FreshPet food- Thanks Cynthia/Fit44!

Afreet

Cathlete
I actually have to thank you for two reasons!

One, for recommending the FreshPet food, which my two dogs (Greta and Afreet - my online "namesake", both rescued mini schnauzers) apparently LOVE to eat and which I feel very good about buying, since it is actually made of substances I recognize as food. They didn't quite skip over to their bowls, but here's what DID happen:

They were actually dancing around my feet while I prepared their dinners. Once the dishes hit the floor, things proceeded as usual- they devoured everything in ten seconds. Then, also as usual, each ran to the other's dish in case the other missed something. Then they licked each others' bowl. Then, they switched AGAIN, and continued licking bowls and switching, licking bowls and switching...until I finally took them away. So, obviously, this was a big hit with them!

The second thank you is because I had to go to a totally new grocery store to find it. It's a "Bloom", the upscale Food Lion, and I've never been to one before. It's REALLY nice. It so much better than my local Safeway that I am now only going there. Since I probably wouldn't have found it if I hadn't gone looking for new pet food...thanks!

The better their nutrition is, the better they look and feel and the less likely they are to develop skin conditions due to allergies and skin infections. I was using super-premium kibble and homemade food, which was very time-consuming. I'm hoping this will be a good replacement. I'll keep ya posted - I look forward to hearing how your sweet boxers are doing.

Lisa

Awwww, I'm so happy for both you and your two fur kids!!!

Better food, less vet visits. I know from personal experience;)
My vet agrees the fresh food is so much better if you can do it. He told me that the preservatives and chemicals in kibble show up in the kidneys. He didn't realize how much so until performed an autopsy on a dog fed a raw diet. He said there is a clear difference.

FreshPet Food--Is that a raw food diet? Right now i cook for my dog usually a mix meat/chicken, veggies and rice. We have had this discussion before I think and I guess no one has come up with something for cats? For my guys unfortunately it is a high quality kibble and Fancy Feast or die. Some times some cooked meat or chicken. Anyway FreshPet Raw?

No, Freshpet is not raw. Lightly cooked/blanched. http://freshpet.com/
The food is all natural with no preservatives. It has a real expiration date! It last about a month(unopened), 7 days(opened) in the refrigerator.
I was feeding raw because I could buy a pre-made, ground-up version from A Place for Paws.

I tried cooking and it was just to difficult to keep up.
Our local grocery store began carrying this brand and I gave it a try. My two boxers transitioned to this with no problems at all. No diarrhea, no stomach upset, or bloat. My two could not tolerate kibble at all. They were sick all the time.

Last edited:
Calvillo & Phyllis,

I don't know if this will help but, the only all natural cat food I know of is from the company.. http://aplaceforpaws.com/
I ordered my raw dog food from this company for years. I was pleased with the quality and customer service. I lived close enough that I could have it ground shipped to me every month.

Since my dogs are large and I need 80lbs of Freshpet a month, I met with the grocery manager yesterday. I placed a standing order for a months worth of food for my dogs every month. He guaranteed I would have it waiting for me the first week of every month:)

Last edited:
It is funny that someone posted about this food. I have a pug and where as most pugs tend to overeat, mine has always been underweight. I could leave canned food out for her and she would eat only once a day sometimes. And with a little round flat head she made a huge mess with the gravy on it. When I saw the fresh food in the fridge section at walmart I gave it a try. OH MY GOODNESS! She starts dancing and yelping when I am chopping it up. Of course she has managed to put on a bit of weight the last couple of months too. Every time I go to buy it I worry they won't have any. I don't think I can ever get her to eat her old food.

I recommend it also!

valdavis,

How cute! I love pugs. I grew up with a pug in my home:D:D:D

My guys are super picky too!
It's a real testament that my dogs love this food. Mine have not eaten kibble in over 6 years. I've cooked for them and given them raw mixes. They will not touch real dog food, not even dog treats.

My husband brought me the Freshpet brochure from a grocery store he just happen to stop in. The grocery store I shopped in doesn't carry the food.

I almost tossed the brochure, but at the last second, told my husband to pick up a roll just to see.
I was concerned about the amount of rice.
My boy boxers can tolerate grain in very small amounts. Dog food is usually filled with grain because they use them as fillers. It's cheaper than using meat.
All the fillers and chemicals used to preserve kibble was making my two boxer's sick.

Raw feeding or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food (BARF) is meant to replace the diet of our canine's ancestor(wolves). In the wild, wolves do not eat wheat, corn, rice
in large amounts.
They eat small prey. When the wolf takes down it's prey, they eat the meat, bones, and the contents of their prey's stomach which may contain a small amount of grain.

Anyway, my two gobble this food like candy and both are doing great.
It's saving us some money too because I was paying to have their food shipped to my home. We're all just one big happy pack:D

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.