Elderly Parents

melagras

Cathlete
My parents (76 and 74) have recently sold their house and bought a mobile home and put it on some land in front of one of my sisters' houses. The mobile home isn't ready for occupation just yet but my sister insists on moving everything into it. My mother came over to my house yesterday in tears because my sister didn't consult with both of my parents before making the decision to empty out two storage buildings and a POD unit. Instead, she consulted with my dad who has Alzeimer's.

My mother told me not to say anything to my sister. I have tried to keep quiet but all I really want to do is rip my sister "a new one."

I have tried to let my parents make their own decisions even though they are getting older and more feeble.

This has really divided my family. My brother is a wuss and won't say anything. My sisters will stick together and gang up on me. My mother feels like I'm the only sane one that she can talk to and depend on.

I am at a loss on what to do.

That is a tough call. If it were me, I would talk to your sister about it. I'm dreading for the day to come. My dad is 82 and my mom 76. In July my dad had fallen and I was off of work that week and I spent the entire day in the ER with my mom. I'm glad that I was there because I think some bad decisions would have been made. My mom caves in too easily to my dad even though she knows it's not the best thing for him. In that one instance I made the decision for them.

IMO, it shouldn't be up to one family member to make the decisions for the parents. Then consulting your dad on top of it who has Alzheimer's, that would have pushed me over the edge.

Not sure how much help I was but good luck with your situation.

It's always a difficult time when our parents have to leave their homes and downsize into to something smaller or a retirement/nursing home. I would talk to your sister(s) and brother sooner than later and try to get everyone on the same page with regards to your parents. Perhaps your sister was just trying to move things along with moving everything in to the mobile home, but should still have asked both parents. Hopefully your mom can let her feelings be known about the situation as well. The older they get, the more help with decision making they will need, and having a power of attorney for both medical and financial affairs is a wise thing to have.
Good luck with everything.
Sherry

It's always a difficult time when our parents have to leave their homes and downsize into to something smaller or a retirement/nursing home. I would talk to your sister(s) and brother sooner than later and try to get everyone on the same page with regards to your parents. Perhaps your sister was just trying to move things along with moving everything in to the mobile home, but should still have asked both parents. Hopefully your mom can let her feelings be known about the situation as well. The older they get, the more help with decision making they will need, and having a power of attorney for both medical and financial affairs is a wise thing to have.
Good luck with everything.
Sherry

My middle sister is very manipulative and uses people/situations to make herself look good. She has been doing it since she was a little girl.

I'm only getting one side of the conversation from my mother but I bet what is going on is my sister is sick of them being in her house (going on two months) and is looking for the first opportunity to get them out. I just hope she leaves them alone once the move is finalized.

I have never seen my mother as hysterical as she was yesterday. I felt so sorry for her. I did not know what to do for her.

It makes me crazy when adult children treat parents like that! Hopefully your parents can live peacefully in their new place.
Sherry

I don't have advice to give you but it makes me so angry hearing stories like this. I work in an assisted living facility as a physical therapist and see/hear this all the time. My patients confide in me many things like this. It's very sad.

My parents (76 and 74) have recently sold their house and bought a mobile home and put it on some land in front of one of my sisters' houses. The mobile home isn't ready for occupation just yet but my sister insists on moving everything into it. My mother came over to my house yesterday in tears because my sister didn't consult with both of my parents before making the decision to empty out two storage buildings and a POD unit. Instead, she consulted with my dad who has Alzeimer's.

My mother told me not to say anything to my sister. I have tried to keep quiet but all I really want to do is rip my sister "a new one."

I have tried to let my parents make their own decisions even though they are getting older and more feeble.

This has really divided my family. My brother is a wuss and won't say anything. My sisters will stick together and gang up on me. My mother feels like I'm the only sane one that she can talk to and depend on.

I am at a loss on what to do.

I have a similar situation going on with my family back in the UK. We are 6 kids and our mother decided last fall, after looking after my dementia-riddled father at home for several years, that she needed a home situation for him because the care-at-home situation was taking its toll on her own health.

I love my father desperately, but I do not agree with sacrificing the health of one parent for the sake of the other. 4 of us gave our mother our full support. 2 of us made her suffer, guilt tripping her and playing emotional cards with her so she could suffer her decision emotionally for months and months. She has had several break down crying jags with both my eldest sister and myself, when she came to visit this may, because we are the 2 of her daughters she feels closest to.

One of the 2 making my mother suffer pissed me off so much I wrote and told her so: stop with the guilt tripping, stop patronizing my mother, stop treating our father as if her were a god to whom my mother should sacrifice herself, etc, etc. I wrote in a very reasonable fashion, I put forth my dislike of several aspects of her behaviour, asked her to stop on behalf of all of us since we were all offended by her words and actions but no-one else would take her to task, except me.

The result? She told me to go "f***" myself, unfriended me on FB and we no longer have contact. Personally, I didn't give a shit. My mother matters to me more, and she needs defending and to have support so that her voice can be heard. Yes, there are more of us supporting our mother than criticizing her, but still: a stand had to be taken.

