gaining weight?

Hi,
I used to be in SUPER shape and have fallen out of it since my last son was born. ok so he's 4 now :p but I have worked out sporadically since he was born. The last month I've been on a mission to get back in shape and stay there. I work out practically everyday.. only taking off when I really need it. I am alternating weight videos and cardio. I lost 5 lbs the first week and then it stopped. And this morning after doing butts and gutts last night I gained a lb?? PLEASE tell me this could just be muscle? or am I doing something wrong? My total goal was to loose 20 lbs. I want to be back at 120 and I started at 140. this morning I was 135 after being 134ish the last few weeks. I feel good working out. My clothes are becoming a looser but I'm not dropping it like I thought I would after about a month & 1/2. Am I having unrealistic expecations? Oh and I'm also eating clean as possible and trying to eat not too much and enough for what my body needs. sigh!! I know I'll keep with it no matter what. I'm back into it again yay! but I'm dying for some real results. and putting a lb back on isn't helping......? Jess ;(

Jess, don't stress about it. The scale can fluctuate for many different reasons. Latley mine as been bouncing back and forth between 120-122. I know that when it is at 122 I didn't gain 2 lbs in a day b/c its just not possible.
Your muscles could be holding water weight from yesterdays workout, or you may have had a little to much sodium in your diet that you were unaware of.
When I had DS I was stuck at 148...then I signed up for ww's. The first couple of weeks everything went perfect. I was losing weight consistently, then it stopped. Then I started losing every 2nd week. It was almost as if my body was holding onto the fat for as long as it could and then it would let go! Then in the 2nd week I would lose 2-5 lbs. In 3 monthes I had 18 lbs gone. Its not going to fall of over night, you know that. And i wouldn't worry to much about this 1 lbs unless it sticks around. Im willing to bet it will be gone in a day or two:)
Good luck on getting it all off!!!!:)
Lori

The two questions that come to mind are...

1) what did you eat yesterday?

and 2) how are your clothes fitting?

If you ate something with a lot of sodium yesterday, you could very well be retaining water. Or it could be due to your muscles holding weight as Lori said.

If your clothes are fitting better, you may be losing fat/inches, just not pounds on the scale, because you are gaining muscle mass as well.

I wouldn't panic. Give your body time to adjust, it's not going to happen that rapidly. Plus, slow weight loss is better because you're less likely to gain it back. It sounds like you're doing really well, so stick with it. Don't get discouraged, either way you're getting in better shape and that alone will make you feel and look better. Give it time, it will come off!

Thanks everyone. That is exactly what I needed to hear. ;) It also may be what you said about sodium. Last night I did splurge some and ate some sunchips. Didn't think about that. I know it is a long term thing and I just need to stick with it. sigh. I just can't wait to be back in shape! ;-) thankyou again. Jessica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.