Dreaded Hip Replacement

mbmundt

Cathlete
Hi,

I have severe osteoarthritis in my left hip (I have no cartilage left, bone on bone) and have been dealing with it for two years. I feel I've been doing pretty good with my workouts considering. I have learned to modify where needed. It has gotten to the point where it's affecting my left knee because of how I'm walking. Between the pain in my knee and hip, there are days I don't know which is worse. There are days the pain in my left is so bad, it brings me to tears (probably combination of pain and frustration). I've been seriously considering hip replacement. I have found a doc in Chicago IL that has special tools he designed and is able to do hip replacement as an outpatient (if the patient is doing well). I had called and was going to request an appt and very quickly found out that my health insurance company doesn't work with him and it would cost $17,000,which would have to be prepaid. Well, I don't have that kind of money laying around so I've been searching out for other doctors that do a minimally invasive approach. Still my fear of this entire thing is not being able to do some of the things I love which is HiiT workouts, tabata, plyo moves and the list could go on and on. I'm a personal trainer so this is a really hard decision for me.

I was wondering if anyone that has had their hip replaced have any words of advice or any recommendations. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Brenda

Brenda:

you have my sympathies. When the body starts breaking down and causing pain, before we think it rightfully should (!), it is deeply frustrating. The body just can't do what the mind and spirit so clearly want to and all that internal struggle, well, it's tiring. But it brings you to this point of taking action and I think it will be worth it.

I have just finished a course of physiotherapy for achilles tendonitis (nothing like what you are going through, I'm sorry), and I was surrounded by people who had just had knee and hip replacements. They were on crutches and in plaster/bandages and were all glad they had had the operation. Within a few short weeks, they were already up on their feet and working through a planned program of exercises to get them walking pain free, with full range of motion and re-gaining strength in atrophied muscles. Wow, I was in awe, but also marvelled at how quick the whole process can be.

Last year, my 20 year old daughter had surgery for hip dysplasia. Basically, she barely had any ball and socket joint on her right hip, so she was in pain constantly and could barely stand one legged on her right leg. She was told she might have to have a hip replacement at 25 and another at 50-60 if she did nothing, so we went ahead and the operation cut into her pelvic/hip bone, shifted it around, was held in place with surgical pins, and then we watched, through x-ray, as the new bone grew to take up the spaces and make that new hip sturdy. She still has some pain and fatigue on days when she overdoes it, but now she can walk around campus, walk home again and is an independent spirit.

In your place, I wouldn't hesitate to get the replacement done. It is a new lease of life. What do you have to lose? if you don't do it, well, you know what to 'look forward to' for the next 30-40 years. Medical science exists to help us, take advantage of it.

My daughter was treated within the University of Michigan hospital system for the operation and physio. It is a fabulous medical establishment, ranked #5 in the nation I believe. Our health insurance picked up the $56, 000 tab. We paid about $200 for the deductible.

You mention Chicago, IL, where does that mean you live? Are you within driving distance of the U of M hospitals here in Ann Arbor? if so, I cannot recommend the orthopedic centre enough, and my daughter's marvellous doctor and his team. If you are closer to Chicago, can you get in to see someone in the U of Chicago's health system? What kind of procedures will your health insurance cover? You may have to go with a more invasive (traditional procedure) in order to get it covered: what would the cost to you then be? What would the recovery time be? How long, ideally, until you would be back on your feet again?

These are all the questions I would ask. In my case, if this were me, knowing that I do not have $17K to spare (2 kids now in college simultaneously, tuition bills), I would accept a more invasive procedure IF my health insurance covered most or nearly all of it.

Time to do some research and find out all your options at the different health centres available to you under your health insurance plan.

Brenda: don't dread it. It's a commonplace surgery these days, has been perfected and risks are minimal. The benefits will be just wonderful, a whole new you.

Good luck,

Clare

My husband had bilateral hip replacements this past February at 48 years old. He was bone on bone with about 20% range of motion in his hips. He couldn't even straddle the lawn mower and would have to sit side saddle. He has always been active as he has been in construction/home improvement all of his life. Even with both hips done, he used a walker for 1 week and a cane for 2-3 weeks after that. He is back to most normal activity but he avoids impact moves and treats his hips like gold. We want them to last as long as possible. His surgery and recovery were fantastic. This surgery ran about $100,000 including the home therapy and we paid about $1000 out of pocket. His surgeon is in Indianapolis. This surgery has greatly changed his quality of life, and he's not yet fully healed.

