Healthcare Career for an Introvert?

naughtoj

Cathlete
Well, looking at abondoning nursing as a career choice. After much thought, I don't think I can be successful in a profession that is that social and that "helpful".

I am pretty introverted, but like science, so I have switched gears to primarily looking into Medical Laboratory Technology. It would require more school, but if it meant a lifetime of doing something I loved, it would be worth it.

Those of you in healthcare...can you think of any other careers in healthcare that would suit an introvert with a very investigative and detail oriented personality type? In addition, would research nursing still be a possibility for me or do any specialty of nursing would be out? If I can't see myself enjoying bedside care, I can't see myself succeeding in nursing. Thoughts?

I will most likely be getting my nursing school acceptance letter soon, so now is the time for me to DECIDE, one way or another.

Lab professionals.......pros and cons of your job? Like the most/least? Any info would be great.....:)

Thanks all!!

Hi Janice,

I am an introvert (an INFJ on the Myer Briggs type test) and I have qualifications as a pharmacist and an exercise physiologist.

I do my best work in small community pharmacies where I can get to know my client base really well. I have enjoyed personal training too (prefer one on one).

Interestingly enough I have instructed group fitness for nearly 20 years - it's my chance to exercise my creative side, be a "star" for an hour and then go home and be completely quiet and introverted.

It's worth doing the MBTI, although I'm introverted, medical research would bore me to death, I need more creative force in play to be happy.

Hope that helps!
Liz N

Hi Janice
I've been an RN for 15 yrs,with my BSN and a few certifications.

I currently work in two different areas of nursing, mostly because i love them both, both are part time and i can manage it.

If you are introverted, don't like to deal with people, nursing may not be a good choice. Nursing school alone puts you thru alot of clinicals involving alot of patient/family/ staff stuff.
HOWEVER, i could never stand in front of a group and speak, i have total social anxiety when it comes to that, and i just don't do that at work. My patient/ nurse interaction is so one to one or to family that it doesn't bother me at all. I actually like the relationships i've built with patients and the families.

But, if you are sure this isn't the career for you, i would suggest lab work, pathology etc..... Maybe X-ray tech )radiation therapy is great too. i work in radiation oncology and those therapist make good $$$..

Please let me know if i can be any help. I've worked in all kinds of nursing environments.

Hi, if you are into investagative science, I would not recommend Medical Technology. You would only be performing routine standardized assays according to SOPs. I would recommend a job in a research lab.This would fit right into your investagative interests. Typically you would need at least a BS. With no experience you could start in an academic lab and then move to a commercial setting if interested. Some academic labs may start you without a BS but your pay would be alot lower and you might not be given much other than glassware duty to start.

I guess I'm considered an introvert. I hate to put myself in social situations where I'm in a room full of strangers and I'm forced to make small talk. And forget public speaking!!!

That said, I've been a nurse for close to 20 years. I was even a nurse manager (quite a good one, so I was told!) prior to leaving work to be a SAHM. I have to say that despite the fact that I'm relatively introverted, my personality seemed to change when I was at work. Call it self-assurance, self-confidence (whatever!) but when I was at work I was able to develop the ability to command the room. I never had any problem dealing with people or patients and I had little difficulty letting my voice be heard.

I'm not saying nursing is for you, but not all nurses are extroverts!

Janice,

Just because you're an introvert doesn't mean you couldn't succeed at nursing. Sounds like something specific happened to make you change your mind considering you really had your heart set on this. DH is an introvert but he has always challenged himself to become more social. But if you think this would be too stressful for you...

Anyway, I think the forensic science idea is fabulous. If I had it to do over again I would have pursed a career as a Profiler for the FBI.

Janice:

I completely agree with the above poster and with Candi, and I have been thinking of how to word my response to you for several hours now.
Janice, you are a real sensitive soul, perhaps someone who has a tendency to think things through and analyze them and your feelings too much, as I know I do. A kindred spirit is what I see in you, which is why your post struck me, and of all the posts up here this week, this one commands a response.

Being able to talk the hind legs of a donkey is NOT a job requirement nor is it a personality requirement for successful nursing. Rather, intelligence, aan understanding of fellow humans and their suffering, caring, taking the initiative, rapid response, an eye for detail, thoroughness, being able to follow through, quick-wittedness, alertness and empathy are, it seems to me. And I think you probably have all of the latter. These are the qualities I would want in my nurse/care taker. I don't care whether she talks much to me or not. If her hands are gentle, or determined when they need to be, if she knows exactly what she's doing and why, if she responds to my needs, and refuses t oindulge me when that would be detrimental to my well-being, then she can be as silent as the grave. I like silence, I respect it in other people. I always chat to my nurses when in hospital and at doctor's consultation rooms because it eases my anxiety at being there and because I am fascinated by people and what makes them choose certain professions. They always answer my questions but that doesn't mean that they will suddenly volunteer loads of information about their personal lives or feel obligated to entertain me for the duration. That's not their job. And I don;t expect it of them.

