Eating late at night?

wellness

Cathlete
My workouts tend to be later at night. I endup having something light when I get home from work, then workout. By the time, I'm done working out and showered, its time for bed. BUT I'M hungry!

Should I just have something light or can I eat a meal before bed???
What do you eat if you are hungry later at night too???
Alicia:)

I wouldn't eat a *heavy* meal late at night but anything on the lighter side would be fine.

I tend to eat cereal or cottage cheese as a snack when I am hungry between dinner and bedtime.

You don't eat dinner before you work out though so if I were you I'd try to make more of a balanced mini-meal out of whatever you eat.

Do you get home too late to eat dinner BEFORE you exercise?

I'm an evening exerciser too! I typically do my workouts after my daughters go to bed. I get started around 8:00 usually. I have no advice to offer, just sympathy! I would love to find a way to things different, but for now this is my schedule and it doesn't show any signs of changing! I eat a normal dinner w/ the fam around 6 and I don't ever eat after a workout. I try to lift pretty heavy so I would like to have a protein shake after I lift but I'm scared to have anything to eat that late at night. If anyone else has thoughts or tips I'd love to read them!

Alot of the major trainers (from Jillian to Cosgrove to Bernardi) insist there is NO problem with eating at bedtime..its net calories in net calories out...BUT that doesn't mean a dozen oreos (that crushed me)....but kashi cereal with a banana, some cottage cheese with a couple walnuts and cinnamon, yogurt and banana - all of those give you some "bulk" effect to make the tummy full, and not a boatload of calories......as I ate 8 gingersnaps last night thinking I should be doing that!

i had read a study where they gave half the people the majority of their caloric intake during the day (i think they stopped eating around 6 or so) and the other haf had the majority of their calories at night. i believe their caloric intake was very strictly monitored. the researchers found no differences in weight gain or loss between the two groups and concluded that it is the amount of calories you take in, not when.

I am also of the opinion that it isn't "when" you eat, but "how much" overall. I mean think about it, what would make a calorie affect you differently just because of the time of day or night that you consumed it?

I eat during the night. If I wake up hungry, I go get a bowl of cereal or a banana. I eat dinner whenever I want, without regard to the time. It hasn't ever been a problem!

I don't sleep as well when I eat late at night. I mean, I sleep soundly, but I need to sleep longer and find it harder to get up in the morning. I can eat something light, like yogurt, but really can't eat heavily. Your best bet is to eat your big meal at lunch time, or late afternoon. Easier said than done. I've never been able to do it. It's a tough problem.

Thanks for your help and ideas!
I get home late from work - which stinks. If I sit for too long, its too hard to get back up! I'm at work early too, I have to make every second count once I'm home.
I think - bringing something to eat at work for after lunch, may help too. Giving me alittle more time to just get excerising, and maybe having time for something to eat after.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.