Does youth end at 35?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Just something for you guys to think about. Interesting but kind of sad.......during the last five years the aging process seems to have sped up exponentially. I'm turning into a California raisin. I have age spots. During the last few months I get a new ache or pain after almost every workout. My energy level varies every day.

Also interesting........if you go to an online dating site you'll see lots of guys my age (& some older!) whose cutoff point is 35. "40 year old man seeking woman 21-35." Sheesh. They have no idea what they're missing. ;-)

There's not only a psychological component to realizing you're not a kid anymore when you're 35. There are definitely physical manifestations. Of course emotionally I'm still 22, but that's a topic for another thread.

The upside has been financial security (at last!), maturity, wisdom & confidence. And the realization that, contrary to what I used to think, I don't know everything. In fact, take me out of my comfort zones & I really don't know much at all.

What will 40-45 bring me? I'm a-scared. :p

Ack. Laura, I've been wondering the same thing. Mentally, psychologically, I still feel young. Not immature, but young, energetic, all that stuff. But physically....

I'm 39, and let me tell you, the bod is falling apart. I'm sure everyone on these forums is sick to death of hearing me moan and groan about my various injuries, so I'll spare you. :p But honestly - what's up with that??? I'm JUST 39, and I'm not ready to slow down!

I definitely agree with you on the up side though. I feel exactly the same way, and much more sure of myself than I've ever been.

AHH!! Don't say that! I just turned 32.

But seriously...the wrinkles have started forming in the past year or so. The years of baking in the sun are starting to show up on my face and chest (age spots). My knees hurt. I get headaches more frequently.

I keep hearing that 50 is the new 40. I can't imagine what I will feel like then!

I don't think that youth ends as soon as you have kids. I have a 7yr old and I still feel young at 35. My body does have its problems though. I had always wanted to run a marathon and I have just given that up. I spent almost a year recovering from PF. Running too many miles also hurts my hips and the old bursitis acts up. I can still run but I really watch my mileage and I never run more than 3 days a week. I still feel young in my mind but I will tell you that I have found a couple of gray hairs in the past few months. The first one completely freaked me out. Now, well, I color my hair anyway so I try not to worry too much about it. Ok that was long and rambling and without a point wasn't it? LOL :)
LD

Well, now I am depressed. I am 31 and feel young (although when I watch Mtv, I know I am not anymore LOL)...
My mom is 65 and still doing marathons and is never sitting still and looks awesome. So, I am going to focus on that instead of thinking my life is over.

My body is not the same, not because of age...because, like the PP said...because of kids!! ha ha ha

Are you kidding??!! :eek: I feel and LOOK better now at my age of 36 closing in soon on 37! My body is stronger, leaner, and I am much more educated in the realm of fitness now than I was in my 20's.

True...you may see a woman in her 20's looking all hot but typically, the average 20 something that takes my class ( yes, I am a fitness instructor) does not have the endurance and/or strength that most of my 30 plus ladies put out in class. In fact, those "youngin's" actually admire fit and strong women over 30.

Yes, I have some age spots ( not many because I am VERY diligent about skin care) and the occasional ache or pain BUT...... I know that is part of the aging process..........HOWEVER, I do not allow it to slow me down and give me an excuse to slack.

WooHoo Fit Ladies over 35!!! :7

My answer to that question is a

BIG

ol'

FAT

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm 35 (36 in Feb) and I feel the BEST I HAVE EVER EVER EVER felt in my entire life! My running has kicked up a notch....I've placed in my age group in each of my last 8 races!!! EIGHT RACES! I took FIRST place on TDay in my age group and there were over 400 runners there. My speed has increased from an average 10:00 mile to somewhere around 7:45 or so. My body is responding VERY VERY well to intense, all-out exercise. NOT TO MENTION my love life. I won't bore you with details, but I feel like a high schooler on the dating scene again. Yes, it takes some creativity and planning now that I have kids, but DATING is SOOOOOOOOO much fun at this age!

SO NO...........youth DOES NOT END AT 35!!!!

