Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Dr Fuhrman on Recovery Drinks

This is a discussion on Dr Fuhrman on Recovery Drinks within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; I asked Dr Fuhrman about recovery drinks so I thought I might share this information with you:) Me: After a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2006, 09:50 AM
Cathlete
rjroubi's Profile Fields

Default Dr Fuhrman on Recovery Drinks

I asked Dr Fuhrman about recovery drinks so I thought I might share this information with you:)

Me:
After a long workout, most fitness books and magazines recommend a 4 to 1 carbohydrate to protein ratio recovery drink for the best results. The problem I am finding with these recovery drinks are most contain pure glucose and whey (ie: EnduroxR4, P90X Recovery Drink). Would you recommend a healthier alternative for muscle recovery with the proper ratios? I considered soy milk with bananas, but I am honestly very leary of using soy milk that often during the week. I prefer to use it in very limited amounts if at all. I've read the posts suggesting pine nuts and sunflower seeds, but in what combinations and what alternative milks or juices do you suggest be used to provide this 4:1 ratio?

Dr Fuhrman's response:
I think you would be better served by not worrying about meeting some predetermined ratio. You could also just have some water and eat real food too and forget the drink. But if you enjoy a drink, put anything you like in it. If I was going to make a good tasting nutritious drink, I might throw in some coconut or almond milk, or some pomeganate juice, a little spinach, pignolias, banana and dried figs, but their are hundreds of possiblities here. Experiment and see what you like and vary it too.
On the other hand, if you are a professional body builder wanting larger muscles on stage, then I would add protein powders and lots of sunflower seeds and pignolias to the drink. For the rest of us, just being fit and healthy is enough.

Robin:)
Old 04-22-2006, 10:06 AM
DeCathelete
fit_fairy's Profile Fields

Default RE: Dr Fuhrman on Recovery Drinks

Dumb question here. Who is Dr Fuhrman?

Catherine
Old 04-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Cathlete

Thanks for posting Robin,
Very interesting, I often wondered if a recovery drink 4:1 REALLY mattered. I'm definitely not a body builder wanting to be on stage, but always felt like I needed something to benefit the whole workout process. :)

Let us know what drink you come up with.
Also, what are Pignolias?
Old 04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Cathlete

>Also, what are Pignolias?

Pine nuts.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Cathlete

Thanks Soooooosan, I thought maybe it was some kind of flower. LOL!!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Cathlete
Mckmain's Profile Fields

I have never worried about ratios myself since becoming Vegan. I do normally have a smoothie with lots of fruit, soymilk and some protein powder after a tough workout for muscle recovery, always have done that....:)..Good question Robin and thanks for sharing his answer...:)...Carole

Old 04-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Cathlete
Mckmain's Profile Fields

>Dumb question here. Who is Dr Fuhrman?
>
>Catherine
Not a dumb question at all...)...Dr Joel Fuhrman wrote the book "Eat to Live" and there have been a few discussions about it on this forum. He also has a website if you are interested http://www.diseaseproof.com/ ...:)

Old 04-22-2006, 01:04 PM
DeCathelete
fit_fairy's Profile Fields

Thanks Carol, I'll check it out

Catherine
Old 04-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Cathlete
rjroubi's Profile Fields

Catherine,
Dr Fuhrman is also a former olympic skater....so he does understand what it takes to be an athlete. Um....not that I am one by any stretch of the imagination...lol;)

Robin:)
Old 04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
DeCathelete
kathryn's Profile Fields

If I was
>going to make a good tasting nutritious drink, I might throw
>in some coconut or almond milk, or some pomeganate juice, a
>little spinach, pignolias, banana and dried figs, but their
>are hundreds of possiblities here.

He thinks that would be tasty? I'm not so sure!;-)

I just picked up the latest Muscle and Fitness Hers, and in it, they recommend a protein/fruit smoothie both before and after working out. And with fewer carbs than the typical 4:1 ratio. They state that typicial recovery drinks are full of sugars, which are fine for men, because it increases insulin which helps with muscle growth. BUT, it also causes the body to retain more fat, and since women naturally carry more fat than men, may not be the best solution for women.

I tried their suggested drinks today (with some modifications to make them vegan, and using what I had around).

The pre-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder (I used pea), 7 oz. of blueberries, 1/2 cup o.j. (I used a citrus juice blend) and 1/2 cup water.

The post-workout drink uses a scoop of whey protein powder (pea again), 4 oz. of strawberries and 8 oz. of pomegranate juice (I used a pomegranate/blueberry blend).

^. .^
> ^ <

5k racewalking PR: 34:42 (11/26/11)