The Dreaded Swimsuit Mirror

nancy324

Cathlete
OMG. I had to shop for a swimsuit today, and I'm still reeling from the Dreaded Swimsuit Mirror. I purposely chose a dressing room where the light was indirect, but it was still rough going. My BMI is about 19. Is it possible to have a low BMI and still have too much body fat? Or can florescent lighting completely distort reality? I did get a suit, thank goodness. At least I can go on vacation now. But I'm bummed because I thought when I finally reached my Ideal Weight I would look good in a swimsuit. Not so much. :confused:

I think we are all too critical of ourselves! I have lost 20 lbs. and still feel fat! My BMI is at 22 and my body fat is still high (I'm working on it though), but I still don't think I look good! Everyone else tells me I look great!

We need to get second opinions I think! You probably look terrific in the swimsuit!

Tricia

The most gorgeous feature on a woman is her confidence...put that bathing suit on with pride and enjoy your vacation! You work hard for that body. You are the ONLY one who is being critical of you!
(I was at the community pool yesterday and saw a woman in a 2 piece that was at least 400lbs) It didn't bother me. If felt very sad for her but she was having a great time, so please enjoy yourself...no regrets.:D
Besides...I'd bet you have the most sexiest cardiovascular system of all the other vacationers!:p
Sincerely,

Why do we torture ourselves? I am sure that you look great in your new suit. I am sure any "imperfections" that you see no one else can. Enjoy yourself. A vacation is a time to relax not worry over how you look in your bathing suit.

Thanks all. I started this post from my office, because I went to work after I bought the swimsuit. I tried it on again at home and I didn't look as bad in my mirror at home. ;) I assure you I have every intention of enjoying my vacation! :D I just plan to work out a lot before I go!

I know exactly how you feel. I don't know what it is with some dressing room mirrors and their lighting, but some of them make me look like a jar of marshmalllow fluff. And then I wonder.....do I look this bad in natural lighting too!!!!!! It is so depressing. Dressing room mirrors and their crappy lighting have sent me into bouts of depression. I know that might sound so superficial and I have tried very hard to feel confident and LOVE my body. But it is so discouraging when you work your butt off working out, eating right and doing everything you can to get into great shape and then you look in those mirrors and they highlight every little bit of cellulite!!!!!
Paula

{{Nancy}} I thought the same thing when I reached my goal weight. Look out beach, here I come. Then I saw a picture of my thighs taken during a run. Saggy, baggy, wrinkly, elephanty old lady skin. And it's the same on my arms and stomach. Oh well, I love Wendy's advice. Have a great time in Key West.

I totally understand how you feel. I try not to focus on it. It's hard when I first walk out on the beach and take my cover off. I feel so exposed:eek: I feel like everyone is viewing the tiniest of imperfections on my body.

Last trip to the beach, I saw an overweight senior citizen wearing a bikini!
You know what..... she did not have the body for that swimsuit but she didn't seem to care. I would have guessed her age around 80ish and thought well, if you live that long you should do what makes you feel good. I guess the bikini made her happy. Now if only I could get to that place in my head:cool:

I know exactly how you feel. I don't know what it is with some dressing room mirrors and their lighting, but some of them make me look like a jar of marshmalllow fluff. And then I wonder.....do I look this bad in natural lighting too!!!!!! It is so depressing. Dressing room mirrors and their crappy lighting have sent me into bouts of depression. I know that might sound so superficial and I have tried very hard to feel confident and LOVE my body. But it is so discouraging when you work your butt off working out, eating right and doing everything you can to get into great shape and then you look in those mirrors and they highlight every little bit of cellulite!!!!!
Paula

That is exactly it, Paula! I don't know how old you are, but when I was growing up, there was so much emphasis placed on looking right if you were a girl. I've tried to change my feelings about that, but it's hard to teach this old dog new tricks. I am so grateful that my nieces have other ways of defining themselves. They play squash and field hockey, do volunteer work, and have dozens of things that go into making up their self-images. Thank goodness they will never be like me!

ETA: By the way, great shoulders!

Last edited:
{{Nancy}} I thought the same thing when I reached my goal weight. Look out beach, here I come. Then I saw a picture of my thighs taken during a run. Saggy, baggy, wrinkly, elephanty old lady skin. And it's the same on my arms and stomach. Oh well, I love Wendy's advice. Have a great time in Key West.

Robin, I was thinking the exact same thing in the dressing room. I saw the muscle in my legs, but I also saw the "old lady skin" (I thought the same words in my head) hanging from the bone. It's funny, because it's easy for me to think how terrific it is that you won a medal for that run, and be incredibly proud of you for what you accomplished, and think that you are just generally all-around awesome, and not give a rat's ass what your legs look like, and think that knowing how much you exercise your legs probably look pretty good anyway. It's not so easy to apply such thoughts to myself, though. Isn't it always like that?? :rolleyes:

I completely sympathize with you and everyone else! That is why for the past few years I've ordered a bunch of suits online and tried them on in front of the mirror in my bedroom..which I look much more totally awesome in....especially if I angle the lights just so...open the shades just right....!!!! It may take a couple of tries, but I always seems to find a good swimsuit.

Aimee

Awww Nancy, you make me blush. I guess after a lifetime of worrying about appearance, it's not so easy to stop. I wonder what we would have found wrong with our looks had we reached our physical goals in our 20's or 30's. And I'm so thankful to at least have the health and fitness level to be able to GO to the beach and enjoy myself.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.