Hardcore Fitness Maniacs Check In for Thurs 3-30

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Fitness Maniacs -

This morning I did Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge with the Power Up Section at the end. I did not use my rebounder, as I was not familiar with the workout and it's a bit too much impact for my back and neck. My knees have also been hurting lately. I'll feel better when I know when to go to the rebounder for the best workout. I was never on the same foot as her and had trouble following it, but not so much that I didn't get a good workout.

Regarding the workout: It was more of a steady state cardio but my HR stayed in the 140's and 150's. It seems like it goes at a rapid pace and doesn't slow down at all. At the 30 minute mark, I was fatigued and pushing. She doesn't have real dancy coreography, it's more athletic (which I like), but because she doesn't break anything down and I'm not familiar with her moves or style, it was hard to follow. I'm sure it will get easier with time. I will also be glad when I know how to modify parts on the rebounder. The Power Up Section has to be selected right when you get to the end of the bulk of the workout (I believe 40 min). It consists of a lot of flying jacks, jumps onto the step, power ups over the step, and jump kicks. She has some unique moves and some different names for a few familiar moves....as with any instructor. Also, she does not stretch you out like Cathe does. I felt like I needed more of a stretch....espeically after all of that jumping, but I didn't have time to do any on my own.

As far as her personality and the whooping factor.....she does whoop quite a bit, but I don't even know if I would have mentioned that if it had not been brought up on another thread. It doesn't bother me. She seems to be a very energetic person (perhaps high strung) and she's a very vocal instructor in that she whoops and says yea...c'mon a lot. She also encourages whooping among her "team" which she calls the class. I liked her because she seems very passionate about exercise and she is advanced. This is funny, but I also like that she turns a bit red when exercising. It made her seem very real to me, as I'm very fair skinned and tend to get beet red in my face when I workout intensely and I've never seen another instructor do that (I know - I'm weird).

I also previewed the Bootcamp DVD and very briefly viewed the stretch and Weight DVD. It was getting late and I was running out of time. Bootcamp looks fun. You do need quite a bit of equipment with her workouts. She even uses the rag slide on the floor like Tracie Long in BBBB. My gliding discs will work fine or carpet, or you can use a paper plate. She uses a loaded barbell at 40 pounds in her weight segments. More later......as I do them or later if I have more time to preview the weighted one and stretch one.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. This are a nice compliment to Cathe's workouts. I have not read the Amy Bento thread lately cuz it upsets me to read so much negativity, but anyone that doesn't open their mind up enough to try Amy is only hurting themselves! They might miss out on a solid advanced workout. I definitely am looking forward to the 2 additional DVDs in April.

Whew............that was lenghty.......sorry.

I may do Turbo Jam tomorrow and my other Amy's over the weekend. I want to come up with a rotation that allows me one day of Power Yoga, but I haven't sat down to figure something out. I still need to lose weight. I am at my "do not go over" weight and have been here for a while. I'm finally off of my prednisone, so hopefully I'll stop being so hungry...or maybe not and maybe I'm just a little piggie.

Have great workouts and get your credit cards out for Amy's workouts! It will help fill the gap without the new Cathe's.

ETA: Marietta & Sabrina - I need your addresses......Please also let me know how you like them when you receive them.

Here's a review on the Bootcamp one from over at VF:

I hope that I can do a fair and informative review since so many people are wondering about Amy Bento's workouts. First, I should tell you that I enjoy advanced workouts and tend to be an intensity junkie. I usually work out with Cathe Videos but love, love, love Seasun's Rock Steady Step. I am not a big fan of strength training but I do it regularly. I particularly like working my chest and and triceps (love cathe's gym style chest and triceps). I recently acquired the TLTs, and while I'm not in love with BBBB, I do like Jen Carmen's workout Strength in Movement. I love experimenting with non - traditional strength training because, frankly, I think it's boring. Now that you know where I'm coming from . . . here we go . . .

This workout is deceptive. The drills appear to be easy when you first see them demonstrated, however, once you put some power into them and do them for two minutes, you are indeed winded. Some interesting drills were the squat curtsies, the river dance jumps, and the v - jumps on the step. She also does power lunges on the right and then the left. These and the v - jumps (which is similar to a squat) produced a nice little burn in my quads. They were really very interesting -- imagine jumping up on your step and landing in a squat . . . I was close to my anaerobic threshold at the end of each drill and could have reached it had I put my all into it, but since I was just learning, I held back.

