlete
So here's my story, my fur baby passed away suddenly & unexpectedly last month. I went to the animal shelter last week to look at a Boxer that I was thinking of fostering. The dog was too big for my house set up and was going to possibly go to another rescue group. On my way out of the shelter an emaciated Boxer came to my attention. I could see she really needed medical care and I couldn't leave her there so I adopted her. We went straight to the Vet for vaccinations and treatment. This was a new Vet group that I decided to try out and I'm not comfortable with this group yet.

So, today I took her back to the Vet because she had signs of a respiratory infection and because of her health I wanted her checked out. During the visit we talked about her food and I felt like the Vet was lecturing me for not using the Science Diet. She didn't know what Pure Vita- grain free food was and she said she woud have to research it. She made a remark about people who use a holistic diet being overly sensative to suggestions on diet and she didn't want to make a judgement but she felt I wasn't feeding my dog the proper diet. I didn't get upset. I just listened and then told her I was happy with my choices in the past. I used Canidae with my last 2 Boxers and my last Vet (who was not familiar with Canidae) noticed an improvement in my Boxer's health. Before I left, she said that I needed to bring her in next Friday to get weighed and I might need to change her diet. Then she told me I needed to check that the food met the AAFCO standards, wrote it down for me and said she didn't care about anything else in or not in the food as long as it had the AAFCO rating. If it didn't meet the standards, than I should change to the Science diet. she included that she wasn't getting any kickbacks and said all she wanted was for me to put my dog on a proper diet. I understand her concern but I was a little put off with her presentation, especially since she admitted that she knew nothing about this food. I don't know if I'm going to stay with this food, but it came recommended to me and the dog seems to like it. Plus, I like that it is made in the USA.

I want to give her some information and I'm looking for an unbiased source. I did look at the dog advisor site, but was wondering if anyone had any input. Also, if anyone has pros or cons on this brand of food I welcome the feedback.

Thanks,
jordan

Last edited:
Do your own homework!!!!

Just looking at the ingredients list of the two brands you mentioned, I would choose Pure Vita over Science diet.

Hill's Science Diet Adult Dog Food | Review and Rating

Pure Vita Grain Free Dog Food | Review and Rating

I can't tell you which kibble worked for my boxer because I feed raw to my old guy... He is celebrating his 12th birthday in a few weeks.:cool: Congrats on the boxer! Amazing dogs!

Here is the whole dog journals review for 2012 (note Science Diet made their worst list)

Four Paws Acupuncture » Top 10 Best and Worst Dog Foods by Whole Dog Journal

Here is a two part video how to choose the right dog food for your dog and detailed explanation what to look for on the ingredient labels. Just like human food, the dog food labels try to make crappy food look better but you really need to learn how to read the labels. If you're not interested in raw or canned food, skip the first video and watch the second.
The Quality of Pet Food Ingredients (Part 1 of 2) - YouTube
The Quality of Pet Food Ingredients (Part 2 of 2) - YouTube

I just picked up our family's new puppy last week from the breeder and she specifically told me not to feed him science diet because its way to greasy and is hard on their stomachs (he's a collie). She did tell me what to look for in a pet food but didn't recommend a specific brand as there's been so many recalls recently.
I've had dogs for my whole life and have never had a vet "insist" that I feed them a specific brand of food, it would make me suspicious.

Vets know little about nutrition. They make money from Science Diet in more than 1 way. First they sell it, and 2nd, it makes a pet unhealthy so you have to bring them in for treatment, more money!:mad:

I agree with all of the above--Science Diet is awful. I would not feed it to my dogs or my cats. I think you need to find a new vet.
My vet no longer carries Science Diet but offers Purina or Royal Canin for prescription diets.

Thanks for all your input and advice. I thought I made the right decision when I chose the new food. I looked over information from different sources and chose between the options available at a local shop (the owner does a lot of work with rescue organizations and she is also a trainer and daycare provider). I took many things into consideration and I hoped I was doing the best thing for my new fur baby. I explained why I chose the food I did to the Vet but she made me feel really wrong about my decision. I left the Vet hospital feeling like I needed to justify my decision by providng just the right information in writing on my next visit. I know I shouldn't feel that way and I normally wouldn't. I'm just tired from putting in long hours at work and taking care of this very sick little one.

I've had an uneasy feeling since my first visit to this new practice. No one has been rude but I don't get the warm and fuzzies from anyone either. It is very clinical and all about the bottom line. My other Vets have balanced their caring nature for animals with charging for their services (which has to be done). I felt right from the start that this place is all about getting as much money per visit as possible. I definately need a better fit and will need to change Vets.

