Gym rats, have you noticed

LauraMax

Cathlete
that mp3 players have forced us to create our own sign language? :D Like, when I want to use a piece of equipment & someone's standing near it, I just kind of point & raise my eyebrows. The response is either a quick shake of the head or the number of fingers that correlates w/the number of sets left (no, not THE finger, although I'm sure some have considered it ;)).

I actually find it kind of sad b/c the gym used to be something of a social outlet for me. I love my mp3 player but it's kind of killed about half my social life. :p

ALL HAIL THE MP3 PLAYER - lol

I wish I could afford an MP3 player (nope, still dont have one).. although I mostly train at home now.. I go to the gym every few leg days to utilize the squat rack (which I still dont have) and some of the pulldown cables..
When I see someone has an MP3 player on I know that they won't be bothering me lol.
.. I just still wish i had one, that way everyone will know not to bother me :-D

I use mine when I don't want to be bothered and get a good workout in. Once I get talking and socializing my rest time becomes a vacation! (hmm sounds like I've heard that somewhere before). I do enjoy seeing my fit friends though.

Ha, that is soo true!!!

Do you happen to have anybody at your gym that sings along out loud to their Mp3 player while they are working out? That always cracks me up!

There is a guy at my gym who listens to rap music and tries to "rap" along with the song out loud. He's always about a sentence behind and tries to catch up.. verrry funny!

I do have to confess that sometimes when I'm listening to my mp3 tunes, I will find myself lip syncing to some of the songs, esp. if I'm going hard on the arc and its a good song. Does that count as dorkiness too? :)

Lynn M.

Ha, that is soo true!!!

Do you happen to have anybody at your gym that sings along out loud to their Mp3 player while they are working out? That always cracks me up!

There is a guy at my gym who listens to rap music and tries to "rap" along with the song out loud. He's always about a sentence behind and tries to catch up.. verrry funny!

I do have to confess that sometimes when I'm listening to my mp3 tunes, I will find myself lip syncing to some of the songs, esp. if I'm going hard on the arc and its a good song. Does that count as dorkiness too? :)

Lynn M.

LOL! Yes, I hear it all the time--sometimes I have to stop myself from doing it! And if lip synching makes you a dork, count me in b/c I do it constantly. I have excellent taste in music so I can't help myself. :D

The other thing I find is when I do try to talk to someone I have no idea at what volume I'm speaking, & I have a sneaking suspicion I'm shouting at the top of my lungs. OTOH, maybe I'm just whispering.......it will always be a mystery to me! :p

DH was just saying the other day that he uses his MP3 people to fend off people who want to chat. If it's someone he thinks is worth taking a break for, he will take off his headphones; otherwise he just pantomimes his response.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.