Help! I'm sliding and I can't get up!

eminenz2

Cathlete
Ugh!

For the longest time I was able to keep my weight down to 153 (over two years). Even though I'm just 5'2", 150 seemed a weight my body was happiest at, so that was my goal. Over the summer I have ballooned back up to 166 (this morning's weigh-in).

Granted, my eating has not been super clean, but it seems like my metabolism has down-shifted once again. As if I needed any more help for my turtle-metabolism in the first place! Yikes!

If I eat too much, I gain (obviously). If I try limiting myself, my body goes into hibernation, grabbing onto every last calorie. The thought of yet again counting points, etc. is just devastating. I could cry. When when when will my body (or me, actually) be at peace with food, when I can just eat and be finished, eat a cookie and stop at one, not feel deprived and frustrated?

I am so tired of walking down the same road over and over!

UGH!

Thanks in advance for any butt kicking sent my way.

P.S. My workouts have been fairly consistent for the most part - 5-6 times a week - Cathe, some KB stuff, long hikes/walks on the trails near my house (3-5 miles), weights, etc.

I'm going to be 41 this year. I am not menopausal anymore (no more chemo or drugs, etc.). I am not pre-menopausal - my oncologist checked my hormone levels during my last visit.

Thanks!

I've been going thru something similar lately. I am short as well (5 feet even!) and my weight has been as low as 128 recently (my wedding, 5/25/08) or as high as 138 (about two weeks ago). I got really pissed at myself for giving in to eat all the crap that I was eating, as well as losing my focus with my workouts.

A little over a week ago, I started a new rotation (i'll be happy to share if you are interested) and I have gone NINE days now without one even teeny tiny unhealthy food in my body. I'm lifting pretty heavy, so I am eating plenty of calories, but good quality ones.

It comes and it goes -- we have highs and lows. I know for me, my eating is 100% better when my workouts are focused. I knew I needed to get serious about the workouts and pick something that would challenge me. I also knew that I needed to completely detox myself from the junk. I never thought I would make it thru NINE days but i've done it and still going strong!

I wish you the best of luck in finding some motivation!!

Thanks for the reply. I've been doing the CTX workouts for a couple of weeks now, trying to relearn my balance for quick paced step workouts - I've been getting lazy and feeling so "earthbound" in my workouts - no lightness or grace of movement, plodding along, not feeling agile.

I'm interested to hear your rotation. I've been rotationless lately. This might be part of my problem. I don't do Cathe's rotations because she usually throws something
bizarre in the middle like...

Mon: Rhythmic Step
Tues.: Muscle Max
Wed.: IMAX3 plus 30 minute jog with 30 second top-speed devil-on-your-heels running blasts every five minutes followed by 7 million walking lunges (backwards)
Thurs: YogaMax
Fri.: rest
Sat: 4DS - all four workouts

Hee.:rolleyes:

could be

A vitamin b 12 deficiency even if it is a little low it could be a real problem. That happened to my mother. It effects your ability to walk. Its easy to have that checked by your doctor.

I am currently reading, and enjoying, the Raw Food Detox Diet. It is not extreme - well, can be as much as you want it to be. It goes in levels and you can pick and choose, and it starts out slowly too. Even though the title is Raw Food, it is not all about eating raw, and it is more of a lifestyle than a diet. The concept is good for jumpstarting metabolism by cleaning out your body and putting only good in. It has some very good info and interesting thoughts on combining foods. I got it on Amazon for about $10 I think. Along with that, I am reading some books on the properties of foods and what they do for your body so that what it comes down to is fueling your body and knowing how to do it with foods. I am not a big fan of the Eat Clean Diet for some reason. What I am doing is learning about the properties of foods and eating clean.

As far as exercise, I sort of found this out the past couple of weeks. I worked out hard prior to vacation (beach vacation = bikinis all week!) and while on vacation, I did some ab work and just rode my bike a lot. When we got back, I was busy with getting back into the routine and catching up on stuff, plus totally redid my daughter's room. I got some workouts in but not many. I felt sluggish and icky but HAD to get finished with that room before I lost my mind! Not I am back at it and my metabolism seems revved up. I think it was just the switch in the routine. Why not try it - really shock your body. As long as your are constantly changing, your body will keep up and you will feel in control of your life because you are working out and making healthy food choices (at least I am that way!) And good grief, sounds like you have had your share of trials in the past. Good for your for being strong - you are a survivor! Smile instead of cry, then kick it up a notch. Do something completely different, and something that you have fun doing. Have you tried Cardio Coach? Any of Cathe's like Drill Max or Bootcamp?

My, I am wordy now. Sorry - just wanted to chime in.

I agree with the advice to switch up your routine. Change the order of what you're doing currently and/or introduce something new.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.