Heart Rate Monitors

D

Denice

Can anyone suggest a heart rate monitor that is in your opinion good and not too expensive. Thanks in advance. Denice.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 10:04PM (Est)[/font][p]Denise,

I have the Polar Target Heart Rate Monitor which I purchased at #####'s Sporting Goods for $79. There are cheaper ones also available but the reason I chose this particular model is because it has an alarm that alerts you if you either fall below or exceed your heart rate limit.

P.S. As I was reading my reply I noted that part of the name of the Sporting Good store where I purchased this item is not coming up (why is it being blocked out???) but if you are interested it is the name of a man,
D- - K's Sporting Goods stores - they also have a website if there isn't one of these stores in your area - wow, this is the first time that I have been on a website and seen something blocked.

If you have a #####'s Sporting Goods or any other sporting goods stores (larger ones) they will have the best prices and should have a good selection to choose from. I have one of the cheapest Polar heart rate monitors (I can't remember which style, but it only cost $ 50); it has large numbers to make it easy to read along with a file to store your average heartrate for the previous run. The internet has good prices, until you pay for tax, shipping and handeling. Good luck!

If I were buying a new monitor, I'd try and get one that collects a little data--I understand some will give you feed back on what your average heart rate was during your workout! Wouldn't that be nice to know? jeanne

I was actually going to post about HRMs today. Just got a new one from Sports Instruments to try out. It works (read picks up a signal) MUCH better than a basic Sigma one I had about 2 years ago. I used the monitor for IMax today, and I was going to post and say how helpful it is to have a HRM. A lot of times mentally I fatigue, so I think I'm working harder than I might actually be and that in turn makes me quit pushing myself. The HRM is a good reality check. If my mind is telling me I'm tired, I can look at my wrist and check where my heart rate is and know whether or not I'm REALLY working as hard as I THINK I am. I think HRMs are a great investment in yourself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.