EEEEEK...It's IKE!

meowracer

Cathlete
We are sitting here, just waiting. JTLane has evacuated to a different part of Houston due to large, old trees in her yard. We aren't going anywhere - our trees are not as big. They are saying winds up to 100mph where we are. Consistently in the 80s. However, it is shifting slightly to the east, at least for now, and seems to not be reaching the intensity they had first thought. Anybody else going through this?? It is an odd feeling. My husband compared it to knowing an 18 wheeler was coming at you and going to hit you, but you just sort of sit and wait for it to happen. We are a shelter in place county, so we will wait to get hit...and possibly lose power for up to 72 hours (that is what they are telling us), have a sleepless night tomorrow night, and just hope that all goes well other than that :)

Boy, that sounds scary!!! I hope everything goes well. Please take care and be safe!

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Hang in there, Shana! We're in Austin, but my parents are in the Houston area with my GPs (my GF is in the hospital). We are just keeping fingers crossed and prayers lifted.

Shana, please know that you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers, and please keep yourself out of harms way. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

My thoughts are with you and everyone in the area where the hurrican will hit. I was just watching the news on how many got evacuated.

I guess you do not live in a mandatory evacuation area, Shana?

Stay Safe! I live in Georgia near the Florida line. I have never had to evacuate but we definitely have come close. I have only been in tropical storms and cat 1 hurricanes. It so boring waiting for them to hit. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

I remember hurricanes past and they are NO FUN. My cousin lives in Houston and I need to call today to see if they left. Hang in there and hold on to something!! :p

Thanks, guys! So far, nothing but a little wind here. We are a shelter in place county, so we are staying and just prepared. It is amazing to watch Galveston, just an hour away, already flooding. The sun is still partly out here. I'll keep you posted.

I live here in San Antonio (Fort Sam Houston) and I was just at Wal-Mart and they had two of those big coach buses parked there and a guy who works there said the buses are people from Houston that were brought up here and are getting out to buy some things. I know lots of buses have come here to San Antonio. I hope that the people who decided to stay down there will be ok. Take care and stay safe.

Ike has moved on, and left a big mess! We were very fortunate to have no flooding, broken windows, roof damage, uprooted trees, etc. Some in our neighborhood had fences down, huge trees uprooted, and the whole place is just a mess with tons of torn up leaves that were whipped by the wind for hours. We have no electricty though. It went off at about 9:30 last night. Fortunately, it is not too hot today. I have not been able to watch TV to see any of the reports of serious damage, but from what I hear, some parts are going to take a very, very long time to recover. Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers. It was a scary, very dark night. The wind was so loud. But, we made it just fine, have cleaned up, and just hope for power soon. I am currently at a the house of a cat that I care for, and she has power so I'm using some to charge the laptop :)

Ike was really NASTY!

Wow.....Ike was not a welcomed friend! Wow.... I am just down the road from Shana. I did evacutate to my inlaws who live on the other side of Houston. The storm was horrific! The wind was sooooo loud. Trees were everywhere! I saw flipped trampolines, trees uprooted, flipped CARS, street lights going through the windshild of cars at the car dealership. a long line of power poles and Down powerlines, crumbled brick walls, shattered glass on business high rise buildings...I can go on and on. It has been 25 years since I had seen and been in a hurricane. Boy, as a parent...you view the dangers sooo differently than when I was 25 years younger! We certainly have a clean up to do in this area....and mosquitos are going to be on the rise in the next few weeks. Ugh.... My house....to my surprise did NOT have any damage. I have very large old trees all around my house and was certain that we would have structural damages. We had sooo many tornados within this hurricane...that I am amazed to have come home to what I did. The gas station just 1/2 a block away..had huge damages. I am extremely fortunate...and I am aware of that.

Thanks to all for you well wishes and prayer for safety.

Shana--hon...we need to do lunch soon!!!

Shana and Tanya, thank you so much for checking in. I'm so relieved that you're safe and sound, and that your homes have been spared any major damage. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Life is now closer to back to normal in my tiny little part of the world - we have power again. It came on last night. Had another huge rain in the middle of the night and the power flickered again - yikes! That is all it was though. We are just starting to see pictures and video of the damage everywhere else. It is just truly horrifying. Those poor people have very tough times ahead. We were blessed. It looks like we live worlds apart when in reality, it just literally a matter of a few miles - maybe 30, if that, to where the worst begins. I think we will have little shredded leaves in our house for weeks to come, but that, I can live with! My parents are still without power, but the houses across the street from them have it :( So far, they are choosing to stay there but I have made the offer of cool air whenever they want to pack up and come over. Thank you all so much, again, for the thoughts and prayers. Tanya is right - we are so extrememly fortunate. (And yes, Tanya, lunch as soon as we can!)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.