Has this ever happened to you?????

intensitylisa

Cathlete
;( Hi All! I don't know what it is but everytime I do a high intensity workout my lower legs get real itchy, sometimes to the point where I itch them so intensly they bleed. I was wondering if it is because my skin is getting so warm. Any hints as to what is causing this and has this happened to any of you? Thanks! :D

DH's cousin was recently telling me how her son is really getting into working out. He is lifting and doing push ups and such. Well, he was complaining to his mom about a rash on his upper back (between his shoulder blades or on one of them, not quite sure). He told her it would itch like crazy but never told her when it would itch. Well she finally was around when he was doing push ups and it started "itching" him and he yelled for his mom. Turns out it was his muscles burning from his work out and the "rash" was just him irritating his skin with excessive scratching....so maybe this is what's happening to you?

Just a thought!:)

ETA: I get itchy when I sweat if my skin is dry...the onset of cold weather starts this for me and it's quite annoying and VERY uncomfortable!!! Could be that too!

I've had itchy legs sometimes after a workout.
Don't know what it's from (an ex once told me that itchiness can be due to eating too much sugar, but he didn't know much, so I am skeptical).

Maybe we are having some reaction to our sweat?

If you find out, let me know. My calves were on-and-off itchy quite a bit at the end of the summer (and I KNOW it wasn't poison ivy--the usual culprit--because it was specifically in one spot and started one night with one leg, then the other).

I'm assuming it isn't your laundry or clothes...

I get a terribly itchy face after some of my runs in cold weather. If I put on lotion before the run, my face itches like crazy. If I don't put the lotion on, no problems...

Hope you can get to the bottom of this- it sounds painful!!

There is such a thing as exercise induced urticaria (hives) I have it but only when I exercise out doors. It's due to an increase in histamine. You might try taking Claratin over the counter to see if that helps (Of course if you're not allergic). This can be a serious problem though and you should check it out with a health care provider. Here's a link to read on: http://familydoctor.org/737.xml

Also if I remember correctly eating certain foods prior to working out can be the cause.

Catherine

I think I have experienced exactly what you are describing. It first appeared for me when I was pregnant with my son seven years ago and trying to fast walk/jog. My thighs and sides would start to prickle and itch so bad I would have to run to the bathroom, rip down my pants and scratch my legs until they looked like they had welts. Once it happened, it seemed to happen whenever I did any sort of running activity (not step or anything else). I told my Dr. and he said it could very well be due to increased blood flow, which can itch. However, after the pregnancy it continued to happen whenever I tried to jog. I am able to jog and run now because I deliberately fought through it to the point that it subsided. My thoughts are that it is from the increased blood flow circulating in your muscles during an intense, high impact workout. I was able to overcome it by walking, then slow jogging, then increasing my pace over time. Make sense? I'm not sure how to prevent it with other activities (like Cathe cardio) except to cut out the jumping and see if the itching doesn't appear, and then gradually add the higher impact stuff, stopping if the prickling happens, and then trying it again.

HTH,
Kelly

Yes...and it also happens to me when I go outside in the cold for a prolonged period of time. I try not to scratch and don't bleed, although I have gotten many a scratch or two. I think it is something to do w/circulation, although that is based on nothing but a guess!

I never really associated my itchiness to exercise. I have thought for me it was a kind of excema. But I have found that when I don't drink enough water the itchiness can get worse. Actually just reading this is making my legs itch!!!...LOL...:)...Carole

Ha Carole!

That is too funny! Makes me want to itch too! Speaking of this, it reminds me of when someone yawns, it makes me yawn...why is it contagious...does anyone know? Lisa, sorry to hi-jack your thread, wish I knew. Good Luck and TRY not to scratch!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Ha Carole!

>That is too funny! Makes me want to itch too! Speaking of
>this, it reminds me of when someone yawns, it makes me
>yawn...why is it contagious...does anyone know?

I have no idea, but it is.
And, even stranger, just thinking about yawning makes me want to yawn (I just did!). Maybe, since yawning is a way of getting more oxygen to the brain, the brain interprets someone else yawning as a cue that there is a need for more oxygen (like the other person knows something our brain hasn't noticed yet?)

>That is too funny! Makes me want to itch too! Speaking of
>this, it reminds me of when someone yawns, it makes me
>yawn...why is it contagious...does anyone know? Lisa, sorry to
>hi-jack your thread, wish I knew. Good Luck and TRY not to
>scratch!
>
Debbie....you and Kathryn are making me laugh!!! The yawning thing is bizarre. I swear, I can feel quite wide awake and when one of my clients yawns...I do too!! Then I look around my shop and some of the hairdressers are yawning too....way contagious!...:)...Carole

My legs have always done this when i run or walk briskly. I have clawed myself to death. That is the only time this happens and i have asked my doctor about it also. he said it is just caused by increased circulation......but then why does it only happen when i'm running or walking fast???? weird! it does go away if i just keep going :) (which is difficult to do when your bent down scratching!)

jes

I have this happen to my thighs when I first start jogging after a long laspe in activity. I always associated it with the increase in circulation. Mine usually stops happening after a week or two of being consistent with my routine. Warm bath after working out seemed to relieve it. Running outdoors in colder weather makes my worse. Maybe due to the effects of cold skin combined with warm blood.

Jean

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.