eBay reserve question

eminenz2

Cathlete
Hello Cathletes! Happy Holidays!

Quick eBay question:

I tried auctioning a new bridle on eBay. The bridle didn't fit my horse and is basically new. I had a reserve price set on the original auction, but the auction failed as no one bid high enough to meet the reserve.

So, I relisted the auction again, including the same reserve price.

I received a message from another eBay member asking me if I was still interested in selling the bridle and if so, what was my reserve price?

I answered by saying I had relisted the bridle, and included the same reserve. I did not mention the reserve price or whether or not she should contact me if the most current auction failed a second time.

What is the 'ethical etiquette' regarding reserve prices and bidders contacting you directly regarding purchasing auction items outright?

I thought I should wait until the second auction closed and if it failed again, then I could email her, or wait until she emailed me regarding purchasing the bridle. But until then, I thought she needed to bide her time like eveyone else (including me).

Thanks in advance!

Susan L.G.

Hi Susan,

I think the choice is yours. Some people include the reserve price in the auction description so someone will know if it's within their budget range. You could tell her your reserve, you could cancel the auction and do a different price, the choice is yours. I would say (in case you weren't thinking of doing this) that if the auction ends and she decides to buy from you afterward, be sure you list the item through ebay...don't just sell to her outright because you have no protection from a nonpayer.

:)

Thanks Reese! If the auction ends unsuccessfully, do I have to set up some kind of other account or create a 'store' to sell to her directly?

Thanks!

Susan L.G.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.