Eat Pray Love

berry99

Cathlete
I just finished reading the book "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. Have you read it? What did you think about it?

It was one of the best soul searching, travel inspiring, spiritual journeys ever. I loved the book. She's a fabulous writer with wonderful prose that describes every aspect of her life, her friendships, her adventures. She writes a damn good book.

I didn't enjoy it very much at all. It wasn't my cuppa tea, but then I am not at all a spiritual person. But many have told me they loved this book, but not me.

Andrea

Well, to put my 2 cents worth, it sucked. I was all excited about reading it--I loved the premise. But after that first chapter where she just goes on and on about HERSELF, I couldn't take it. It took all the strength I could muster, to finish the rest, just hoping it would get better, she would be less whiny. It didn't. She didn't.

I liked the Italy part, but, all in all, she was just too whiney for me. And the fact that she got an advance to write it didn't sit well with me. Plenty of people go through bad breakups but they have to deal with mundane real life stuff in the process-a year off traveling paid for by a publisher is not an option. My thought is that she'd have gotten over it a lot sooner had she not had so much time on her hands.

Maybe she'll write a second book: Eat Pray Love II: Getting Over the Guy I Met in Bali.

Thanks for your thoughts! I read this book for book club and it is the only reason why I finished it. I would have totally not made it through Italy if I was reading this on my own. I feel the same way most of you did. I know that this book has helped many women through difficult times, but I just don't get why!

Interesting . . . I have this one sitting on my table waiting until I get back into my reading mode, which is usually Spring through Summer when I enjoy the outdoors.

Now I believe I'll at least start it to see what's up - I had heard so many good reviews but none that didn't like it. Y'all got me thinking about it now . . .:*

Jacque, I'd love to know what you think. I think whether you like this book or not is highly personal. I will be interested to see what people at my book club thought about this one. I too was surprised I didn't like it because it gets such great reviews.

I enjoyed it...partly because I can identify with being whiney and self involved. I think that the journey of self-discovery and personal evolution can be rather unattractive to others when you put it all out there like she did. I see the process as kind of like being a 15-year old again, where it's all about you. I've heard it said that when a person becomes addicted (to whatever), their personal development stops where the addiction begins. I see her as someone who didn't abuse substances, but rather an addictive/unhealthy relationship, so the "what-about-me/who-am-I/what-do-I want for my life" place she writes from is the natural place to begin her book and then to move forward from.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.