While not in the field of nursing myself, rather in the field of teaching and education, I have found, as the above poster tesified, that the degree of introvertedness of one's personality is not the defining factor that dictates whether an individual will be successful in a more "social" kind of job or not.

My younger sister is an extrovert, completely a more outwardly going social person than myself. And yet, she was #### as a teacher whilst doing her training. She could not command a room, the students did not pay her any attention at all. She transmitted the wrong attiutde. On the other hand, myself, an introvert who suffers depression as you do, I am rather good at teaching in fact. I can command a room. My students listen up and they take me seriously. I never talk the back legs off a donkey. I don't have to. I am well prepared, well organized, my goals and objectives are sharply delineated, I know exactly what I want to achieve, but I retain the flexibility and humility, I like to think, to accept the unexpected in the classroom.

I think nursing must be something like this.

No-one ever said that in either teaching or nursing, the "caring social professions", that you have to give ALL of yourself. In fact, quite the opposite is true for to do so leads to inevitable burn out. You need to keep a silent core of your real self at a safe distance from your job sphere. Our personalities inevityble shine through in the way that we go about our work, but that doesn't mean that I shower my students with personal information, nor that I bombard them with my own opinions. The classroom is not about me, it's about them and what we can create together. Even though you may start off nervous when working in social spheres, confidence grows with experience and becomes way more important for sucessful teaching and nursing than your basic underlying personality. Confidence and knowledge way outweigh extrovertedness in importance.

Again, maybe nursing is not for you. But, as Candi suspects and I do also, it seems that something has suddenly scared you or made you do a double take. What is it? Are you sudddenly doubting your abilities to be a good nurse? Why?

I'd much rather have a quietly competent nurse than a bumbling babbler.

My final advice: to find your place in this world, you have to follow your passion. Where does yours lead you?

Thinking of you,

Clare :)

I am with Candi and Clare, what changed your mind? I am very much an introvert, and I am a FANTASTIC nurse. :) I know many, many nurses that are introverts.

Autumn

Geez Clare........you are so deep.......and so wise!!!:)

>Janice:
>
"perhaps someone who has
>a tendency to think things through and analyze them and your
>feelings too much">
>

You betcha! My main problem!!

"Rather, intelligence, aan understanding of fellow
>humans and their suffering, caring,"

This Clare, is what I am unsure that I have. I tend to not care much for other poeple. I know that sounds very bad, but it is true. Like when my husband gets sick.......I am very unsympathetic. I am not a "motherly" type. Co-workers get sick? Basically, I think they should have ate better, slept more, and partied less. I guess I just don't see myself as compassionate enough. On the flip side, however, when I did my NA class and had to work in the LTC facility it was very hard. I was suprised to find myself very upset and disturbed with how those elder people lived and their quality of life. I truly felt bad for them. But, I did not feel comfortable in the environment. I felt very out of place and lacked the words of comfort. Over time, I see that sort of suffering wearing on me deep down. When I was in the ER last week, I thought, "Do I really want to be around sick people 24/7? All the suffering?" Plus, factor in immense stress and the liability and that is what makes me question my choice. Yes, I am an introvert, but more significant, I don't think I have a deep desire to help all people. I think I am affected by their suffering, but I don't know if I could provide the care they would need emotionally. Do you see? I think I can say alot more here because we are not talking in person. I find it easier to say what I mean on internet boards. Conveying emotion is much harder for me in person.

I wish I could just try out both careers!

What is it? Are you sudddenly
>doubting your abilities to be a good nurse? Why?

No, it is not "all of a sudden". This doubt has been here all the time and has been what has fed my indecisiveness regarding my career choice.

>My final advice: to find your place in this world, you have to
>follow your passion. Where does yours lead you?

I wish you could tell me, Clare.

However, I have made advising appts for March at ASU.....now looking in to BSN or BS in something. Still waiting on nursing acceptance from the community college, so we will see what comes of that.

Thinking of you as well Clare,

Candi.....forensic science sounds fun, really, but I need something I can get into relatively soon. I took many of these college classes a long time ago and alot of bachelors programs have cut off as far as how long ago classes can be taken as well as minimum GPA requirements. I don't want to go back and retake things and I am looking to graduate within a few years. In addition, I may one day move to a rural town so I would like there to be opportunity there as well, which makes nursing a great choice.

Profiler for the FBI.........sounds like a dream job......except for the travel!!:)

Thank you for your advice.

Cathy.....I always love hearing from you. I remember you as the one with the "dream job".:) I'm sure it is not to you! LOL!

Your commets are real food for thought, thank you. Thank you Wendy and Liz as well. You guys make me think there is hope for me yet!

Janice,
A fellow introvert here. I am trying to put myself in those situations that makes me be more social. I still am not comfortable with it. I would like to be behind planning, decision making etc. w/o meeting the people. I am extremely shy. Terribly as a child. I have found if forced into situations it does get easier. Now if you are looking for a comfortable job position, let me know if you find it. I would like to study and get into being a nutritionist. I am thinking going to school for this would be entertaining. But how to apply it. I would love to work in public education as a nutritionist.
Diane Sue

I am an INTJ on the MBTI. I have worked as a medical tech, and as a research lab tech. The research stuff is more interesting, not just doing the same thing over and over by SOP as someone posted above. And nursing, no WAY! I mean, I can get into a "helpful" and social persona for awhile, but not all day every day. I am just not that good with the public, particularly not if I "decide" that they aren't taking care of themselves and so shouldn't be sick, blablablabla. I can be so judgemental.