Gayle

Physically I look as good as I can with what Mother nature gave me, and I am not about to waste precious energy trying to fight with Father time. I feel eternally youthful in my spirit, I surround myself with positive, like minded people. Unfortunately that means that not very many of my friends are my age....that part is kinda bittersweet. I'm 45 and despite my state of shock at how fast the forties are flying I am staying true to my nature which is full of wonder and curiosity as to what life has to offer around the next corner. I may not be what society labels as 'young' but I am definitely youthful....

Take Care
Laurie:)

>Of course emotionally I'm still 22,
>but that's a topic for another thread.<

That's why you and I are such good friends, Laura. ;)

Dear god, I hope youth doesn't end at 35. I'm not even in my thirties and I have so many d*mn aches and pains.

I have never acted or felt my age "emotionally". All of my friends are at least 10-15 years older than I am, my SO is older, and I have just never had anything at all in common with people my age. I feel like I actually skipped my 20's--both emotionally, mentally and maturity-wise.I know it sounds crazy but I would give anything to be 35 and not have to defend my age and personality to anyone anymore. I have always wanted to be older than I am. I guess I'm just one of those people who will never be satisfied.

Allison

http://www.picturetrail.com/allisonj90

All of my sisters are hitting the 40's mark and beyond. I still think of them as really young especially my sister who is 43. Honestly, they all look way trimmer/better now than they did when they were younger. And sadly, I probably have more aches and pains than they do from my years of figure skating and there is a good 13 years between us. I think it's the individual, not the age. ;) And there is probably a good reason why those guys who list 21 - 35 are single!

Uh, I am 41 and I am one hot mama!:p heehee. I look younger than 41, I take good care of my skin (start using retin-A ladies, it will help with the sun damage and the wrinkles)and keep moving. With age comes more confidence in a way, kinda strange. You start to appreciate your body for more than the way it looks.

Sure I have noticed the aches and pains, the looser skin:eek: and stuff, but I still look better that alot of twenty-somethings. And who cares about those dumb ass men on dating web sites? Losers.
Plus us 40-somethings are in good company, look at Halle Berry, Michelle Pfieffer, and the rest? Sure they have access to the best plastic surgeons and stuff, but that age thing and how you move forward is more in your head than anything.

Okay, lemme tell ya... I am 41 and look and feel better than when I was in my 20's. And if I must say so myself, am feeling like a pretty hot mama!

Oh, and it feels really good to be the one over 40 who everyone thinks is 30!! It's way more fun than being 30 and people thinking you're 20. Who even wants to be that young again? The confidence I have now is so much better than 10 years ago. Also, at 40 for some reason you develop the attitude of "Who cares?" Things that used to bother you just seem less important suddenly. That's a definite benefit of getting older!

Of course I am married, and happen to have the most amazing husband, so for you single girls I feel for you if what Laura said about men having a cut off of 35 is true!! What kind of CRAP is that? Meanwhile, I am here to say, that the older the men are, the more ridiculous they are. It is usually the over 40 guys that make lewd comments or say stupid macho things. And if you ask me, they look ridiculous doing it! Oh, and of course they usually have the gut hanging out and the cute little "comb over" hairdo going on. And yet, they want women 21-35??? What? yea, good luck with that guys! You better have a whole lotta money and be prepared to be a "sugar daddy!" ( Dave and Jerry... no offense. You guys are great and hopefully you don't do the comb over!)

So, here's what I say, enjoy getting older. You are wiser, and chances are if you are here on these boards you are looking and feeling pretty good cause you obviously are into fitness. So, for the single girls, set a rule: No guys over 40!! That's right! Go for the 25-35 guys yourselves! The younger guys are usually intrigued by older women anyway, aren't they? And hey, experience definitely makes for better, well, you know....

ETA: Annette: I feel like having my kids keeps me pretty young. I have three teenage boys and I absolutely love and enjoy being around them. So, although the early years were rough, it has paid off and definitely adds to my feeling youthful.

So, for the record... I LOVE being over 40!!! Embrace it girls, embrace it!!

(Gosh, I'm so chatty today!)