The strength training was also interesting in that each segment was slightly or completely different than the normal movement. For example, you do one - legged deadlifts. Maybe you guys have done these before, but I hadn't. Now, I happen to be a BIG fan of deadlifts and so I found these quite enjoyable. The lunges were cool too, because, while you're in the lunge position, you pull your dumbell around your front to the other side (I'm not sure what the benefit of this is, but I liked it.). Another move I liked was the shoulder work: the dumbells go up in a military press, then you bring them down and pull them across your chest and then push them back up. It felt good. The ab work was fun (pikes are getting easier for me) and had a few unusual moves, but some may not feel that there's enough. My abs aren't my concern and so it doesn't bother me -- I'll get more ab work elsewhere. The squats on the ball - you bounce - were fun and, boy, did they burn!!!

I think one of the most surprising aspects of this workout are the water breaks. Again, you guys might be used to seeing instructors on video do it, but I'm not. I found it refreshing (in more ways than one). In addition, her stretches between the drills are longer than what you normally get. I llike this because it takes away that dread factor somewhat.

I like Amy as an instructor. She's motivating and has her funny moments, but she's not chatty. I know that some people were concerned about the whooping, but there isn't that much of it in this one, and it actually helps you get through some of those aerobic drills. This will make a nice complement to your other workouts. I think when you add in some more strength training (I've read that her pump dvd is great) and some more cardio, you can get a well - rounded workout. I think that this workout would really lean you out --it has an element of functional fitness in it. It's a keeper.
[Reply With Quote] [Quick reply to this message]

Good Morning Maniacs!!

Yesterday I worked out biceps/triceps and shoulders w/o video. I have serious DOMS in my biceps this morning...ouchy! Fighting for it too much!!! LOL! Also did 1 set of BBM w/weights and some plyometric stuff....saved some scoop away buckets and used them as hurdles and had them lined up outside so I could jump over them. It really works well and I don't have to make a scene jumping over trees! Like the privacy alittle more because I can concentrate better. I do this right by the sunroom (workout room) with windows open and stereo blasting so I get to jump while listening to great music! Also did some jumping off my stepper into a wide squat position in sets.

Today I was going to run, but will settle for KPC and Legs/Glutes. Still might run after KPC, but it will be a short run.

Charlotte~~

Hello Everyone,
Today I will do EFM and S&H triceps and ride my airdyne. (Yesterday I went 10 miles)

Lora thanks for the WONDERFUL review!! So do you think you will use your rebounder alot with these?? At VF someone thought she was harder than Cathe???

Sabrina out of the TLT's I have to say my fav.. is Strength into movement!! Although I think they are all wonderful!! I will definitely order Tracies next batch again!!

Marietta looking forward to seeing what you think as well!!

Charlotte when will you hear about your job?? I hope you get it!!

Well I gotta go will try and be back later!!

~Nicole

Good Morning Maniacs!!!

This morning I ran 5.25 miles on my treadmill. I'm going to do a leg workout at lunch.

While I was running I previewed my Kelley Coffey workout...I can't remember the name, but it is the one with weights and plyometrics. I'm going to do that one really soon. I actually forgot I had those workouts because I started doing a rotation and just put them on the "back burner".

Lora - I got your address...I will PM you my address. I really appreciate this. Can you tell me how much the shipping will be? I need yoga in my life and this is the perfect way to start. Excellent review - I can't wait!! I also stopped reading the thread. I figure that if you want them get them if you don't...don't!

Nicole - Go ahead...get Charlotte hooked...she is asking for it. I don't know if my review will be as detailed as Lora's but I'll give my honest and fair opinion.

Toasty - I love bicep DOMS!! I don't get it very often though...I have to go pretty heavy to get it. Enjoy your workout...whatever you decide to do.

Susan - Sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. I hope the days ahead get better.

Sabrina - Yep! I knew I had to claim those rebounder workouts for you...it was my pleasure to do so.

Dallas is probably on a rollercoaster right about now...

Christine - What you got going on today?

Terri - What did you, Ashley and Dave do yesterday? Hope it was a bunch of fun! How is your assistant working out?

Diane Sue - Are you adjusting to your DH being gone? I know it was hard to see him go...

I'll check back in later...

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/created/39583717.gif[/IMG][/URL]
(fitxme)
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Morning ladies!

Lora-Thanks for the review. I have the workouts on my list for later. I would like to see what you think of the rest of them first. How are you liking the Push ones? Are they getting any better? Address: Sabrina McKeever--1425 E Ash---Canton, IL. 61520. How much do you need for shipping?

Nicole-Thanks for the info. Do you have any of Tracie's older workouts too? I can't remember the names of them right now. If so did you like them? Wow 10 miles!! Way to go!

Charlotte-I hope you hear about your job soon. Good luck.