Just my 2 cents. Lab jobs are good because you are never with the public, just a few people in your area, and you get to develop good relationships with those few people. Mostly you work alone and develop very precise technique and solve problems all the time. Good luck.

I am an ENFP on the MBTI translated: Extrovert, Intuitive, Feeling and Perceptive. I didn't chose my career, it chose me by default. I do Finance and accounting work. Most of the people who CHOSE my line of work are INTJ. It was stressful for me at first and still can be stressful at times but I have strengthened the side of me that was very, very weak by exercising (if you will) the other side of my brain.

When I say it chose me I mean that I started as a temp and then just gravitated to the Finance position because of the $$$$$. I couldn't depend on my ex, so I positioned myself in the company where I knew I could eventually make it on my own financially. Now I make damn good money and over the past few years have won awards. Through hard work and good teaming skills, in 2001 I was voted most MVP by my peers to win the top award given by my company. I'm not telling you this to brag but to prove just because you have a certain personality type, doesn't mean you can't succeed. It takes setting goals, hard work and BELIEVING IN YOURSELF.

Janice, I am an introvert and a nurse. I work in NICU and I find that ICU nursing works out well for me. The patients are very complex, There is a lot to know and many opportunities to be stimulated and apply your knowledge. When you only have one or two patients you can really focus on their disease process and work with the doctors on finding the best course of treatment. Just a thought!

Well, I am not too much closer to making a decision, but I do appreciate all the feedback, thank you!

Maria, interesting about being an ICU nurse! Thanks for posting. Never quite thought of that. Hmmm. Mogambo.....what you mention is exactly what appeals to me about working in a lab. I have an appt with an advisor for CLS, so we'll see.....

CandiK........are we opposites or what? LOL! I register on ALL scales as an ISTJ. On the various tests, I also came out "The gaurdian", "The loyalist", ummm........, I am a "maestro" not a "tribal". Pretty much done all of em and they all basically tell me the same thing so one thing I am sure of is my personality traits!!:)

Hi Janice,

I'm not a very social person by nature. I've been a Medical Lab Tech for about twenty years. I've worked in all areas of the lab and different shifts. The part of the work I do not like is phlebotomy.I do not like the patient interaction and hurting them.

As far as it being routine I have to disagree. I've worked in the Microbiology lab for about 15 years now. This is one of the more manual departments of the lab. You have to want to solve puzzles. The bacteria do not always follow the book.

As far as schooling, Their are programs out there that are Associate degrees ( 2 years of schoolin plus internship). In some states it allows you to work at the same level as a 4 year degree person but are not able to hold higher positions.

Maybe you could shadow someone in the laboratory of your local hospital for a day. This would let you see what an average day would be like. We let high school kids do this on career day.

Just a thought.

Good luck in deciding.

Elaine :)

Janice, I think Nancy is an ISTJ. She is a big-shot Manhattan corporate attorney. How does that sound? }( }(

I am so evil.

I don't post a lot but this got my attention. I'm an RN and work in CCU (coronary care unit) I am a very compassionate person and very "chatty". I can usually get a rapport going with just about anyone, and sometimes consider it a challenge to break through and reach my patients, and their families. I often get put into situations where families or patients have been unhappy with their care, or had a situation with a previous nurse, because I can usually turn that around. That is my gift. But, it is sometimes hard even for me. It's hard to remain nonjudgemental when you see people who have ruined their physical health, and yet want modern medicine to "fix them up" so they can go out and continue what they were doing... Then there are the sweetest, most wonderful, salt of the earth patients whom you love to care for. It varies day to day and each area of nursing is a little different.

I work with other extroverts and many introverts. Together we are a great team. Each person brings their own special personality and talents into what they do. As a team we are really awesome together!

Can I ask you WHY you would you want to be a nurse? What attracts you to this? I think that should be the underlying question. Because undoubtably you are intelligent enough, and ambitious enough. But, the basis of nursing is about helping others, and it does take genuine compassion. I think it's too easy to burn out when caring and compassion aren't there. I see this with a lot of nurse who went into it for "good money". It's hard work and emotionally stressful much of the time.

My DH is an RN and works with pediatrics. He absolutely loves working with children. It's totally different than adults. He is also considering research down the line, as his initial medical background was in research. He's an extrovert. You wouldn't think an extrovert would be good at research.

Getting through nursing school you will encounter patients, families, students, instructors...whom you will have to be social with. After you finish and have some basic experience you can branch out into many areas where you don't have to be so "chatty" and so social. It's a great career, if it's what you truly want. The bottom line, in bedside nursing or research is that it's all about helping humankind. You sound like you are someone who would like to do that, and make a good living at the same time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us updated!
Lynn ;-)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.