flax seed

aseay

Cathlete
anyone have some good recipes?can u use it in place of flour? what about drinks? i also added to my oatmill.

laura

You can slip it in quite a few things....like your a.m. cereal or smoothie. You can also use flaxseed oil. I put some in my soups.

Too funny that you asked this today because I was going to post about it, too. :D I just did a search on the forums and found several threads full of useful ideas! HTH!

I add it to oatmeal, yogurt, cereal (Kashi GoLean), pancake batter, etc. It's really easy to sneak into foods, my kiddos never notice it either! ;-)

I just made a healthier version of Rice Krispie bars tonight with it. Here's the recipe:

1 T. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
1 10 oz. bag marshmallows
6 c. crisp brown rice cereal (I found this in the health food section of my grocery store)
1/4 c. flaxseed meal

Coat an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Melt the margarine in a large pot over low heat. Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the rice cereal and flaxseed and stir until the rice is well-coated with marshmallow. Press the mixture into the baking dish. Let cool. (I put in the refrigerator until set.)

Yield 8 large squares (These are pretty big pieces since they are turn out pretty thick. I cut them smaller.)

Enjoy!

Sue

Edited to add: DS who is a picky eater LOVED them! :)

I used flax seed meal which is what the recipe called for. I've never used ground flax seed so I don't know if it would work. The meal worked nicely though so I'd use it again. If you're feeling brave you could try it out and see.

YOu can also use ground flax (buy it whole and grind it in a coffee grinder or blender cup--the 'flax meal' is ground flax with the oil removed, so less nutritious) as an egg substitute in baking: blend 1 Tbsp ground flax with 3 Tbsp water, then use to replace one egg.

Throw a tablespoon of the ground flax in a smoothie(I grind a cup or so at a time, then keep it in a sealed container in the fridge, and keep the whole flax in the freezer until needed---golden flax tastes better, IMO, is prettier!, and I read somewhere that it has more of something good in than the brown stuff).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.