Fuel is rising again ARGH!!!

acatalina

Cathlete
Where is the fuel shortage????
I don't see one!!!
So wht the H**l is gas back up to 259.
There has to be something that can be done..
Catrina hit last year...
1 month ago we were 199. 60 cents in 1 month is BS.
Is anyone else outraged.
And diesel, garbage fuel is higher.
I heard over 3 by summer. I don't see any hurricanes to stop production.

Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

I know how you feel Anne. I get so frustrated with the rising gas costs. Someone is making big bucks and it ain't us.

Didn't Exxon post record profits last year? I'm not an economist but the nonsense we are being fed about shortages and rising cost of oil production jacking prices doesn't make sense to me. If the oil companies have to raise prices to offset rising costs, I'd understand that, but, if that were the case, wouldn't *their* profits stay basically the same, instead of being record amounts?

gas prices here change literally every day. ARGH!!!

Sparrow
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

IMO, the oil companies saw that we can handle high gas prices without slowing down - how many people actually started cutting back when prices went up? Not many that I know - they just kept on buying Hummers and stuff. So they figure they'll just keep the prices high. We're already used to it, right?

It's as much our fault as theirs, because while everyone may gripe, nobody, including me, actually puts forth the effort do change things.

Shannon, ITA. I drive a Forester which doesn't get great mileage, though it's a great car. But it's paid off, so what to do, you know? When I bought it gas prices were low and had been for years. My bad. :)

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Hey Sparrow, I know. I have a Ford Ranger, which I didn't much like when I got it and prices were lower too. But darn it, I needed a truck for its hauling capacity. And like yours, it's paid for and it's still in good shape. I'd love to get a hybrid, but financially I can't justify a car payment just to improve gas mileage.

ETA: but my point is, we keep getting warnings that oil will run out, etc. We have technology to replace it - solar, wind, hydrogen cells... but we're too comfortable with oil to take the next step.

I agree, I think the market used to stay at a lower price because "they" thought we wouldn't pay the higher prices. Now they realize they can basically charge what they want and we're screwed.

It's really unfortunate that hybrid vehicles are still so expensive. I just bought a Passat. I was considering one of the hybrid models but I think we worked out it would take nearly 5 years to break even for the difference in price. Of course, the way fuel prices are rising, I suspect that number is dropping fast!

Marie

I'd go broke if I were working right now! I drove something like 350 miles a week JUST to get back and forth to work! Between the cost of childcare AND the cost of gas...we'd probably have less $ than we do with me NOT working! Now THAT'S scarey!!!!:eek:

Welcome to the rude reality and fear not, gas prices will continue to climb and I suspect they will be well over $3 this summer and likely to be over $10 by the end of the decade. Unless our government and its citizens wise up and find alternative energy sources our economy will collapse (not to mention the cost of wars in far away lands). I love my GM car but GM doesn't love me so my next car will be one of those fuel efficient tin can hybrid cars and if all fails there is always public transportation. I'm tired of handing all my hard earned money to the "man."

Last Sept, dh went out and traded his gas hogging pick-up for a tiny cavalier. He misses his truck dearly, but is saving so much money in gas. He drives 1 hour to work and 1 hour back. On the other hand, I drive a durango.....gas, gas, gas! But, I have 3 kids and need a bigger vehicle that can hold them and all of our stuff. My kids and I don't really go anywhere. Some days, the durango just sits parked all day. If I had to drive it far everyday, we would be screwed.

The gas prices are crazy. But, so many people don't care and won't do anything. I guess they feel nothing can be done. What do we do? What can be done? Does anybody know?

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

I am just glad my hubby's company pays for his gas. He works 1 1/2 hours away from home and then travels too to other states at different times. If I want to go to the Mall, I have to drive 1 hour away and that is going to cost me to just get to the friggin' mall. Of course when we moved out to the country, the gas prices weren't an issue then. I want to go to some yard sales this weekend, but that will cost too now. How about mowing my grass? Gonna cost $10 to mow the yard now every week? WTH?

Being from the Gulf Coast, let me offer this. My DH's friend works for Shell. He is one of the honchos there and he just got a $55,000 bonus for the quarter, thanks to gas prices rising. Yes the hurricanes did hurt the production (think off shore), but most of the gas we purchase comes from Canada. Let's blame it on the people in the White House....ummm...Bush oil man from TX., the war, hurricanes. All the reasons we are paying for it. Shell is expecting prices to hit over $3.00 this summer. Energy prices are also going to rise even higher.
Our country is in bad shape and it is only going to get worse, sad to say.

Part of the problem with alternate energy sources is that there are always different groups screaming about how we can't do this or that, depending on the fuel source. Most people agree that we have to get out from under oil. But nuclear energy is bad, coal is bad, we can't drill in the Artic that's bad, on and on. I'm not making a statement pro or con for any particular energy source here, just pointing out that we are not going to go back to the days when people basically stayed in one place all their lives (barring any major unpleasantness a la The Stand that is!) and so we have to find some sort of compromise here, to get out from under big oil. Just my opinion.

Sparrow

I can't stand the rising costs. We live on the east coast of Florida so we are getting hit with EVERYTHING! We considered moving and are still considering it just to get away from some of the things. Besides the gas and electric going up(they are still using the excuses of the hurricanes), they are now doubling our homeowners insurance! It's going to be more than a mortgage payment soon. But the best part, it is going up because the million dollar homes on the beach can no longer be fully insured because they are most at risk. So we pions have to pay for the stuff not covered for the millionares. I also no longer go to Exxon and Citgo since they took in billions of dollars of profits last quarter. Who is getting the benefits from the rising costs?

This is a very disgusting issue with me. My daughters go to a charter school 30 miles away so I drive them to school come back home and go back to pick them up and then back home not to mention errands in between and a lease vehicle.

Okay I will stop whining now as gas was not this expensive when I made the decision. But 150.00 a week is RIDICULOUS

beth6395

I'd love to have 2.59 too....Try living in NY were everything is always high! Were at 2.75! I have a service company....our gas bill for our company is outrages...tripled!
;(

>Being from the Gulf Coast, let me offer this. My DH's friend
>works for Shell. He is one of the honchos there and he just
>got a $55,000 bonus for the quarter, thanks to gas prices
>rising. Yes the hurricanes did hurt the production (think off
>shore), but most of the gas we purchase comes from Canada.
>Let's blame it on the people in the White House....ummm...Bush
>oil man from TX., the war, hurricanes. All the reasons we are
>paying for it. Shell is expecting prices to hit over $3.00
>this summer. Energy prices are also going to rise even higher.
>
>Our country is in bad shape and it is only going to get worse,
>sad to say.

I think some of the blame goes to alot of groups that haven't wanted to build new refineries in the past 25 years! With a limited refining capacity, it doesn't matter how much oil we have, one can only produce so much gasoline. At any rate, I think we are all unhappy with the high cost of gas.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.