Forgive my ignorance about Heart rate & monitor

beth6395

Cathlete
Ok My treadmill and elliptical and recumbent bike all have somewhere to put your thumb or hands for heart rate. Why do we calculate heart rate I am 36 almost 37 why do we stay in our heart rate what happens if you are too above or below is is really important to monitor. If it is a necessity my grandma has asked what to get me for my birthday and I will ask for the heart rate monitor I think the majority go with Polar which one?

Thank you and please forgive my ignorance in this subject.

beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

Target heart rate or training heart rate, is a desired range of heart rate reached during aerobic exercise which enables one's heart and lungs to receive the most benefit from a workout. This theoretical range varies based on one's physical condition, age, and previous training.

There are many claims that if you train above or below your target heart rate it may either not be effective (as it pertains to fat loss)if you are above you burn more carbohydrates than fat, if you are below the claim it is useless. I don't really buy into that, I don't think it matters if you burn carbohydrates or fat.

In my case, if I stay within the recommended range for "fat loss" for my age I'd be training between 118 and 135, I barely even break a sweat at that heart rate. On the other hand, I have a tendancy, especially when running or doing a Cathe cardio video, without a heart rate monitor on, I don't notice right away that I go too high on my heart rate. If I go over 160 or 165 for more than a couple of minutes I trigger severe headaches that last for a few hours.

The problem with the "putting your thumb or hands on", it becomes a little inaccurate because you have to slow down (can't put your hands on the bar or whatever at full speed, at least I can't :) ).

A couple of years ago, I bought one of those fancy schmanzy Polar heart rate monitors with all the bells and whistles, different programs for different days, calculating my speed, mileage, averages, kcal, kcal per mile, how much fat compared to carbs, download to a computer program....... I think it cost about $ 350 and I didn't use it because the technology got to complicated for me, just programing it gave me a migrane :) Sheez that darn thing asked me everything but my SSN and my mother's maiden name before each exercise :)

I ended up buying a Polar F6 a few weeks ago and LOVE it. I also bought a Omron pedometer for $19 and between the two of them I am a happy camper. The F6 does calculate a few things (calories burned, own zone ...) but I only had to put in my age, weight and couple of other things, DONE.

This is the one I bought in tea green
http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/Pages/POLAR/F6.html

However, I got it on ebay for $ 97 and free shipping. I had it within 3 days. Bought it through bikedealsgal. But I am not sure if she has any left. I

Hope this helps.

>Ok My treadmill and elliptical and recumbent bike all have
>somewhere to put your thumb or hands for heart rate. Why do
>we calculate heart rate I am 36 almost 37 why do we stay in
>our heart rate what happens if you are too above or below is
>is really important to monitor. If it is a necessity my
>grandma has asked what to get me for my birthday and I will
>ask for the heart rate monitor I think the majority go with
>Polar which one?
>
>Thank you and please forgive my ignorance in this subject.
>
>beth6395
>
>"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
>-Cathe Friedrich

Beth,

Why do we calculate heart rate?

Different things happen when you exercise at different ranges of Heart Rate (HR).

A logical start, is to define Max HR. Max HR is supposed to be the maximum nomber of times your heart can beat in one minute. Depending on how accurate you want to get and which formula you want to believe, there are many ways to predict your MAX HR. Here is a link to these alternative methods: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

Based on where your heart rate is in relation to the Max HR, exercise has varying effects on your body according to studies.

Zone 1 (50 - 60% of MHR) Easy Training Zone - Your workout in this zone is low in intensity and won't give the most cardiorespiratory training benefits. But studies have shown that it works to help decrease body fat, blood pressure and cholesterol.
In this zone, the body derives it energy by burning 10% carbohydrates, 5% protein and 85% fat. Prescribed for beginners or people who have not exercised for a long period of time. It can also be a good recovery zone for people who are over-training and need to take a break.

Zone 2 (60 - 70% of MHR) Fat Burning Zone - This is the zone where the heart begins to benefit. You will be breathing heavier but will still be able to speak in short sentences. Your body fuels itself with 85% fat, 5% protein, and 10% carbohydrate. You will burn more overall calories than in the previous zone by training in this zone and the bulk of them will still be from fat. Training in this zone will begin improve your hearts ability to pump blood and improve the muscle cells ability to utilize oxygen.

Zone 3 (70 - 80% of MHR) Aerobic Zone - This is the optimal zone to workout in to increase your cardio-respitory capacity or the bodies ability to transport oxygenated blood to the muscle cells and carbon dioxide away from the cells. Over time, you will be able to workout at higher intensity and still stay in this heart rate zone, so this zone improves fitness. You will be breathing very hard and but still be able to speak in short phrases. You burn 50% of your calories from fat, 50% from carbohydrate, and less than 1% from protein. This is a still a good zone for weight loss, because overall calories burned will be higher than in the previous zone, so fat calories burned will be 50% of a higher number of total clories.

