Earthquake

sarab

Cathlete
Did anyone else feel that this morning. I was shook out of bed this morning. My whole house was rattling. Scary stuff!

Sara

YES!!! We felt it in Indy, but I bet we didn't shake like you did. I jumped out of bed because I had no idea what was going on and then I noticed the birds were going crazy. Wow, that was weird... How are you guys doing? Were the kids afraid? Mine, and DH, are still out of it and have no idea what happened; a tornado could rip through our house and they wouldn't know, lol.

ETA: here is a link from WTHR: http://www.wthr.com/global/story.asp?s=8191497 Sounds like there wasn't reported damage yet, which I am very grateful for! :)

Missy

I am in Champaign-Urbana area in Illinois and felt it, the whole house shoke for quite some time. Epicenter was near Olney, not New Madrid.

So is it fair to get tornados and earthquakes?:D

I think it will be scary if New Madrid goes, because that is a big one. They said this was New Wabash, an extension of New MAdrid, but these little ones don't do near the damage New MAdrid could do.

I started a thread because I somehow missed this one.

Yes, it was a very strange experience to be shaken awake, especially living in a normally earthquake-free area.

We felt it in a western Suburb of Chicago. My husband and I both woke up from the bed shaking. It was a pretty gentle shaking.

Wow! This is scary. I do think I felt the bed shaking the tiniest bit, but I'm pretty far North in Michigan so I don't know for sure.

We moved here (in Aug.) from Southern Illinois so this is really weird to me. I've emailed some friends to see if they're ok but from the news reports it sounds like no major damage or injuries, so I'm not too worried.

Hope everyone is OK?

Janie

4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif
[/url]

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

I'm in central IL and didn't feel anything!! But when my dh got to work (15 min away) he said a lot of people there felt it!! Either we were all really tired or just far enough away not to feel it?

Earthquakes are weird - depending on where you are in relationship to the quake, you might not feel it, but people further away were really affected. If you go to the US Geological link - it shows where it was felt the most.

Then again, I've lived in California for 10 years now, and slept through my first 3 quakes (all under 5 points). So, it's easy to sleep through them too, especially if you have a bedmate who tends to be restless so you're used to a little shaking at night. :+

My former boss just emailed me that it just happened again. 4.5 this time. I guess it's an aftershock. Her poor doggy is totally traumatized. She has a golden retriever who freaks out during thunderstorms. Apparently she squeezed herself into her safe place and will not come out. Such a sensitive pup. :-(

>Looks like y'all just had a pretty strong after shock, too -
>a 4.6! That can be a jolt. Did you feel that one?

I didn't feel a thing! I'm at work now. I wonder if the cats felt it at home?

Hey,

Wow, it is crazy how spread out we are, but felt the same shaking. I felt another tiny little shake around 11:30 or so. My bff lives in Olney, Il and my mom lives in that area too. Stuff was falling off her walls during the aftershock (or whatever it was) at 11:30.

Sara

It woke me up last night (dog and kids and cats ALL slept through it). My chandeliers, windows, crystal, etc. all shook. I felt the aftershock this morning- very weird. That was more of a little rumble, where as the one last night was at least 30 seconds.

We live in St. Louis right by the Mississippi River (New Madrid fault line) in a 3 story brick house built on top of limestone. Not a good place to be during an earthquake.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.