healthy lunches for DH?

kellib

Cathlete
I'm a vegan but my dh is a meat and potatoes type of guy through and through. He's going to be a full time student plus working full time this spring and I want to help by making his lunches each day - usually he's on his own.
Any ideas for healthy, easy and fast to make lunches that a meat and potatoes guy would go for? Normally he takes a lunchmeat (Healthy choice) plus kraft singles sandwich on wheat but I'd like to get away from the lunchmeat since it's so salty and not really that healthy (imho). He usually takes a piece of fruit and that's about it.
I'm not fond of fixing meat-y type things but I'll do it for him - I'd like to stay away from cutting up raw chicken and really messy things like that...

Thanks!!!

Boy,that's a tough one! My hubby is too a meat and potatoes man however, I'm not a vegan! :) I don't know what you make him for dinner but is there a way you can make extras for him to take to work/school too? Some people take their Sundays to fix lunches for the week. My hubby is now on a diet so he's asked me to make him tuna salad or chicken salad sandwiches and fruit with mini carrots and pretzels. He also loves left overs so I always make extra in the evenings.
It's hard feeding our meaty men isn't it?! Susan

Does he have access to a microwave or heat source? This makes a huge difference and allows for leftovers, soups, etc. If he doesn't, I would stick to sandwiches made with home-cooked meat (buy frozen chicken breasts and season them yourself) that way you can monitor the sodium, fat, etc.

Water your fitness level every day and watch it grOW!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-03 AT 04:44PM (Est)[/font][p]thanks for the suggestions
Yes he has access to a microwave and fridge at work. HOwever, that's a good point though - on days when he's in class in the am he might not have fridge access....this is going to be harder than I originally thought!!!

For dinner, I always make us salads plus something for me and he was on his own. I just started making more recipes from my vegan cookbooks and other vegan sources for us to eat together. He'll eat them, no problem (some he likes better than others!!) and he does his 'meat thing' for lunch. Sometimes he'll make a separate dinner for himself - like tuna sandwiches or mac n' cheese. He doesn't usually take the leftovers - sometimes if it was a really good recipe, there won't be leftovers (some of those recipes are just not as filling as non-vegan recipes).

I'd hoped to make him something other than leftovers and was considering purchasing non-pre packaged meat to fix up for his lunches...this is going to be interesting and difficult but he is soooooo worth it!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.