Exercise and Fertility

MomInVT

Cathlete
Does anyone know about the research out there on exercise and fertility? Holding body fat constant, would there be different effects on fertility from weight training, steady state cardio, or HiiT?

Like many on these forums, I’m an advanced exerciser and work out an hour or so 5-6 days/week (about to start STS Meso 3 + 3 cardio/week). I have a baby just under a year old and am still breastfeeding. My menses still haven’t returned, which I mostly chalk up to breastfeeding.
I have had low-body-fat-induced amenorrhea before, but my weight is now in the zone where I’ve always gotten my period in the past. However, I am lifting heavier now than I ever have before, so I am worried that weight/BMI is not such a useful metric for me.

I’m quite lean but not alarmingly or unhealthily so.
I eat a lot.
I do want to have another child soon and don’t want exercise to get in the way.

I have read the basic research and I understand that exercise can help fertility if you’re overweight and need to lose weight. I understand that exercise can hinder fertility by stopping ovulation if you’ve got very low body fat.
I also understand that breastfeeding suppresses ovulation, but I am not ready to wean at this time.

If you could share any research or experience, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!
Rosalind

I have worked out consistently since high school. Fertility has never been an issue for my husband and me. We are the proud parents of five children.
I never did rely on breastfeeding as a form of contraceptive. My mother tried that, and I have a sister eleven months younger than I am. SURPRISE!!
When I was bodybuilding, my body fat would be in single digits, but I always had my menses. One of my roommates in college was a ballerina, she didn't have a period the whole time we were roomies. But, her physician told her she was very healthy.
I think it's an individual thing. If you feel well, and your physician gives you a clean bill of health. There shouldn't be a problem IMHO.:)

Last edited:
My menses usually returned within three to six months. It always seemed to take at least six to nine months to lose my pregnancy weight. The more children, the longer it took. Definitely by the time we were celebrating the first birthday.

Karen

I forgot to add, body fat percentage, didn't seem to be a factor. I would begin working out as soon as the OB gave the go ahead. Right around six weeks. Everything just seemed to slip into gear.

Karen

Another "I forgot to add," all this has been many years ago, so I'm pretty sure I have forgotten something. My baby now has a wife and two children of his own. So yea, I'm pretty sure I've forgotten something. Feel free to ask, it may jog my memory.

Karen

Passing of time aside, it's amazing the toll that motherhood takes on one's memory! ;)

Thanks again for your replies.

Were you still breastfeeding when your menses returned? I know for many women (like your mother) lactational amenorrhea isn't foolproof birth control, but it seems to be having a greater contraceptive effect than I'd like!

And one more question, since it sounds like you've been quite active through having five children (and two grandchildren!):
How did you modify/scale back your workouts while pregnant? Or did you?

Like you, I began working out again as soon as I got the go-ahead from the OB... I needed the 'me time'!

I was still breastfeeding when menses returned. When I was far enough along that jumping became uncomfortable, I did low impact with low to medium intensity. My OB didn't want my body temperature to rise too high. Strength training - I still gained muscle during my pregnancies. Not a lot, but some. My workouts didn't change much. Just impact and intensity.

Thanks so much for your replies, Karen!

I hope Cathe posts a blog entry about exercise and fertility (hint, hint, site admins! ;) ).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.