Only if you want it to. I'm 50, and I feel great, look pretty good, love to travel (and no, not some senior cruise crap), and I love music and stay in tune with new and innovative artists. I think it's more an attitude than anything else. I've never been a mainstream kind of gal, and I'm sure not becoming one as I get older. I have friends of all ages and many are shocked when they find out my age. Best of all, I'm happy.

I think it's important to keep yourself educated, aware, healthy, and safe (but just make sure you keep some daring in your life--take some chances, do something - physically or emotionally - that makes your heart skip a beat or two!).

Well... you can look forward to having your eyesight weaken. I never wore glasses until I hit 45. It drove me crazy! I can see nothing close up. Unless I wear glasses everything is a blur!
Ellen
PS I need my glasses to type!

Well, you know, I think what's hard for me is I've been exercising pretty hard since I was 21 so I DON'T look better now than when I was in my 20s. Oh, if I only knew in my 20s what I knew now! I would've broken hearts all up & down the east coast! ;-)

And I don't have kids.......does that mean my youth will never end? LOL!

Allison, do not skip your 20s! If you play it right it could be the best time of your life!

Probably my biggest problem is vanity. If I could just get over what's on the outside & focus on what's on the inside maybe I wouldn't stress so much over how I look & I'd appreciate everything I've accomplished.

Oh well, that's life & I guess all we can do is our best, right? I'm gonna fight aging every step of the way, & I have the incredibly beautiful Cathe as my inspiration. :)

I'm 43 and I have to admit I have a confidence in my decision making that I didn't have before. Like you, I'm not afraid to admit if there is something I don't know enough about, I'm okay with that. I do have some aches and I'm looking for gray hairs. My brother has them and he's about seven years younger than I'am. He also looks older than I do. So I consider it a blessing that I look as good as I do, that I can still keep up with my kids, even the 20 year old. As far as these men who don't want anyone over 35 years old, I wonder what frightens them about talking to someone their own age? But, I wouldn't ponder it for too long, the man who is truly deserving of you, will be accepting of all of you. Your great body, with it's aches and pains and maybe a few hidden gray hairs. Otherwise, forget about him. Oh and just this year, I do need the glasses for reading, that was really strange :.)

Laura...are you serious about not looking better now?? Come on, you look absolutely fantastic!!! I bet there are plenty of 20 something's who would give anything to look like you!! Of course feeling great on the inside is what's most important, but really, you MUST know that you look totally gorgeous on the outside as well!!!

And a little vanity keeps us honest... no harm in that. Okay, I really have to go find something productive to do now. Like dye my grays. Or apply my eye cream. Or fight Osteoporosis.

If you want to feel old, just try going back to school with kids that are younger than your own kids!!!
Seriously, I feel better than I did when I was in my thirties. I have tried not to overwork my body and have incorporated more stretch and kinder to the joint workouts. If I hurt, I scale back and stretch more. It has really helped this almost 50 year old to feel as good as I did in my thirties.

Cheryl

Hey Lauramax!

Boy do I relate! I recently tried online dating and was surprised to see that I was given a age range of men from 35 to 55. I just turned 40 and it looks like socially I am allowed to dip 5 years younger and 15 years older! That seems a little skewed--yes? One good thing is that it does allow you to go in and specify the age range you consider appropriate, but anymore, it has me wondering what is appropriate? I think I am going to give up on the online dating world as soon as my subscription expires. It's exhausting and depressing all at once. Bleck!

On the fitness note, I feel pretty good, but I do suffer from aches and pains, especially when I first get up in the morning. Does anyone else feel like their feet are bruised for the first few steps? Also, I appreciate stretching much more than in my youth. For me, fitness has always been a constant, but diet has become much more important and I can really see the impact that monitoring calories has on appearance. In short, I always knew there was a 6 pack hidden under my layers of blubber,even if I can only see an outline of them!

Oh and I agree with a previous post, I teach fitness classes too, and I can confirm that many of the women in my classes in their 40's and 50's are in fabulous shape (of course--they've transitioned from Jane Fonda to Gin Miller to Tae Boe and now Cathe)! It makes me less fearful of aging when I see how well they are handling it.

Keli

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.