Flexibility

kristi

Cathlete
I've been doing strength training and cardio for a long time, but I've noticed that my flexibility has over time diminished. I've read in numerous fitness magazines that strength training can cause it especially if some one does not work on it, which makes sense to me. Do you purposely set aside a workout to work on this or does it get maybe a minute or two of your time after a workout. Also, do you do yoga or just normal stretching to increase your flexibility?

Hi kristi,

I increased my flexibility by adding a 30 minute stretch video once/week. I usually scheduled it with a 30 minute aerobic workout that way my muscles were warmed up and ready for a nice stretch.

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

I do yoga 1-3 days a week in the a.m. (cardio and strength at night) love it, increased my flexibilty three-fold.

I don't have enough time to devote to stretching properly and fully after cardio or weights, although I do a 30-second stretch per body part worked.

I started yoga about three years ago when I was 31 for exactly the reason you stated--I started feeling unhealthfully tight and stiff in the mornings and after workout, and my flexibility was significantly reduced. I was also starting to get sports injuries for the first time in my life.

I think it's a good idea for any regular exerciser, esp. over 30 yrs old, to devote at least one 30 minute minimum session/week for a good, overall body stretch. If yoga is not your thing, there are a number of all stretch tapes/dvds that do this- Tamilee Webb, Karen Voight, Millenium Stretch (scott something)...they include proper warm up so you can stretch safely and properly....

It doesn't take much, you just have to be consistent.

I love flexibility training and would do it every day if time allowed... don't know why, but it does feel good. I have Denise Austin's Pilates/Yoga DVD and it is ok. They are 20 minutes long which good in a time crunch. I also like a more athletic stretch from my step instructor days and Karen Voight's video is excellent IMO.

Cathe - Please put out a flexibility video!!!!!

Katie

Andrea..............

I have several I really like:

-Denise Austin's Stretch & Flex (dated, but a good stretch)

-Tamilee Webb's Beginners Stretch For Flexibility & Total Body Stretch (one is 30 minutes of 10min standing stetch/10min chair stretch/10min floor stretch, and the other video is a straight 30min stretch)

-I also just got a stretch video from Kay here on our forum but I haven't tried it yet, she traded me Karen Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch.

But the 3 I mentioned above I really enjoy because they are athletic stretch and only 30 minutes from start to finish, except for the one that can be broken down into 10, 20 or 30min depending on how much time you want to stretch.

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

I do traditional stretching videos & yoga for flexibility. At least once a week I do a long video or class. I need more than a few minutes of stretching at the end of a workout.

I love Scott Cole's Millenium Stretch but it's a full hour, so I find myself grabbing one of Tamilee Webb's videos more often. They're called beginning stretching but it's just traditional stretches done with your own range of motion.

Voight's Pure & Simple Stretch is fine, but she's almost robotic in it. The yoga portions of her Sleek Physique DVD are worth the price of the DVD. I also use the floor portion of Streamline Fitness for abs & stretching.

I attend a restorative yoga class each week which is so good that I can't move on to the regular classes. The instructor is a Latino Scott Cole! It's traditional yoga poses, held for long periods to really stretch out problem areas. Very gentle but effective.

Debra

I have increased my flexibility some since starting. Usually after a workout, I tack on one of the ten-minute stretching sessions from Tamilee's Beginner's Stretch for Flexibility.

In order to help with lower-back soreness, I also tack on a minute or two or laying on my back and stretching out my hamstrings/lower back. I just lift one leg at a time and stretch it out, then lift it a bit so my lower-back is off the floor a little and gets a nice stretch.

I just got Cathe's Lower Body Pyramid yesterday, and I noticed she REALLY has a great stretch at the end. I have been hoping for better stretches at the end of a video and this definitely fits the bill!

Bottom line for me is, I should be doing more, but I am slowly increasing my flexibility some by stretching around 5-10 minutes after every workout.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Hi Kristi-

I do at least 1 hour long yoga or pilates video each week and I have noticed tremendous results with increase flexibility. My favorites are Bryan Kest 1 & 2 (don't have the 3rd), Kathy Smith New Yoga and New Yoga Challenge, and Karen Voight Yoga Sculpt. For Pilates I really only have 1 or two and I guess out of those Break Thru Pilates is pretty good. I feel I have outgrown it though. I do have have and like Ali McGraw's Yoga Mind and body but I must be in the mood for it. It is not as athletic as I like, but still has some good moves.

Good luck with incorporating some more flexibilty into your week... it truly does wonders. I can actually sit now with my legs fully extended and grab my feet with a little arm length to spare!

Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.