Marietta-I was almost in a panic last night when I read the post from Lora and seeing if anyone wanted those dvd's and I was hoping no one had put a claim on them yet. I read your post and almost died laughing. Dh had to come in and see what was so funny. lol He told me what a great bunch of friends I had. I told him they are great!! Tell me how you like the Kelley Coffey workout since I have her name on my looonnnggg list of DVD's to check out and possibly buy. haha I need a job!!

Dallas-I hope you are having a great time!!! Have fun at Chef Mickeys this evening and be sure to tell me how it is (we are going for the character breakfast). Have you gotten soaked on splash mountain yet?

Terri-How is everyone doing in your family (you included)?

Susan-How is the little guy today?

Hi Christine and Diane Sue.

Be back later!!

What does everyone think of this for a general rotation for me to follow?

Mon – Weights – plus cardio add on
Tues – Cardio
Wed – Yoga & Cardio
Thurs – Cardio
Fri – Weights – plus cardio add on
Sat – rest, yoga or stretch (maybe light aerobics)
Sunday – Circuit workout plus yoga

I want to add Pilates also, but don't know where to put it.

Sabrina - I think the Push DVDs are getting slightly better. I still don't like the choppiness of them....but I'll wait to see what I think after I do a rotation. Right now I'm waiting until I have about 5 trainer sessions to rotate with weights incorporated.

Morning All,

Last night was fun. We went to chilis for dinner. I had a sald with no fressing. Then we went to the flashback movies they show on the giatn screen. Last night was fight club.

Sabrina-Everyone sems to be doing pretty good. Dad seems to be much better. Dave is still looking for work and Ashley seemed to feel good last night.

Lora-Thanks for the review. They sound like something I would like.

Marietta-Do you still teach classes?
Charlotte-That job sounds good for you. I hope you get it!
Nicole-You are doing awesome with your rotation
Susan-I hope you have a better day today
Christine-What's on your agenda today?
Diane Sue-Thanks for the info on p90x!

Well I wish I were at Disney world with Dallas :) I bet she is having a blast.

Today is pub and then either a run or a powerstrike. I plan to stay in tonight so will probably do a SS workout.

Terri

Terri-I am glad everyone is doing ok. I hope your son finds work soon. I like chilis! yummy! Glad you had a fun time last night. You can go to Disney World with me in December.

Marietta - I hadn't even thought about that. I guess I was thinking total body. Can you come up with one using a split. I want to make sure I keep 2 Power Yoga days and lots of cardio in there. I only have 1 hour to work out on Tues and Thurs and prefer to do my cardio on these days. I have 1.5 hours to workout on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and up 2 hours on Sunday.

Good morning sexy ladies!

Lora - thanks so much for the info on Amy! She sounds like a wonderful sub for Cathe. These are definitely on my "want" list. Maybe when I'm part way through my P90X rotation I'm starting in May I'll bite. They do sound very good.

Charlotte - hope you hear soon on the job! I wanted you to know that I was tired this morning and thinking I'd skip my workout and take a rest day (which is scheduled for tomorrow), when I remembered your statement that you should push through even when you are tired - so I put in BBBB and did it. Thank you for that nudge!

Nicole - I think SIM is my favorite as well. I like BBBB, too, but I have to do EFM more to figure out if I like it or not.

Marietta - Kelley Coffee sounds interesting - is she advanced (sounds like it!)

Susan - sorry to hear about your bad day with the little one!! {{{HUGS}}} Hope today is better!

Sabrina - Hey there! I want to go in December as well!

Terri - Great news on your dad - glad to hear he's doing better. And I love the Power Strikes - so different than anything else out there, and fun!!

Diane Sue - hope all is well with you. My DH travels for business a lot, and that's tough enough.

I did BBBB and CTX Biceps this morning (I like CTX Biceps - it's a great little workout!). Cardio at the gym this afternoon - either step or a Spinervals CD. I lost another pound, and now I'm all concerned that I'm losing weight too fast (5 pounds in one week) - but I think it's just that my body is realizing that I'm serious and this will level out. If it does not next week, I'll up my calories. That leads to a question - does anyone else really have to eat a lot in order to do this kind of exercise? I'm surprised at how much I can eat and lose. No wonder I was binging before - I was not eating enough. This whole thing is amazing to me.

Oh on another note, tomorrow night I'm taking my 13 year old DD who wants to be a zoo keeper to PetsMart. The Maine Coon Association is trying something new and is fostering cats in the store. They need volunteers to play with the kitties, groom them, and just entertain them a few hours a day, so DD and I are volunteering. It should be fun - and I want my kids to respect and enjoy volunteer work.