Again, thank you everyone for your input any other advice is welcomed,
jordan

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input and advice. I thought I made the right decision when I chose the new food. I looked over information from different sources and chose between the options available at a local shop (the owner does a lot of work with rescue organizations and she is also a trainer and daycare provider). I took many things into consideration and I hoped I was doing the best thing for my new fur baby. I explained why I chose the food I did to the Vet but she made me feel really wrong about my decision. I left the Vet hospital feeling like I needed to justify my decision by providng just the right information in writing on my next visit. I know I shouldn't feel that way and I normally wouldn't. I'm just tired from putting in long hours at work and taking care of this very sick little one.

I've had an uneasy feeling since my first visit to this new practice. No one has been rude but I don't get the warm and fuzzies from anyone either. It is very clinical and all about the bottom line. My other Vets have balanced their caring nature for animals with charging for their services (which has to be done). I felt right from the start that this place is all about getting as much money per visit as possible. I definately need a better fit and will need to change Vets.

Again, thank you everyone for your input any other advice is welcomed,
jordan

This is just wrong, but sadly I've been there myself. It's not a good feeling. I never left questioning my decision, I left really ticked off and found a vet I trust.

How's your baby doing, Jordan? What's her/his name? S/he is lucky to have found you---sounds like it was fate!

I agree w/the others---no Science Diet. We feed our goldens only high quality food, and it is not Science Diet.

We are lucky in that our vet is a dog lover. She's also smart, knows her stuff, and gives us guidance on what is best for our dogs, while not always best for the practice's bottom line.

I have had many dogs in my life time all brought up on Purina. (Except 1 and I will get to this in a minute). Different formulas for the different stages in their lives. They all have lived long healthy lives. I love collies and have had three. One lived to 15 brought up on Purina, the second until 6 brought up on Eukanuba the third until 14 brought up on Purina. When we brought home our 2nd collie I was caught up with what the vet told me was the best. His early death from cancer may have nothing to do with the food but I always wonder. The one time I switched. We currently have a chihuahua turning 14 in a few months and a yellow lab turning 9. Both very healthy and full of energy!

Wellness Core is either dog food or cat food, not both. You can feed a dog cat food maybe, but you can't feed a cat dog food, they need different nutrients, like extra taurine!

How's your baby doing, Jordan? What's her/his name? S/he is lucky to have found you---sounds like it was fate!

I agree w/the others---no Science Diet. We feed our goldens only high quality food, and it is not Science Diet.

We are lucky in that our vet is a dog lover. She's also smart, knows her stuff, and gives us guidance on what is best for our dogs, while not always best for the practice's bottom line.

(I worked late this weekend so I'm just seeing your post)

My fur baby is doing well. Her respiratory infection is getting better. Her cough is a lot less alarming. Her energy level is through the roof like any other Boxer :eek:. Oh boy, she is wearng me out!!! It has been a while since I've had a puppy. She is about a year old or a little younger. I needed to loosen her collar; she looks like she is gaining weight. Her name is Bella (that was not my original choice but it suits her). I'm tired, but she is worth it. I was asked to save another Boxer but I just can't do that right now for numerous reasons. My heart goes out to these poor animals who encounter such bad human beings. I wish I could help all the dogs but I have to accept my limits. Anyways, she loves her food and now I need to find a new Vet. I found out this weekend that my coworker uses the same Vet hospital. She has had a positive experience with a different Vet from the practice, but she agrees that they are very expensive in comparison to other places.

Thanks for asking,
jordan

food for thought ..

I have had dogs my entire life - and have done extensive research on their food due to almost loosing all four of mine from a batch of bad dog food - long story short - it is a personal choice and do your homework - IMO the dogfood industry is CRAP ... just CRAP ...

and unfortunately most vets push Science diet - which has been on the recall list NUMEROUS times - in fact my aunt spent thousands of dollars on her pet for treatment of liver problems that IMO was brought on by the very diet (science diet) the vet had been telling her to feed her dog ..

check the pet food recall list - search for your brand - see if it has EVER been on the list and WHY.. and you will be SHOCKED at what you find and where these "manufacturers" get their "top shelf" ingredients ...

Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts

you can sign up for alerts on your brand food also at National Pet Food Recall Registry

SIDENOTE: some of the more expensive "hollistic" high end dogfoods have been on the recall list ..

it is DISGUSTING to me that there is no more regulation than what we have in place for our beloved animals!

for what it is worth - i would stay away from anything that contains gluetin - or anything where the main ingredients begin w/corn or meal - the main ingredients should be meat (chicken - venison - turkey) -

For myself - I am still learning - still reading everything I can - I feed a combo of raw - home cooked meals and kibble (wellness core) -

After my past experience I will never put blind faith in any products for my babies anymore - it is a sad thing .. but so true!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.