HELP! I hate my dogs!!!! (Kind of long)

allwildgirl

Cathlete
Okay, I don't REALLY hate my dogs. Here's the scoop...

We used to go to the park near us in the evening with a whole bunch of other dog owners and the dogs would run around like crazy and have fun and my dogs were FINE. Really. Well, except if Sadie saw a squirrel over yonder she'd be off like a shot:p

So, winter came, and we couldn't go the park anymore. Come spring, my dogs are suddenly the most atrocious, aggressive beasts. It's got to the point where if I'm walking them and I see someone coming with a dog, I turn around and go another way. Tonight I was walking them and this perfectly lovely old Golden came over to say hello and mine went ballistic. It's a good thing I'm strong.

So, what do I do? I can't really afford to take them both to decent obedience classes and they'd probably attack the other dogs anyway. I hate walking them. It's embarrassing and humiliating, kind of like having really poorly behaved children.

Are there any books or websites anyone can recommend that can help me with ideas of how to make them well-behaved dogs that are nice to walk?

Shelley sweetie - sounds like your dogs are just dying to get out there and play with another dog. But, you're right, you can't have them like that when you're walking them. So, can you take ONE of them to obedience class? Honestly, obedience classes are more about training the person than the dog. You can take one to class, then work with both at home.

If that's not a possibility, start with a book by Jean Donaldson called "Culture Clash". She really explains dogs in that book and helps you figure out how to communicate with your dog in a way the dog understands.

But the gist of it is that you want to make listening to you more rewarding than trying to play with other dogs (or squirrels for that matter). Every time your dogs do what you want them to do, reward the heck out of - or "throw a party". Give them special treats, praise them, love on them... Have friends with dogs walk by them (one of your dogs at a time) while you are holding the leash, and start with rewarding the less explosive behaviors. Then as they start to calm down, work on rewarding the better and better behaviors. It may take a while, but it will work.

You might think I am crazy - but it sounds like you are experiencing 'leash reactivity'. We've been spending a lot of time training our 7 month old pup. He is fine with other dogs for the most part but when walking, when he sees other dogs he goes ballistic. We spoke to our trainer and it seems they get really excited on leash - some dogs even get aggressive. It is good to continue walking them, don't stop doing that. But have your dog do a "watch" and look at you every time another dog is passing so that his attention is on you instead of locking eyes with the other dog -- or you can start walking the other direction when your dog gets excited but then turn around and walk back in the direction of the other dog once your dog has calmed - until your dog learns that he gets nowhere by acting that way. Both of these methods have helped us improve our situation but you have to keep at it. Sometimes when dogs start to develop bad behaviors (usually during their adolescence) people start to avoid things that trigger bad behavoirs - such as going out for a walk. But that is the worst thing that you can do. YOu have to keep exposing your dogs to walks and different situations so that they will be even keeled in all situations. Its not an easy fix, it takes a lot of work. You can also do searches on the web on leash reactivity in dogs and learn a lot that way.

Thanks Christine and Fitstick. Fitstick, it does sound like a leash reactivity problem. The problem is with the two of them, if one starts, it gets the other one going.

I'm going to try the things you've recommended. I definitely won't stop walking my dogs, but I really would like it to be a pleasant experience, not a chore.

Shoot, where's the "Dog Whisperer" when you need him?:7 Georgie has only been that way once, after he was recovering from a surgery, I think it was his way of letting the other dogs know he was healing or something and was being protective of himself.

My dogs HATE other dogs and in the frenzy when they spot another dog they even turn on each other. I've given up and don't care anymore, it would take more time than I care to give to ever change them, but from what I can tell from working w/ trainer long ago, time and consistancy and working with each dog individually would make a difference. If I am walking them together, I can't properly correct bad behavior. And if they are together, they are more pack like and, frankly forget that I am the pack leader. bitches.:p

Gayle - they both wear Haltis (sp?). The kind that go around the nose and attach to the collar. We got those ages ago and it does make them easier to walk.

