Dr Fuhrman on Recovery Drinks

rjroubi

Cathlete
I asked Dr Fuhrman about recovery drinks so I thought I might share this information with you:)

Me:
After a long workout, most fitness books and magazines recommend a 4 to 1 carbohydrate to protein ratio recovery drink for the best results. The problem I am finding with these recovery drinks are most contain pure glucose and whey (ie: EnduroxR4, P90X Recovery Drink). Would you recommend a healthier alternative for muscle recovery with the proper ratios? I considered soy milk with bananas, but I am honestly very leary of using soy milk that often during the week. I prefer to use it in very limited amounts if at all. I've read the posts suggesting pine nuts and sunflower seeds, but in what combinations and what alternative milks or juices do you suggest be used to provide this 4:1 ratio?

Dr Fuhrman's response:
I think you would be better served by not worrying about meeting some predetermined ratio. You could also just have some water and eat real food too and forget the drink. But if you enjoy a drink, put anything you like in it. If I was going to make a good tasting nutritious drink, I might throw in some coconut or almond milk, or some pomeganate juice, a little spinach, pignolias, banana and dried figs, but their are hundreds of possiblities here. Experiment and see what you like and vary it too.
On the other hand, if you are a professional body builder wanting larger muscles on stage, then I would add protein powders and lots of sunflower seeds and pignolias to the drink. For the rest of us, just being fit and healthy is enough.

Robin:)

Thanks for posting Robin,
Very interesting, I often wondered if a recovery drink 4:1 REALLY mattered. I'm definitely not a body builder wanting to be on stage, but always felt like I needed something to benefit the whole workout process. :)

Let us know what drink you come up with.
Also, what are Pignolias?

I have never worried about ratios myself since becoming Vegan. I do normally have a smoothie with lots of fruit, soymilk and some protein powder after a tough workout for muscle recovery, always have done that....:)..Good question Robin and thanks for sharing his answer...:)...Carole

>Dumb question here. Who is Dr Fuhrman?
>
>Catherine
Not a dumb question at all...)...Dr Joel Fuhrman wrote the book "Eat to Live" and there have been a few discussions about it on this forum. He also has a website if you are interested http://www.diseaseproof.com/ ...:)

Catherine,
Dr Fuhrman is also a former olympic skater....so he does understand what it takes to be an athlete. Um....not that I am one by any stretch of the imagination...lol;)

Robin:)

If I was
>going to make a good tasting nutritious drink, I might throw
>in some coconut or almond milk, or some pomeganate juice, a
>little spinach, pignolias, banana and dried figs, but their
>are hundreds of possiblities here.

He thinks that would be tasty? I'm not so sure!;-)

I just picked up the latest Muscle and Fitness Hers, and in it, they recommend a protein/fruit smoothie both before and after working out. And with fewer carbs than the typical 4:1 ratio. They state that typicial recovery drinks are full of sugars, which are fine for men, because it increases insulin which helps with muscle growth. BUT, it also causes the body to retain more fat, and since women naturally carry more fat than men, may not be the best solution for women.

I tried their suggested drinks today (with some modifications to make them vegan, and using what I had around).

The pre-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder (I used pea), 7 oz. of blueberries, 1/2 cup o.j. (I used a citrus juice blend) and 1/2 cup water.

The post-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder (pea again), 4 oz. of strawberries and 8 oz. of pomegranate juice (I used a pomegranate/blueberry blend).

>If I was
>>going to make a good tasting nutritious drink, I might throw
>>in some coconut or almond milk, or some pomeganate juice, a
>>little spinach, pignolias, banana and dried figs, but their
>>are hundreds of possiblities here.
>
>He thinks that would be tasty? I'm not so sure!;-)
>
>I just picked up the latest Muscle and Fitness Hers, and in
>it, they recommend a protein/fruit smoothie both before and
>after working out. And with fewer carbs than the typical 4:1
>ratio. They state that typicial recovery drinks are full of
>sugars, which are fine for men, because it increases insulin
>which helps with muscle growth. BUT, it also causes the body
>to retain more fat, and since women naturally carry more fat
>than men, may not be the best solution for women.
>
>I tried their suggested drinks today (with some modifications
>to make them vegan, and using what I had around).
>
>The pre-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder (I
>used pea), 7 oz. of blueberries, 1/2 cup o.j. (I used a citrus
>juice blend) and 1/2 cup water.
>
>The post-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder
>(pea again), 4 oz. of strawberries and 8 oz. of pomegranate
>juice (I used a pomegranate/blueberry blend).
>
>

Kathryn....you're recovery drink definitely sounds like it tastes a heck of a lot better then his..lol!!;-) Personally, I think I will just use a post workout drink (yours sounds wonderful!). I'm not a big person anyway and I already eat a hearty breakfast before my workout;-)

Robin:9
ETA: I probably will only do it if I really worked out hard (maybe that will be once every 2 weeks...hehehe).

>Kathryn....you're recovery drink definitely sounds like it
>tastes a heck of a lot better then his..lol!!;-) Personally, I
>think I will just use a post workout drink (yours sounds
>wonderful!). I'm not a big person anyway and I already eat a
>hearty breakfast before my workout;-)
>

I just wanted to add I just tried one of his Athlete's Green Fuel Blended Salad Recipes with pine nuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, spinach, romaine lettuce, banana and fig vinegar ....and I am absolutely shocked to say it is quite good:eek: Very green, but very tastey...I added extra fig vinegar.

Robin

>I just wanted to add I just tried one of his Athlete's Green
>Fuel Blended Salad Recipes with pine nuts, cashews, sunflower
>seeds, spinach, romaine lettuce, banana and fig vinegar
>....and I am absolutely shocked to say it is quite good:eek: Very
>green, but very tastey...I added extra fig vinegar.
>
>Robin

It does sound good. What is fig vinegar? Do you make it or buy it?

I went to his site and the first thing that popped up is reversing diabetes. I think it is a huge injustice that people say diabetes instead of type 2 diabetes. It is a smack in the face to all the children suffering from type 1 diabetes that can NOT be reversed it is auto ammune. Sorry for the rant I tryed to e mail him but I couldn't! I just get upset since I have to watch my teenage son deal with it everyday.

>It does sound good. What is fig vinegar? Do you make it or
>buy it?
>

Oh I buy it...it is wonderful for salad dressings and any kind of flavoring. If you mixing it with soy milk, cashews, dates, and lemon juice you have an incredible salad dressing. Dr Fuhrman has wonderful healthy and easy salad dressing recipes using flavored vinegars. The nice flavors help the greens go down;)

http://www.gourmetcountry.com/product_info.php?products_id=80

Robin:9

>I went to his site and the first thing that popped up is
>reversing diabetes. I think it is a huge injustice that people
>say diabetes instead of type 2 diabetes. It is a smack in the
>face to all the children suffering from type 1 diabetes that
>can NOT be reversed it is auto ammune. Sorry for the rant I
>tryed to e mail him but I couldn't! I just get upset since I
>have to watch my teenage son deal with it everyday.

Shellie,
I am very sorry for your pain and totally understand your rant, but the page you pulled up was only part of a "blog" and the very first statement under the title explains where the section was being quoted from. He was discussing type II diabetes not I and this was stated quite clearly under the header.

Robin

Thanks Robin that makes me feel better. So many people don't understand. It just makes me really sad! Sorry, I'm glad you pointed that out!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.