Energy drinks

mickeybjb1

Cathlete
Is anyone familiar with energy drinks? How safe are they and how often can they be used? Anyone have any recommendations on which ones are effective and which ones have a tolerable flavor? TIA for any responses.

Most "energy" drinks and "energy" bars are high in carbohydrates, often sugars that have no real nutritional value to them. I've found that a bottle of unsweetened white tea is a great energy drink, and it's loaded with antioxidants. If I have some about 30 minutes before I workout, I seem to have more energy.

Hi Mickey! I use Emergen-C w/glucosamine & drink it during & after my workouts. It tastes pretty good too. It comes in different flavors. HTH, Kathy:D

Kathryn!

Where do you find the white tea? GNC??? Are they available at the supermarkets? Thanks for any info.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Kathryn!

Health food stores should have it, or be able to order it. It's cheaper if you buy it in bags and brew it yourself, but of course it takes more time.

I see Kathy suggested Emergen-C. This is also a good energy drink that provides nutrients rather than just empty sugars. I also use something similar called EnerC? or something like that from Natures Plus (it comes in individual orange packages, just like Emergen=C).

Thanx!

Thanks Kathryn! I'll go looking for it. I have never heard of "white" tea. I brew green tea daily and ice it. Yuum!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Thanx!

I like green tea, too. White tea has even more antioxidants in , and less caffeine. I buy a brand called "Inko's" (I love their "Hint o' mint unsweetened." It has a touch of spearmint and ginger in, just the right amounts, IMO.

I also like red tea, from the Rooibos plant. It also is higher in antioxidants than green tea.

Another enthusiastic vote for Emergen-C. I like the Orange flavor, but I dilute it a LOT. I put a packet in and then pour 32 oz of water on it. That lasts me through a Cathe workout. It isn't that sweet that way, but it seems to energize better than plain water. Who knows why, but it works. I also like the Lite and the Tangerine and Cranberry flavors.

Thanx Kathryn!

Thanks again. I'll keep a lookout for them.

Is white tea sweet? Cause green tea to me tastes nasty!!! lol ... i know its good for you and i would like to drink more. Any thoughts on making it sweeter?

Wayne.

I like Cytomax. It comes in a lot of flavors and helps break up lactic acid - which causes soreness. The lemon lime is yummy!
I am a hiker/moutaineer and I wouldn't hike or climb without it. I drink it diluted before, during and after. When I do Cathe and it is going to be tough I will drink a very diluted version. It keeps my clearance high on the step!

Cyto is used by a lot of elite athletes - I do see a lot of Emergen - C out there too!

I did a search for the Inko's Hint of Mint and Rooibos and found them being sold at Amazon.com. I haven't tried either of them, but I thought I'd let people know who might be interested.

Teresa

>Is white tea sweet? Cause green tea to me tastes nasty!!! lol
>... i know its good for you and i would like to drink more.
>Any thoughts on making it sweeter?
>
>Wayne.

It took me a while to get used to unsweetened green tea, but white tea is milder. The white tea I like is unsweetened, but I wouldn't have guessed it.

Do you steep your own? If you do, don't go over 3 minutes with green tea, and make sure the water has cooled down a bit from boiling. Both oversteeping and using water that is too hot will make green tea bitter. (Also, if you dunk your bag while it's steeping, something like 5 times more antioxidants are released into the water).

For sweetening, a couple of drops of liquid stevia (be very stingy with it...a little goes a long way, and too much tastes bitter)work quite nicely.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.