Tneah - I can't imagine trying to restrain Georgie if he got rambunctious!

Jody - mine do the exact same thing! Well, the female does. She get all riled up and bites my male.

*sigh* I guess I'm going to have to be patient and consistent.

Yeah, its a real blast when Georgie gets a wild hair up his arse and decides to "hump" the sweet little old ladies Maltese!:eek: Thats a fun time right there.x(

Go to Cesear Millan's web site, I swear that guy has some sort of magic touch with pooches. What I have always gotten from his show, is that we humans need to establish the alpha in any situation and remain super calm.Easier said than done, but it works as far as I can see. Although George established long ago that DH was the alpha and I am mere pack member someone to be obeyed when he feels like it!:p

I have the same problem with Maggie. She thinks she's a person -- a person who hates dogs. She's good with people, but she cannot stand other dogs. She actually bit a neighbor's dog that wandered into our yard the other day. I was totally mortified. The older she gets the more cranky she is. I think she's beyond help, but I hope that you have better luck with your pups!!

My friend has two dogs and the same problem you are experiencing- where one dog goes ballistic and the dog other follows. You may need to start walking them separately as well as training them together.

We have two dogs (an older and younger) but only the young pup has leash reactivity. This morning we went on a long walk and it was tough. He goes ballistic when he sees other dogs, people riding bikes, skateboards etc. I really hope we can get him out of his funk but it can be very very frustrating and it won't happen overnight.

Hang in there, I know its not easy.

Shelley,

I can relate to your frustration. Whereas, 4 of my dogs are friendly to other dogs and love to play, Shiloh is a menace. When he sees a dog no matter how far away, he goes ballistic! He wasn't always that way though.

I don't think obedience class will do you any good, most trainers only do the clicker training/rewards training to teach your dog how to sit, stay, down .... they usually do not address behaviour modification and quite frankly, many of them don't have the skills that are required for that. What you would need is a dog behaviorist.

A book that I would highly recommend is Eileen Tonick's "All dogs are angels at heart" Here is the link http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~47827.aspx

Let me know if they cannot ship to Canada and I will get it for you and mail it. Eileen actually is my dogs' agility trainer. Whereas I am also a certified dog trainer, I hired her when I was at my wits' end with Shiloh.

You mentioned in your post that you use one of those halties that attach to the collar, the problem with most regular collars is that they sit too low on the neck which makes corrections very ineffective and sometimes even dangerous (the dog's trachea could easily get hurt because the dog keeps pulling and pulling when they get excited). The best training aids are the ones that stay very high on the dog's neck, right behind their ears. It makes it almost impossible for the dog to pull, jump up and down, etc. because the collar is on the neck where the dog's pressure points are.

So, on the gentle leader, I would look for something like this
http://www.edogsncats.com/html/gentleleaderfull.htm?gclid=CITBi4vN55ICFRwqagodXTy14Q

This is what I am using with Shiloh and really hard to train, excitable dogs. It's sometimes called the "10-minute attitude adjuster". Don't get me wrong, most dogs will fight it in the beginning and turn into a bucking horse for a while :). Just keep walking and ignore the behavior, your dog WILL follow.

The other one is actually a show collar, when you see dogs at dog shows they always walk or trot upright, paying attention to their handler. It's not the dog necessarily being well trained, it is the collar. It forces their head up because again, it sits right behind their ears and targets the dog's pressure point.

http://www.ryanspet.com/ryanspet/productList.asp?categoryCode=283&startItemCnt=1

These are not regular choke collars, they are much thinner which makes it much easier to give quick correction, because they move easily through that loop and again it targets the pressure points of the dog. Be careful not to jank too hard on it though, a quick pull is enough to get their attention without injury.

I was training a dog that almost pulled the owner's arm out of the socket every time she was walking her. After 30 minutes of corrections with that collar my 8-year-old son was able to walk the dog without problems.