I am not one to let people get away with this kind of cruelty, bullshit, injustice. I, in your position, would speak very frankly to my sisters on my mother's behalf, and be with her as she tells my sisters what her wishes are and as she asks for them to please be respected. You have to take the emotion out of it as much as possible: present sound, reasoned arguments, factual accounts, but stressing the emotional toll this is having on your mother who already is losing her spouse to a terrible disease, and her life is a carpet being ripped out from underneath her.

You have to be persistent, honest, be the adult. If your sisters rant and rave, let them. Let them be the childish, selfish ones. You need to put your big girl pants on and see to your mother's needs. However, be prepared for your sisters' anger to come your way. Can you handle that? Are you someone who needs everyone to get on and be nice to you? Or can you let your sisters' anger wash off you as you support your mother? I can do this: can you? If you can, suit up and get going. Or just do it anyway, because it needs doing: in the doing, you will discover your courage.

Organize a family meeting. Beforehand, compile a list with your mother of her needs, concerns and wishes. Present all siblings with a copy of this at the family pow-wow and go through it carefully. Try not to say "you did this shitty thing, you need to clean it up," but rather, "our mother is distressed at recent developments, can we please agree to work together to make her happier, more comfortable, and to help her retain the independence she has left as she ages?"

This latter is very important. My mother is now 81, and in many respects, I am now becoming the parent, as are my eldest two sisters who do the lion's share of the caring since they live close by, and my mother is becoming the child who needs my care. However, our mothers are ADULT children, in this sense, they both have a spouse with dementia and the retirement life they had mentally visualized for themselves has been stolen away. It is vital then that you strive to make sure she retains as much independence as possible, is active in her own decision making, even while you may participate in the decision-making process.

Power of attorney: supremely important. Discuss this with your mother. Can you work it out between her, her lawyer, her accountant (financial consultant), that only you gain POA? There is no point having your ineffective brother share it with you: how can he make crucial decisions on your parents' sake if disaster strikes your mother? If you don't trust your sisters, and I wouldn't, in your shoes, I would attempt to be sole signatury (whatever the word is) on the POA. Going ahead, this will allow you more control and the assurance that your mother's wishes are being fulfilled.

Step up, speak out, get it sorted. But also, behind the scenes, you and your mother need to have plain-speaking discussions about what her wishes are regarding $, her health, your father's health, their assets, in the case of her incapacitation. I would present this to my siblings as a fait accompli, once I had all the paperwork finalized. But, that's me. That's what I would do.

You can do this: you are stronger than you think. Your other needs you. Courage. Let me know if you need anything, or even just to talk things through.

Clare

If you can, try to get everyone on the same page with the caring of your parents. I'm sure your sister is eager to have her house back. Dealing with your elderly parents especially one that has Alzheimer's is extremely difficult.

My dad had dementia and it was my mother's wish that he not go into a nursing home. My mom, me and 2 of my sisters all took care of him. My other sister who lived in another state would come down every other month and stay for a week and give us a break. Then she did not come down for 6 months and when she saw how he had gone downhill she called my mom a dictator and a manipulator and said that she was not coming down again until we had help (from an outside source). We just told her ok and pretty much ignored her. She did not come back down and did not help us financially either. We were able to care for dad ourselves until he passed away in 2010. My mom, because of all the stress got cancer but she survived and is doing well at 80. She said the cancer was a blessing because she had to focus on herself and not on the loss of her husband. She said she would do it all over again if she had too. My parents had a beautiful and strong marriage.

My relationship with my sister broke down completely when my dad passed away and she was not really available to care for mom either during her treatments. My sister suffered an injury 2 years later that forced her to think about the past. The reason why she acted the way she did was because she was not emotionally strong enough to handle what was happening to our dad. It was unfortunate that she did not tell us that while we were going through it but she was incredible sorry for the pain she caused us and are relationship has been repaired.

Please know that when other people react in a negative way, it is because of something they are not able to handle. Please be gentle with yourself, your parents and your family. Taking care of elderly parents is very difficult especially ones that have an illness that is extremely hard to deal with.

I would share these responses with your family. Please get together and talk as a family and be respectful and courteous to each other. Everyone processes stress differently and handles emotional pain in different way.

I am sending you lots of positive energy and prayers.

Last edited:
Power of attorney: supremely important. Discuss this with your mother. Can you work it out between her, her lawyer, her accountant (financial consultant), that only you gain POA? There is no point having your ineffective brother share it with you: how can he make crucial decisions on your parents' sake if disaster strikes your mother? If you don't trust your sisters, and I wouldn't, in your shoes, I would attempt to be sole signatury (whatever the word is) on the POA. Going ahead, this will allow you more control and the assurance that your mother's wishes are being fulfilled.

Clare

My mother has her power of attorney, will, etc. set up with all four siblings as co-executors. Her thought was that one person wouldn't be in control. She did this after finding out several years ago that my cousin was slowly stealing my grandmother's money while she was still alive. I think my grandmother had given my cousin complete control over her finances. If she had done it with one person, I'm sure there would have been a fight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.