Having knee issues

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I discovered cathe in Nov. 2006 and have been working outs ever since. In July 2010 I had my daughter so I really didn't do any working out for about 6 months. I finally eased back into it after she was around 2-3 months. She is now 18 months old but because life has been a little busy since having her and 2 other girls I haven't been able to really get back to my usual working out routine.
Yesterday I did intensity and toward the 30 minute mark my left knee began to bother me. I had to stop. This has never happen to me before and my shoulder too! Once I stopped it didn't hurt anymore and I was not sore the next day. What does this mean??? That I have to push through and build it up or that I have to back off???? I'm so disappointed....

If it is negative pain, you should not work through it.

I would start with shorter, less impact routines and work yourself up to the full length workout.

Most definitely do not push through any discomfort in your knee! I developed chondromalacia in my knees due to too much high impact on a surface without enough shock absorption (thin carpet/pad over hardwood floor). Be very careful and don't be afraid to modify any moves that don't feel right. I found certain moves in Intensity hurt my knees, specifically the "bunny hops" in the high impact Hiit section. After I was diagnosed I also did physical therapy where they found I had a muscle imbalance (glutes/hamstrings weak relative to quads and adductors). That imbalance caused my knees to bow inward easily during movements like lunges, etc. Pair that with a lot of high impact at the time and that spelled trouble. Good luck!

I've been having reoccurring knee pain for several years now. No medical issues, just irritation from high impact w/o's, front lunges and squats. Now that I alternate between hi/low, my knee pain is almost gone. I also don't do forward lunges anymore, they seem to really aggravate my knee's the most. If you are really concerned, talk to your practitioner. I agree with Colleen, some moves just don't "feel right" so you have to modify. I understand your frustration, but please don't get discouraged.

Take care,

Natasha

I agree with Colleen, some moves just don't "feel right" so you have to modify. I understand your frustration, but please don't get discouraged.

Take care,

Natasha

I have the same opinion. It just depends on the move in question. When it comes to joints, not doms, don't ignore sharp pain. I used to do more Kathy Smith when I was younger, but some of her choreography was harder on my knees even though the intensity was less than a Cathe workout. I discovered I was more fit but my knees just needed a different style of workout. There are some moves in Cathe's CCC workout that I don't do because it irritates my back, so I don't do those ones either for pretty much the same reason. So, I guess what I'm saying is, don't worry about the moves that you can't do, just focus on what does feel ok to you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.