ever eat during a workout?

pixiesis

Cathlete
I did this today and I really felt like I had an extra boost. I ate half of my usual pre-workout banana, and I had the rest about halfway through the workout (Boot Camp). Normally towards the end of Boot Camp, (make that any Cathe workout actually!), I feel pretty tired, but today I didn't feel tired at all. I work out in the morning, normally after my wake-up cup of coffee. This morning I had green tea instead but I never missed the extra caffeine. I think I like this idea! Does anyone else take snack breaks during their workouts?

Amy

I've only done this once. That was when my stomache was growling and I was so hungry in the middle of the workout and I ate a handful of nuts. Come to think of it, I think that it was during Boot Camp too :D . I usually eat in the middle of any of my long bike rides or runs too. Typically any workout that is an hour or less I don't need to eat during.

Karin

I never thought of doing it before, especially since it's only about 1 hour and I like to workout on an almost-empty stomach, otherwise I feel icky. But I actually thought of it because I wasn't really hungry beforehand and I decided to see what happens if I had a snack half-way through. I was quite surprised when it seemed to affect my energy level. Maybe I'll use this as a crutch when I'm feeling tired or unmotivated!

Like Karin, I'll eat on long bike rides, but that's it. There was one time during a Cathe workout that I got shaky hungry and ran upstairs and had half of a Carnation Instant Breakfast.

Anne, if I don't eat pretty much right before a workout my food is long gone. If I ate 2 hours before I'd be starving in the first 10 minutes. As a result, sometimes I get side stitches, but better than the alternative.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

I am one of those people who HAS to eat every couple of hours (at least) or I become ... ummm ... *grumpy*. DH stocks the house, his pockets, the car, etc. with food and always leaves a container of homeade granola bars (Alton Brown's recipe) on the counter. I usually stumble over to them and take a bite at least once during cathe, and again after. This has helped me to really push myself extra hard during cardio (like Imax3). Like Suz, any other food is long gone!

arancini

Try eating a half hour before you plan on working out. I do this religiously and I don't run out of gas during my workouts.

As has been mentioned already, any workout that lasts longer than an hour you need to refuel/rehydrate such as a long bike ride or a long run, or kayaking, etc.

Gatorade is good for really strenuous cardio workouts along with your water.

Nope, I've never tried it. I sometimes get an upset stomach if I eat too much or too soon before a workout, so I wouldn't want to risk it during a workout (unless my workout was a several-hour-long bike ride or something...which I don't do!).

I do usually put either Emergen-C or an oxygen supplement in the water that I drink during a workout.

Are you sure it was the banana that added to your energy, or was it the green tea? There are other things in green tea than caffeine (EGCG) that are supposed to help with energy.

I sometimes take sips, well, make that gulps, from my ever-present cup of coffee during "water breaks", AFTER having lots of water of course :~))

I occasionally eat during a workout, especially if I'm not feeling too energetic. I'll have bites of a banana or something like that. The other day the only fruit I had availble were prunes and they worked nicely. I find that if I have a little something, it can definately help perk me up when I'm not feeling so great.

c

Suz - I know what you mean, I would think this would make me super skinny, too - but, c'est la vie (although I am not big, I have discovered I bulk easily w/cathe ... and now I snack even MORE).

I forgot to mention that when I used to swim religiously, there was a 90 year old woman who was a French swimming champion who was always there at the same time - she used to keep a container of dried figs at the end of her lane and nibble on one every few laps. When I was lucky she'd share with me

:)

arancini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.