I have no personal experience with hip replacement; however, many friends and colleges have had knee replacements and say it was the best decision they made to get their lives back. They are thrilled to be able to do daily activities without pain.
Good luck, Brenda...we are all sending out healing vibes to you!:)

Thank you all for your feedback and support. I know I need to do this and I think I'm finally to a point where I've mentally accepted it but am still scared and hope and pray it doesn't affect my personal training career in a negative way. I've been talking to everybody I know that has had it done and heard nothing but positive feedback that they were glad they did it. I just need to find an ortho that I'm comfortable and confident with.

Clare - I live in Wisconsin about an hour north of Milwaukee. I've been doing research and homework and am glad that I have been because it has really educated me and help me ask the right questions when I talk to doc.

Thanks again everyone for your support.
Brenda

Hi Brenda ~ I thought I would share some encouragement as well. I had my left hip replaced 3 years ago and it was the best decision I have ever made. I could not walk without assistance (crutches) towards the end. I am lucky to have youth on my side (I don't know your age - I was 32 at the time of replacement), but I believe anyone who is healthy will bounce back pretty well. I was scared to make such a permanent decision at such a young age, but I was really at my rock bottom. I ended up staying one extra night in the hospital because I had to have a blood transfusion, but that was unusual the doctor said. I believe it was a total of 4 days for me in the hospital. I walked with a walker for a week, or maybe 2, but not very long at all. The surgery brought IMMEDIATE relief. There was pain from the surgery but the DEEP pain was gone. Today I am extremely active. I workout daily, with very minor modifications. I regularly go to spin class, lift weights and run... and your faves - Hiit, tabata and plyo moves are no problem for me :) I am arguably in the best shape of my adult life now. My right hip is bothering me a bit these days, and I suspect I will have to have it replaced in the not too far future (year or two?) which I will do without hesitation. My doctor said my particular hardware should last 20-30 years so I will most likely be repeating the process down the road at some point due to my age. Still worth it. I hope this helps you in some way. I wish you nothing but good things and a speedy recovery if you decide to go through with it!

~kristi

Kristi - thanks so much for your feedback. That actually helps me a lot. I'm 47 and wow you had to have yours replaced at 32. It's very good to know that you're still able to do tabata, Hiit, plyo moves because that was a big concern of mine. Are there certain stretches that you can't do anymore because of the hip replacement? Also what materials did they use and what approach (posterior, anterior, or side)? I finally made an appt with a second ortho doc that I'm hoping I'll feel much more comfortable and confident with.

Thanks!
Brenda

Cathe's fantastic background exerciser, Brenda Frambes, had her hip replaced a few years ago, after a serious break during an Ironman. Based on her performance in subsequent videos, I'd say it doesn't seem to have slowed her down a bit!

Kristi - thanks so much for your feedback. That actually helps me a lot. I'm 47 and wow you had to have yours replaced at 32. It's very good to know that you're still able to do tabata, Hiit, plyo moves because that was a big concern of mine. Are there certain stretches that you can't do anymore because of the hip replacement? Also what materials did they use and what approach (posterior, anterior, or side)? I finally made an appt with a second ortho doc that I'm hoping I'll feel much more comfortable and confident with.

Thanks!
Brenda

Things I can't/don't do -- super deep squats. I try to keep close to 90 degrees especially with heavy weights. I don't do super duper wide speed skaters. I just listen very carefully to that side really. I keep movements where they are in a range that can be well controlled if that makes sense. Stretches - Anything that pushes the hip towards the outside -- like these types of stretches Piriformis Stretches - Spinal Health Care sometimes I just don't do them at all, and if I do I don't push on them to get a stretch. It doesn't hurt, I'm just very careful because I don't want the hip to pop out! I hear once it pops out, it will happen very easily (not to mention that I'm sure it is very painful!)

I have the Oxinium hardware by Smith&Nephew (OXINIUM material used in hip implants is an advanced wear reducing technology for total hip replacement | Smith & Nephew - US Patient) In fact, I guess that site has a lot about my surgery. It was computer assisted, anterior approach - minimally invasive. I think the surgery itself was only about 2 hours. My incision is only a few inches - and they used glue instead of staples to minimize scarring (honestly the least of my concerns at that point haha, but it was a nice touch!)

Yay, I am so glad you have an appointment with another surgeon! Hopefully, it will be *the one* for you :D I tried to cover all your questions, but feel free to ask anything else or let me know if I didn't explain well...

I had heard that Brenda hurt herself during an Ironman but didn't know it was that bad. I would say it hasn't slowed her down.

I have an appt with an orthopedic doc on Aug 29th. Couldn't get in any sooner.

I recall that Brenda broke the top of the femur at the joint and had pins. I don't remember her having her hip replaced though.

Regardless she has recovered quite nicely.

Kristi - thank you for getting back to me on my questions. I'll have to do a search online for the OXINIUM material for hip implants.

I appreciate all the input.

Thanks!
Brenda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.