Energy gels

gidget1978

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I am training for my 3rd race and I am not familiar with energy drinks, bars or gels at all. I was thinking I should probably get into something just before race day, with hopes of preforming a little better.
So, for all you marathon runners or HM runners, what do you eat or drink on race day to help you perform at your best? I think for my first race I performed very well, only b/c I was excited! I know sleeping and eating right are very important but I have noticed in the past that most runners have little belts arund their waist with little packets attached...assuming this is energy gels. Just need some help in a recommandation.

Thanks!
Lori:)

I don't like marathons, but I like to run long distances. I don't go father than 10 miles in one run though. I've tried the energy gels but quite frankly its like eating something that someone sneezed or coughed into a napkin with sugar added. I like these Sharkie's gummies for some added omph but I always eat a good breakfast when I know I'm going to run a long distance, steel cut oatmeal, ground flax seed, fruit and 1 boiled egg.

Gels...

I suggest trying them out before racing. I used Vanilla Gu for my first marathon, because that's what they were going to be passing out at the race. (now I can NOT handle Vanilla Gu ever since! LOL)

I think that the gels are great for longer runs, when you need that extra carb to get you through. I found the Jelly Belly Sport beans and used them for my triathlons this summer. I like them better. I know some people like the Shot Blocks or gummies also. (my running partner just likes fruit snacks)

Good luck, when is your race? Oh, and if you don't have a belt, just use a safety pin to pin them to your shorts! It works just fine.

I never did gels when I was doing half marathons, but this year, I decided to try them once I went into the 14+ mileage runs. OMG what a difference! I can't believe how much more energy and stamina I have for the longer runs. I just did my 18-miler on Saturday and I felt AWESOME after having two gels (a chocolate Hammer Gel and a vanilla PowerBar Gel).

I've learned through trial and error that I can't have too heavy a breakfast on the day of a race (I tend to follow the same routine throughout the season, doing the same exact things before running, whether it's a 3-miler or a long run). I usually have something portable and easily replicated on race day, with the assumption that I won't have a fridge or a microwave on race day, so usually it's a cup of dry cereal (Kashi GoLean Crunch or my fave, Kashi Heart to Heart) and a banana or apple, or a whole wheat english muffin with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and either jam or honey. I drink a glass of water about an hour before I go out (gives me plenty of time to hit the restroom before the run begins), and then I fully load my fuel belt with water in two of the bottles and electrolyte drink (Nuun is my go-to electrolyte drink) in the other two. I pack my gels for anything over 10 miles, and I'll also have some Sports Beans and on my last run I packed a PBJ sandwich, although I think next time I'll pack pretzels to munch on instead because I needed something salty after a while.

Probably seems silly, but I've used them prior to 5ks and I do think they are beneficial -- once you get past the gag reflex :confused:

I usually eat a piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and banana about 90 mins prior to the race and then the gu gel 30 mins prior - take it in several swishes of cold water. Nasty, nasty stuff...

Heidi

I've used gels and the sport jelly beans too. I think they make a big difference when you're doing a long endurance activity. However, you need to find the brand that works best for you... they all have different ratios of ingredients and where one might give you the boost you're looking for, the other may make you nauseous and crampy. Make sure you "pre-test" these.. you wouldn't want to risk getting ill during the big day!

My faves were the PowerGel Brand Gel and also the jelly beans. They were the most palatable ( relatively speaking!) and seemed to work the best. The other thing is that its good to have a drink of water with the gels.. they coat your mouth and that seemed kind of distracting to me as well.

As far as timing, I've only done a half marathon and an olympic tri, but I found that if I consumed a gel every 55-60 minutes of activity, that timing seemed to work best for me. You should experiment w/ how often you take these products as well.

Lastly, do you have a "magic bullet" meal you have before a race? Its good to have a meal that you know sits well on your stomach and gives you the energy you need. Mine is similiar to the above posters, except I use a hot dog bun, with peanut butter slathered in the middle and the banana as the "dog". I eat it on the drive over to the race about 60 minutes before start time. It worked great!

Lynn M.

I love the Hammer products as they don't have any sugar like several of the other gels that are offered (such as Power and Gu brands). I need something that will NOT spike by blood sugars and I find that the Hammer products are great. I first discovered them in my local triathalon store and now find them at REI. Give it a try. They also make great recovery drinks and energy bars.
Lorrayne

I forgot to say, one thing I do recommend when taking gels is to immediately drink water (3-4 oz., if possible), so your stomach stays happy. Don't follow it up with electrolyte, drink, though--that may be way too much sugar going on and you'll probably have stomach issues unless you have a stomach of steel. A friend of mine did this on a run and she felt nauseous on the way back from a 10-miler. And while I didn't do this, I did do something similar: having a gel, then having a few Luna Moons (which are a gummy form of electrolyte), and wow, did I pay for it. One of the reasons I had a HORRIBLE 16-miler. I learned my lesson and didn't do this again for my 18-miler and had a great run.

I don't care much for gels but find them to be a necessity when I run longer distances. Usually for breakfast on long run days (or race day), I have a packet of low sugar oatmeal with a splash of milk. Then after every 6 miles, I have an energy gel (followed by water...ALWAYS!)

Now when I was training for a longer distance run (50k that got cancelled during the race due to weather, bummer), I had to learn to eat a little something on the run. I found that my stomach tolerated a PB&J (two whole grain slices of bread/1 tbsp PB/1 tbsp all fruit preserves) cut in four pieces. I'd grab one of those plus a 3rd of a banana and I was good, no stomach upset at all! So if you'd prefer "real" food, you might want to try something similar.

Kathy G

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.