With your dogs both going ballistic, it is also pack mentality kicking in, one starts it and the other one joins in. As it was said before, it might be better to take them separately for walks, at least until you get that problem under control. You have to correct the dog immediately when she starts her behavior and it is hard to do with two at the same time.

So, what you do whenever your dog exhibits unwanted behavior, like the barking or lunging at other dogs, immediately give a quick pull on the leash and/or snap your finger and point at her and say in a very firm voice "No", "Ahah", "Hey" or whatever word you want to use. It doesn't matter what you say, it is the energy you project.

If she still keeps going, move right in front of her and walk towards her, blocking her, basically hovering over her, keep the leash tight until she sits, rolls on her back or otherwise submits to you. If that still doesn't work and she keeps barking, or barks again walk her away from the situation, getting her mind off and focus on you.

You just have to be very consistent with that, she will eventually understand but it is not going to happen overnight.

As to why your dogs are doing it, I have no idea. Different dogs have different boundaries, some dogs will let other dogs almost step on them without doing anything and other dogs, like Shiloh have boundaries that when they see another dog 1 mile away, they go ballistic. Those boundaries can change based on events in their life, in Shiloh's case, he was attacked a few times and he panicks, starts barking, shushing them away. Aside from fear it could be that your dogs are overly excited, don't get enough exercise, are not challenged enough, have taken over the leadership from you and see themselves now as the alpha-dog defending the pack, or .... you probably are the better judge of that.

Whatever the reason is, you have to make it clear to them that you are the one in charge and that their behavior is unacceptable. If you keep going like that it WILL get worse. There is something called negative programming, if you keep letting them get away with it, they think it is okay, actually what is expected from them and taking over leadership more and more.

With Shiloh it got so bad that he negatively effected the basically calm/submissive structure of my pack and they started turning on each other, with very serious dog fights amongst them, all 5 of them going at each other. Not a pretty picture!!

I am working with Shiloh every day and there are small victories, like today he let a pitbull puppy get close to him (which is major because both serious attacks that triggered his behavior were pitbulls) and he even rolled over and let her sniff him for a couple of minutes before he all over sudden turned AGAIN, and then there are setbacks, lots of them. But I keep exposing him to other dogs in a controlled environment to slowly increase his boundaries. It's a long way ahead.

Don't feel bad, stuff like that happens, even with all I know about dogs, I allowed Shiloh's issues get out of hand. It's just a matter of regrouping and (re)claiming your status as the pack leader. After all, who is the one who is putting food in their bowls :).

I know it is embarrassing, annoying, frustrating ...... But don't give up on them. The beautiful thing about dogs is, they live in the moment what happened yesterday or what happens tomorrow doesn't matter to them.

Sorry this was so long-winded, I hope it helps.

Oh boy Shell, I really feel for ya! I had the same problem with my dachshunds (they were very bad doggies--cute, but very bad :p), but at least they were small and fairly easy to control. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I really don't have anything to add to the great advice that's already been given.

LMAO at tneah's dog humping the Maltese! :7

I bet if you took them out separately a few times to get them back into the groove and then try them together it will work out. I have two dogs close in age. They both get really excited about other dogs. It takes a bit but my Dane settles after a short time. My lab mix takes a bit. They still get excited over people but other animals are worse. I take them with me when I pick up the grandchildren to keep them used to going out and seeing people. I never put them through obedience classes but have read a lot and for the most part they are pretty well behaved dogs. My DD put hers through classes and she is still having lots of problems. I think it is how much time you are willing to spend with your dog.
One dog does usually get the other one going.

http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

I don't claim to be an expert, but my friend tried to block her dog when he was very excited and it resulted in a bite to her leg. The dog is not aggressive towards people, but she blocked him when he was very excited and probably didn't do it correctly. I would be very careful in using this technique without a skilled trainer at hand.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.