Ok, how about we just all get together at Disney World in December. It would be so much fun!! Who's with me???

Charlotte
EFM is one of my TLT workouts called Endurance for movement. The TLT's are all functional fitness dvds. They are really nice for everyday living:)

Christine I really like EFM, but I would say this one has the hardest learning curve, but now that I got it down.. I am really able to work it :7 This is my last week of the TLT rotation, and my glutes have been sore all week so I must be reallly getting these down dvds:D

Sabrina I have some of Tracies firm workouts, but these are really nothing like those. They have so many everyday moves, and I love the planks in these (not so killer as Cathe}( ) I really wish Tracie would have premixes like Cathe.

Marietta I KNOW you will tell us what you think!! I can't wait to hear your opinions of the Amy workouts, but ya know I need another workout like I need????????????:7

Terri happy to hear everyone is doing well!! Have you been able to simplfy lately:eek: I was in a cleaning mode and took advantage of it while it lasted:) Wish I could get that mode back:7

Hey Diane Sue how is it going? I bet it is kind of lonely with dh gone again!!Sending you a big hug!!

~Nicole
~Nicole

Good afternoon,
This mornings workout was Step Blast and P90X Yoga. I ordered the Power Half Hr Ab burner yesterday. I hope I only get one copy. I kept getting some error message matching my address so tried 3 times. They only responded with one e mail though and that was late last night confirming it.

Sabrina, I don't know if DH has arrived back in Iraq yet. Last I heard from him was yesterday afternoon in an e mail with pictures of Jordan.

Marrietta, I am starting to adjust back into my routine with DH gone.

Terri, it sounds like you had a nice evening

Christine, have fun with the volunteer work. DH had our children work in a homeless shelter here called Jesus House. I think it was a good experience for them to see how others live and help. I have to consume large quantities of food when I workout hard or i just keep dropping weight. Part of it is trying to keep the excess fat and sugars and starches down. That requires more food.

Nicole thanks for the hug.

Susan, I hope the baby is doing better today.

Charlotte good for you on the DOMS in the biceps. That is a rare occurance for me as well.

Lora, I had heard Prednisone was bad for adding on weight. I bet you drop some.

Dallas, I bet you are having fun.

Have a great day
Diane Sue

http://wd.1ww.us

Lora,

I didn't change too much from what you had...let me know what you think. Since you have more time on Mon-Wed-Fri, I put most of the weight work on those days. You can squeeze shoulders in pretty easily, even on a cardio day. I also included an all-body workout to allow you to hit each body part at least twice/week.

Mon – Weights (Chest & Back-Superset* to save time) – plus cardio add on
Tues – Cardio (Interval), Shoulders
Wed – Yoga & Cardio, Weights (Legs)
Thurs – Cardio (Steady State)
Fri – Weights (Biceps/triceps – Superset* to save time) - plus cardio add on
Sat – rest, yoga or stretch (maybe light aerobics)
Sunday – Circuit (think MM or ME) workout plus yoga

*Do an exercise for one muscle group and without resting do an exercise for the opposing muscle. Repeat until the desired number of sets are performed.

You don't have to do this...just thought I'd take a stab at it.

http://www.GlitterMaker.com/created/39583717.gif[/IMG][/URL]
(fitxme)
http://www.picturetrail.com/fitxme

Hi everyone,

I’m so sorry for complaining last night. I usually read our check in at night, but don’t always post. The crying was REALLY getting to me. When it’s constant, I just loose my mind.

We are having a better day today…thanks you guys!!! Today I jogged FIVE miles. I nearly died, but I did it.:7 Later I did MIS.

Sabrina, I LOVE your idea of meeting at Disney. Don’t all schools have Christmas to New Year’s week off?

Lora, thanks for the great review of your new workouts.

Terri, I’m going out to Chilli’s tomorrow night. It’s my husbands last day at this job and some of the guys want to take him out, and I was invited too. What type of job is Dave looking to get?

Christine, my son says he wants to be a Zoo Keeper as well. We’re hoping to take him to the San Diego Zoo someday. Have fun with the volunteer work. Are all Pet Smart stores going to do the fostering?

Nicole, SIM is my favorite TLT also. You’re doing so well on your bike rides!! I’M PROUD of you!;)

Marietta, have you done Kelly’s workout yet? Does she just have the one DVD? Details, details.

Charlotte, sounds like you have an obstacle course outside. It must be fun. I did GS Biceps twice the other day and still didnt get doms. I worked hard too. Good for you, you must be able to really push yourself.

Susan C.M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.