facia pain

susan-lynn

Cathlete
Hi everyone!
Just wondering if anyone has problems with myofacia/facia in the hamsting area?
I've had some massage therapy on the area, and try to keep regular in stretching, but it is still painful most of the time (since last April).
Has anyone had success in having it healed & any good stretching tips? I'd love to hear from anyone who's had experience with 'fixing' it.

Hi, Susan-Lynn,
Myofascial pain and problems can be the pits--I know--I have fibromyalgia and am a physical therapist who treats people with myofascial pain.

The key to becoming pain free is in treating the cause of the problem, not just the symptoms. Soft tissue manipulation can help, as can stretching, but many times there is something else going on, such as a muscle imbalance, postural abnormality, or problems in another area of the body, which cause compensatory movement or posture that can irritate an area other than where the actual trouble is.

My suggestion would be to find a physical therapist that specializes in sports and orthopaedics to evaluate you. Once you find your problem, you can correct it and be on your way to alleviating your pain.

E-mail me if I can answer any questions.

Take care!
Maribeth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.