Fire Loss Assistance -Need Help

A

amanda12485

I am wondering if anyone could help me?
In February my home started on fire and burned to the ground, I lost everything. I literally walked away with what I was wearing that day. The hardest part is that the insurance company did not cover anything, I received nothing from them.
It has been so hard financially to get back on my feet, I still don't really have clothes, shoes, dishes, computer, a home to still pay for, ext. I lived alone so it's just been traumatic for me.
I am just wondering if anyone knows of any type of assistance programs that help with things like this? I have not had any help and am pretty desperate. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it, I have no idea where to even start. These forums are the bright side of every day, I can come here and it really helps take my mind of everyhting else.
Sincerely
Amanda

OMG! Amanda, I'm sooooo sorry this has happened to you. Thank goodness YOU ARE OKAY.

I'm curious WHY the insurance company won't cover ANYthing??? Not sure about that. I used to work as a Property & Casualty insurance agent, and unless it was arson, fires were almost always covered, at least to some extent. Do you have lawyer looking at this policy for you???

As for further assistance.....I'd recommend your county's Department of Public Assistance (aka the Welfare Department). Speak with a counsellor there and see if they can offer ANY help in any way. Be patient with them, though, because they are bogged down and are super busy people. (my disclaimer is that I have NO idea if they can offer you anything in this situation, but they were the first place that popped into my mind.)

Did you own your home.....did you have mortgage insurance?

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!! Hugs and PRAYERS!

Gayle

The insurance not covering is an exhausting ordeal, I do not have a case against them ( i checked all that out). I had an investigation done also. That is why I need help now because now I know I am not receiving anything from them.

Amanda-

So sorry!!! Not sure I can be much help. I know your ins co is being a pain in the keester, but maybe they can recommend some helpful resources. Other than that, I'd say your public aid office. Maybe the Red Cross can offer some suggestions, too.

Nan

Insurance

The insurance not covering is an exhausting ordeal, I do not have a case against them ( i checked all that out). I had an investigation done also. That is why I need help now because now I know I am not receiving anything from them.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I work in the insurance industry currently and have never heard of insurance not paying something.

As another poster remarked, I would get an attorney involved.

what kind of attorney would handle this? i was told before I didn't have a case.

Wow, that's a pretty awful story! Do you have a place to stay now? It's been almost 7 months, have you looked into selling the property that the house was on? Surely that is worth something. You must have access to a computer at least. I would do some searches on there for local assistance, but not knowing your current situation (job etc..), I wouldn't know what you would actually qualify for assistance-wise. It's pretty unbelievable that your insurance company isn't covering anything though. Have you considered consulting with a lawyer at all? Someone who is used to dealing with impossible insurance companies. I can't imagine being in this situation. :confused:

Why were you denied coverage

what kind of attorney would handle this? i was told before I didn't have a case.

I do not mean to pry, but I need a little more information in an attempt to help you.

Why did the insurance company deny the claim? Do you live in a home or an apartment?

yeah, I had to move in with my boyfriend because I had nowhere to live

and the furniture was give to me after the fire, we used it because it was better than what he had

also, i lived in a moblile home, so I did not own the property to be able to sell it. I was just looking for advice here. the whole thing killed me financially, the removal of the mobile home was 3000.00 that I had to pay, it had to be demolished on site and taken out in dumpsters. I just thought maybe someone knew of assistance that was out there.

What was the cause of the fire?
Was this your place or your boyfriends? If it's his, did he have insurance? You can file a claim against his insurance if he did.

not giving enough information

also, i lived in a moblile home, so I did not own the property to be able to sell it. I was just looking for advice here. the whole thing killed me financially, the removal of the mobile home was 3000.00 that I had to pay, it had to be demolished on site and taken out in dumpsters. I just thought maybe someone knew of assistance that was out there.

I think a number of people are trying to help you, but you are not giving enough information.

the mobile home I lived in was mine, after it burned down i had nowhere to live so i moved in with him.
i live in wisconsin and the pipes in my mobile home had froze overnight, i called my stepdad and he came over while i was at work to try to unthaw the pipes and the insulation caught on fire and the whole place just went up in flames really fast. by the time i got there from work it was pretty much gone.
i wasn't trying to sound rude, i just got a little defensive about the whole cat on the furniture comment, it has nothing to do with the fire and I thought it was a rude comment.

The cause of the fire is quite important, and the type of insurance (renters?) would help determine what is covered. Hopefully some of us can provide advice.

the mobile home I lived in was mine, after it burned down i had nowhere to live so i moved in with him.
i live in wisconsin and the pipes in my mobile home had froze overnight, i called my stepdad and he came over while i was at work to try to unthaw the pipes and the insulation caught on fire and the whole place just went up in flames really fast. by the time i got there from work it was pretty much gone.
i wasn't trying to sound rude, i just got a little defensive about the whole cat on the furniture comment, it has nothing to do with the fire and I thought it was a rude comment.

I thought it burned down in February and you moved in with him in June, so I guess I am a little confused. You said in your post that you had no help at all and then it turns out you got furniture from someone and a place to live with your boyfriend. All of your posts talk about what DVDs and workout equipment to buy and I guess if I had just lost everything, workout DVDs wouldn't be the first things on my mind to purchase.

I am sorry if you found my comment to be rude but none of this makes any sense to me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.