Does decaf coffee taste different?

pixie9

Cathlete
Or am I just crazy? EVERY time I make decaf, it smells normal but tastes kinda 'off'. Anyone else feel this way? And let me apologize in advance if people are offended by my question.:p

Carolyn :)

No, you're not crazy. The process by which they extract caffeine from the coffee beans can take the flavor right along with it. They try to put the flavor back after the decaf process but I don't think they can fully restore the richness. I must have my coffee intact with all it's lovely caffeine -- I just limit myself to 2 cups/day. :p

Why would anyone sbe offended by this question? Silly!

I used decaff, coffee at Borders, for about 2 years. Didn't detect a whole lotta diference really. What made the greatest diffference in taste and still does is the milk type used. I cannot stand coffee with anything less than full fat milk, it just makes it too bitter.

After 2 years I realized that the switch to decaff hadn't made any change to my mood swings and anxiety and switched right back to the caffeinated variety. I figured: what the heck!!

Clare

I usually don't like decaf (I say what's the point?). But, when I was pregnant, I enjoyed Chock Full of Nuts (I think I spelled it right) brand. The decaf is really good. I don't know if your store carries it, but you might want to check it out.

Oh, I think if I asked for decaf the Germans would give me a blank stare. They don't really do that in Europe. :) The only place I can get it is at the American Commissary and it always tastes strange.

carolyn

>You're in Germany? I didn't know that! How very cool.

Yeah, DH and I think it's pretty cool too. :) I can't believe we've been here a year now! :)

Carolyn

>OMG! The coffee is so good in Europe (puts Starbucks to
>shame): why would you bother with decaff?
>
>Clare ;-)

Agreed. The coffee I had in Italy was to die for. One of the first things I learned how to order was a caffe doppio -- a little cup of heaven...ahhhh:)

I think Decaf tastes worse. But full caf means I can only drink a few cups and I like more. So I mix it half and half. Not so bad.

Carolyn, you are funny (referring to the apology).

Alas, you are quite sane. Decaf coffee tastes awful in my considered opinion. :p

>Decaf coffee

This is a concept with which I am not familiar. Sounds like an oxymoron to me. What is the purpose?

(Yes - being sarcastic - but I really don't do decaf. Full strength or not at all.)

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Clare, you're right, the German coffee here is divine! I can't wait till we travel to Italy so I can try the coffee there. I'm quite a coffee hound if you haven't discovered!}( The reason I've been trying decaf is because I've been having a little too much coffee lately and I think I'm overdoing it. It's just too gross to drink though. I just need to bite the bullet and limit my coffee intake. Maybe I'll go back to healthy teas - they just don't taste as yummy to me though.:)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

There is actually a lot of decaf in Germany, don't know why the Germans would give you a blank stare.

You may want to try this one, it should be available in any supermarket

Dallmayr Prodomo koffeinfrei (=decaf)

Here is a picture of the package, so it might be easier to find

http://www.ciao.de/Prodomo_koffeinfrei__405177

Let me know what you think. I am not a big coffee drinker, never have been but I liked this one. However, the way I drink coffee is, I have a little bit of coffee with my milk :)

Decaf always tastes weak to me and a tad "off" I always drink the real stuff. Even at night. (you know you drink too much coffee when you can drink a whole pot and go to bed and sleep all night!)

Nan

Thank you Carola and Dutchie! I'll have to check out those brands. I asked a couple of my German neighbors and they looked at me like I was crazy. :) Maybe they're just hardcore coffee drinkers. :)

Carolyn

I can't really taste the difference. I stopped drinking reg due to migraines but I still need the coffee in the a.m. psychologically to wake me up. I love my decaf!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.