Haircolor

molasses

Cathlete
My mother has asked me to start coloring her hair since she is in a wheelchair and it is difficult for her to go to the salon.

She has a lot of grey/white and we coloured her hair on the weekend using a box but the results weren't fantastic.

Just wondering if anyone has tips for covering the white/grey. Also, which at home colour is your favourite?

Thanks for your insight...

Hi molasses, Coloring gray hair is difficult unless you are going blonde, because then it is more difficult to tell the difference. I had my hair colored professionally for years. I have a bit of gray around my hairline and at my temples. When I had it done professionally, it seems like the very next week I could see my gray. And that was at $120 a pop!

So of course, I thought I can do as good as, if not better than that! And at this point, I am! I use Loreal. I personally think that is the best and I have tried a lot. However, the point is that coloring gray or white hair is tough if you are going darker. My mom was a blonde and she had a lot of gray and her hair just looked better with color on it. It was more difficult to discern the gray from the blonde. She also colored her hair and used Loreal 9A.

I use an online service called e-Salon to have my color professionally mixed and sent to me. It's $25.
You can set up the online profile, choose the color range you'd like to be in, specify the amount of coverage for gray/white that you need...all of it.
You can even post a photo online. Their colorists will "tweak" the color to meet your needs and be flattering.
They send you the kit with the color pre-mixed.
Then you do the actual color yourself.

I ditched my colorist for this about 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier! It's cheaper, and a better formula with more variety than what you'll find on the shelves.
I highly recommend it.

eSalon.com | Custom Formulated Hair Color

I use Excellence by L'Oreal. It has great gray coverage for me. I've been coloring my hair since I was 24, grey hair started when I was sixteen. It took me awhile to find a color that I was happy with, but now I jsut stick with the same thing month after month. I use a root touch up every 2-3 weeks to try to extend the time that I have to do a full head. I have long hair and it such a pain to color.

Ever since cancer, I don't use drug store stuff anymore because of questionable chemicals. I use Naturtint that I get at Whole Foods. It's a bit pricey, about $17.99/box but sometimes I can get it on sale. It has one chemical I'm not crazy about but I do like the color. If I have any gray hair, I don't know about it. Yet. ;-)

I use Terracotta blonde. It's a pretty red color. I've found that it doesn't fade any quicker or last any longer than the L'Oreal I had been using. When it does fade, it looks more natural than when my previous color faded. The roots aren't as obvious.

Hope that helps. :)

Chuc mot ngay moi tot lanh
Cam on cac ban da tich cuc post bai tren dien dan cua chung toi.
Rat han hanh duoc lam quen.
Best regards.

Ok, I had to use Google Translate to see if it was a joke :confused::D.

The language is Vietnamese and this is the translation in English:

"Have a good day.
Thank you for actively post on forums.
Very pleased to get accustomed to."

And of course, in English "Best Regards" :confused:

Ok, I had to use Google Translate to see if it was a joke :confused::D.

The language is Vietnamese and this is the translation in English:

"Have a good day.
Thank you for actively post on forums.
Very pleased to get accustomed to."

And of course, in English "Best Regards" :confused:

HAHA! Thanks for checking. :) I love google translate. It's amazing! It's very good at translating English to French.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll show your replies to my mother and let her choose her favourite. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.