Zone 4 (80 - 90% of MHR)Anearobic Zone - This is the point where the body cannot effectively remove lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. Lactic Acid is a by-product of glycogen consumption by the working muscles. This zone is primarily for people who want to increase their performance levels. The benefit of training in this zone is you can increase your bodies ability to tolerate and deal with lactic acid for a longer period of time. You will be unable to speak except a single, gasped word at a time. This intense exercise will improve the amount of oxygen you can consume - your VO2 maximum. Workouts in this heart rate zone are typically part of an interval training workout, fo short high intensity bursts followed by revovery in a lower taining zone. You burn more calories per minute than with the lower heart rate workouts. The body burns 85% carbohydrates, 15% fat and less than 1% protein in this zone.

Zone 5 (90 - 100% of MHR)(VO2 Max or Red Line Zone) - You will only be able to train in this zone for short periods of time. You should not train at this level unless you are very fit. In this zone lactic acid develops very quickly as you are operating with oxygen debt to the muscles. The value of training in this zone is you can increase your fast twitch muscle fibers which increase speed. It is used in intervals or sprinting work at the track. While you burn lots of calories per minute in this zone, 90% of them are carbohydrates, 10% fats, and less than 1% protein.

Working in lower zones is usually safer from injury risks because you can use low impact exercise modalities. Athletes and those who are/want to work at advanced fitness levels use the higher zones.

Is it a necessity?

Some reasons to get a heart rate monitor (HRM):

a. People who do not like to work out intensely (those who read while on the elliptical for instance, or those who like to chat as they walk), but still want a reminder so that they do not dip below 50% of MHR use a HRM. It beeps if they slacken too much and HR dips below 50%, and prompts them to step it up a notch.
b. Those who are recovering from injury or have been advised to slow down by their doctors, or simply dont want to "overdo", use one so that they dont let their heart rate rise above a specific zone.
c. People who interval train (combine intervals in various heart rate zones in a single session) or do HIIT (high intensity interval training) use one to ensure that they really are in the prescribed zone during each interval.
d. People who are motivated by tracking total calories burned and information such as the average and highest heart rate they achieved during each workout, or those that like a scientic basis to compare one workout versus another use one.

I bet there could be more uses.

I personally cannot be bothered to use one. I use my perception of exertion and ability to talk as a guide when I train aerobically or in HIIT mode. My body is pretty good at signalling how hard it is working. If I am misreading the signals, I can live with that. My self preservation instincts (and those of most people) are good enough to warn me well in advance if I am approaching Max HR. I dont track calories consumed or burned. My ideas of fitness is to eat sensibly and exercise regularly. My sis on the other hand is motivated by tracking calories consumed and burned during workouts. A HRM is a great buy for her because she enjoys tracking numbers.

There are multiple types of HRMs. Certain models like the Nike/Reebok heart rate watch require you to press a button before the watch reads and displays your heart rate. They take a few seconds to assess heart rate before it is displayed. Others like Polar are continuous feedback mechanisms. They are real monitors because they are constantly measuring and displaying heart rate. Like Carol said, they are more accurate because having to hold down a button for heart rate usually means slowing down. Also, even if you dont keep looking at the watch to check HR, a Polar type of HRM can be set to beep to alert you if you are above or below zone.

The advantage of a Polar is that some gym equipment can read from the Polar transmitter that your wear around your chest, so the console will display your hart rate constantly. DH uses only the chest strap and not the watch to guide his cardio workouts because at his gym all equipment is Polar compatible.

~* Vrinda *~

Thank you Carola and Vee for following up on this. I do not own a scale I do not count calories (but I did recently change my eating for the better). I hear and read so much about heart rate and I wasn't sure If I should keep track of it. I know aerobically if I am working too light or to much. Weights not yet I am just getting use to going heavier and I do not want to overdo and cause an injury so I concentrate first rep on form once I have it then I know if I can go heavier or not seems like my triceps are the weakest link right now.

beth6395

"Double Knot your laces and let's move on"
-Cathe Friedrich

Hey,im just popping in to add that i dont go by the heart rate feature on my Tread Mill...its NO WAY accurate on my TM!

I did a run interval the other day and it said that my pulse rate was 40 :eek:...yeah right! I was huffing and a puffing! LOL I did it agian and it said 195 :eek:! ????

and my triceps are my weakest link right now too,im right there with ya on that one!

>Hey,im just popping in to add that i dont go by the heart
>rate feature on my Tread Mill...its NO WAY accurate on my TM!
>
>I did a run interval the other day and it said that my pulse
>rate was 40 :eek:...yeah right! I was huffing and a puffing! LOL
>I did it agian and it said 195 :eek:! ????
>

Amelia--
My treadmill is the same way! No matter how hard I'm working, it says that my pulse is 70-80. It's a new treadmill, so I may call the manufacturer about it.

lisa

Lisa,mine is new too...i did some research on the matter and found that well,unless there is a cord or something that is hooked up to your pulse...there not very accurate! Course im no expert;-)

I have thought about buying a heart rate monitor but im afraid my DH would have a heart attack if i bought anything else right now! :+ but its not like i WOULDN'T use it,LOL

one day i will buy one!

I have the Polar F11. Which I love. It gives you a fitness teat which is nice. I use it for my HIIT to make sure I get my heart rate up and then watch to see I recovered to go again. Great tool to push yourself harder or take it easy to recover. I would even recomend the basic one from Polar as well, if all you care about is your heart rate and a stopwatch.

Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.