does this make sense?

createdbygod

Cathlete
Does it make sense that I can make it all the way through KPC without breaks (of course I am puffing HARD), but yet can't run for more than 3-5 min. at a time?

I just started BFL and decided to use my old treadmill for my cardio. BFL uses HIIT (high intensity interval training) so I'm never at an all-out run for very long, but still.. Oh, and my treadmill only goes up to 5.0 mph. For me, a fast walk is around 3.5-4.0, a jog 4.0-4.5, and an all-out run 5.0.

Maybe running just uses more muscles and cardiovascular endurance than I am used to from doing Cathe. Anyway, just rambling here :+

It takes time to get your running built up, when I first started I couldn't run very far without having to slow down and catch my breathe, but the more I did it the better it came for me. Eventually 3 or more miles without having to slow down at all......

Rhonda

Wow, I can't imagine going even 1 mile! lol! That's encouraging. I was thinking there that maybe I just didn't get the "running gene" since I don't really even know HOW to run, and I run like a girl who can't run (which is pretty bad):7

I'll just keep it up and hope that as I work at it, I'll be able to go farther before having to take it back to a walk. I have heard good things about the book, "The Beginning Runner's Handbook", so I might check that out sometime. I pretty much hate running right now, but I WANT to like it, so I'm hoping as I continue to try and push myself, maybe it'll "click" and I'll enjoy it.

I have been doing Cathe for over a year and exercising for 3-4 years steadily. I recently started running and I can vouch for the fact that it's an entirely different ballgame! Take your time and work up your endurance. Aerobics and running are apples and oranges! Don't let it get you down...just keep workin' at it! I am...it's only been a couple of weeks for me so I know how you feel!:)

Running is really hard when you are first starting out. I had quite an adjustment phase once I decided to give it a try. When I started I would feel like I was in a full out run on 4 mph!! And I could only run in spurts...run for a couple minutes, then walk for a couple minutes. I can proudly say that now my steady state runs are at 5 to 5.5 mph and I can run for at least 45 minutes straight!! And I have to say nothing gives me that after workout burst of great energy and elated mood like running. I don't know what it is, but no other cardio I've found beats it!!

Just keep at it and don't give up, and don't be discouraged that you have to break it up with walking. There are many training programs that advocate doing it this way. The book that was mentioned, the Beginners Running Handbook, is a great book. I bought it, and it has great programs listed for those just starting out to build you up to 30 minutes worth of straight running.

I have to say though, since finding Cathe and her Imax workouts my running stamina has greatly improved. So while they don't necessarily compare to one another, her interval workouts help tremendously with endurance and stamina which has a great effect on my running endurance as well.

Deni

I agree. Running takes some time. You just have to start small and build your endurance slowly. I have never been a "runner" and in fact, have always hated running. I was the girl in P.E. who couldn't run from the locker room to the track without stopping. But after I started doing Cathe I decided to change things up every once in a while and run. I now do a 40 minute run with no problem about once a week. I never in a million years thought I would be able to run any longer than about 2 minutes, but you can. Just be patient and take your time. Don't try to push yourself too hard too fast either. Alternate running and then walking. You'll get there and it will feel like such a HUGE accomplishment.

Good luck!

Katie

I worked out to Cathe, Christi and others for 4 years before taking up running last year. I also was never a runner and got stitches in record time or would feel like I was going to vomit.

I trained last year for a 10K and started very slow. I told myself that I didn't care how fast I went, as long as I continued to increase my distance. Within 4 months, I went from non-runner to 6.2 miles without a problem. Be patient.

On a side note, at first my cardiovascular system would outlast the endurance in my legs. I recommend exercises that strenghten the hip flexors, hamstrings, and buttocks. They are worked hard during extended runs!

Katie,

Your description of yourself in school is me my description too! lol. It's so amazing to me to think I could actually run 40 min. EVENTUALLY without stopping!! I love that picture of you and your little girl by the way...SO cute! :)

And that vomitting feeling--yeah, I'm getting them after 3 or 4 min.!!! haha!

And wow, my hamstrings and butt are sore like I did an INTENSE weight workout (I did do PLB pyramid up premix yesterday), but I think some of it is actually from the little bit of running I've been doing too.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement!! And it's good to know I'm not the only one who isn't (perhaps soon I'll be able to say wasn't) a "runner" ...so there IS hope for me! :)

Running is extremely hard to me, which is why I don't do it. :) In my late 20s I used to teach aerobics for Jacki Sorenson's Aerobic Programs. One of the requirements was that I had to jog/run/walk 1.5 miles in 12 minutes. If it was not for the fact that I could walk part of it, I would have never made it. I could do aerobics all day and never get tired, but I just could not/cannot run. I have even particated in workout marathons on t.v. where we exercised for hours, put on numerous seminars, etc., but as soon as I hit the track, I felt like I was dying. I also think running is extremely boring which probably doesn't help my motivation any.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.