diet strickness

kariev

Cathlete
i wanted to know how strick you all are with your diet? why are you strick with your diet and since becoming stricker, do you see a difference in your physique or just mentally annoyed LOL

I make it my goal to eat well about 85% of the time. It's very doable for me and helps me to maintain. I am not looking to grace the covers of Oxygen, so I have no desire to have a really strict diet...I like food (and dessert) too much. I make good choices at restaurants most of the time and the the times I don't make it easy to stay on track the rest of the time because I don't feel like I'm being deprived.

I don't know f I'm strict or not, (My daughters think so)I try to eat as healthy as I can, affordable you know there is never coupons for vegetables and fruits. I haven't eat out sense my DH deploy, If I go out with my girls we try to eat before we are out of the door,and we share food so we don't eat a 3000 calories meal for person, I always have snacks in my purse, fruit and nuts. I haven't drink alcohol for 5 months.I can't wait tho until my DH get back and have some drinks.
Well I can give you a list and you will think that I'm cheap:eek::confused::rolleyes:
I don't think I'm depraving anything is just learning to eat, I allow my self to have something that I really, really want but that's only one in awhile :p

COUNTING DAYS;)
5 more weeks until my DH get back home.
Eunice:D

I'm sure this answer is different for everyone, but I'm a big fan of the 90/10 rule. Eat healthy/clean/"strict" 90% of the time and eat what you want 10% of the time. IMO if you are always super-strict and never eat treats, etc. then you are setting yourself up for failure, binging/overeating and mental/emotional stress. I stopped yo-yo dieting and I reached my goal weight and beyond because I stopped depriving myself and trying to eat perfect 100% of the time.

Sometimes I eat a small treat everyday (usually dark chocolate) and keep it around 200 cals or less of my total daily cals. Sometimes I don't feel like it during the week and indulge a little more on the weekend on something I REALLY want (maybe Mexican or Thai food...but I only eat 1/2 whatever I get). This keeps me sane, although I will admit that if I decide to eat a trigger food (cookies, brownies, etc) then it is hard to stop...so I try to make my treats things that don't trigger me to overeat.

I have to be very conscious about what I put in my body and health is very important to me, not just maintaining my weight loss or how I look. I FEEL so much better when I eat healthy 90% of the time. :D

i wanted to know how strick you all are with your diet? why are you strick with your diet and since becoming stricker, do you see a difference in your physique or just mentally annoyed LOL

I'm very strict with my diet right now. I'm going through a stressful time and I'm afraid if I let my diet go, I'll be 300 pounds in 2 weeks. Right now I'm eat very healthy. I'm eating healthy proteins, veggies, fruits and whole grains. I only drink water, green tea and a bit of low-sugar juice in the morning to get my vitamins down.

I don't eat any fast food, sweets or fried foods. I allow myself a cheat meal every week but sometimes I don't even have that (mainly because I just don't want it). Sometimes the cheat meal is just dessert. Holidays and my birthday are usually free days and I eat whatever I want.

I don't weigh myself but I know I have lost inches because my clothes are fitting better and a pair of jeans I wore last week were just hanging on me. My upper body is more lean as is my core. My legs are slimmer as well and people are telling me that it looks like I lost weight.

I'm am very focused on my health right now. As I said, I'm going through a stressful time so I make sure I'm eating the right foods and getting my exercise. I actually feel for the first time in years that I have my eating under control. I guess there is a silver lining in all situations.

I agree with Ellesan....being strict with what I eat has more to do with how I listen to my body and feed it what it needs in order to be healthy, not fit into a certain pair of jeans. Nothing feels better than feeling energetic and healthy inside and out. I am strict because when I eat crap I feel like crap, and when I eat well, I feel well and I know then that I am well. My body is happy when I am strict and disciplined. And honestly when you finally adopt a regimen of healthy eating and healthy habits, it feels almost impossible to separate yourself from that and go back to your old ways. Sure chocolate cake tastes good when it's going down, but afterwards the body feels weak and lethargic trying to process all that sugar. Yet, a fresh herb salad with kalamata olives tastes great going down too, and feels even better afterwards when your body dives into all the healthy antioxidants and healthy fats and nourishes itself. I am strict because my mom wasn't, and died of stomach cancer at 45. I am strict because my dad wasn't and died of a heart attack at 53. I am strict because my clients depend on me to lead by example. I am strict because I want to live a long healthy life with my DH. I am strict because if I wasn't, I wouldn't know who I was. I am strict because I value the body God gave me and want to take care of it, so that I can do the things He needs me to do. This is the only body I get, and I want to live fully in it.

I don't, and have never 'dieted' per se.

I don't believe in counting calories (and couldn't tell you how many I eat in a day). That would make me feel so obsessive. Eating is natural, it shouldn't have to involve math!

I suppose others would see my diet (as in 'way of eating' not as in 'way of eating to lose weight') as strict, but I see it more as them eating stuff that I don't consider to be food.

I just eat whole, vegan foods (raw since March), a variety of foods, and stop eating when I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
I suppose others would see my diet (as in 'way of eating' not as in 'way of eating to lose weight') as strict, but I see it more as them eating stuff that I don't consider to be food.

Kathryn,

LOL!! While at the grocery store a few weeks ago, 7 year old DD asked me to buy her some Twinkies. I told her I would not, that Twinkies are not even food. Shortly thereafter she finished a 5K in the blazing heat. I was so proud of her and told her she deserved a reward. What did she ask for? You guessed it....Twinkies. She loved every bite. Sigh.....

Like Kathryn, I think others would look at my diet and say it's strict but to me it's not because I'm eating what I want to eat. Whole grains, dark chocolate, fruits and veg and organic dairy products are in my house not as an expression of self-denial but because those are the foods that empower my life. I see my food as an expression of who am I in the world (goofy I know) and who I want to be is strong, healthy, fit and nourished in every sense of the word. I surround myself with "positive" food the same way I like to surround myself with positive people - :D - and so don't feel that I am depriving myself in any way.

And when I find myself in the presence of foods I don't normally eat - like the onion rings my niece put in front of me this weekend - I have a few and enjoy them. No big deal.

I see my food as an expression of who am I in the world (goofy I know) and who I want to be is strong, healthy, fit and nourished in every sense of the word. I surround myself with "positive" food the same way I like to surround myself with positive people - :D - and so don't feel that I am depriving myself in any way.
Well said!

I think it's a shame that some people think that eating a mango instead of a piece of cake, for example, is denying oneself something, or depriving oneself of something. I don't see it that way at all.

I try to take as much care in fueling my body that I would when fueling an expensive racecar.

The stricter I am, in both what I eat and tracking my cals and macros, the better results I get.

I have been able to maintain my weight/bf%/etc. for a long period of time w/o tracking these things but it's very difficult for me to improve upon anything w/o use of tracking.

That being said, I am not perfect and refuse to eat at 100% all of the time. I generally allow myself a small piece or 2 of dark chocolate every day. On occasion I will have a small additional sweet treat in the evening but not often and if I know ahead of time that I'll be indulging in something else then I will forgo the chocolate for that day.

I eat healthy at home most of the time w/o a problem. My diet is not totally clean but I do what I can and it's seems to work for me so I am fine with that. TBH, even if it wasn't good enough, I don't know that it would get any cleaner! :p

I tend to eat away from home an average of 2x per week when I visit my mom and MIL. When there, I eat what they serve (and it's never healthy!) but practice portion control and that seems to work out ok. When I eat out at a restaraunt I try to pick from the healthier or should I say less insanely bad for you choices on the menu. LOL

For me, it's what I do most of the time that counts and it definitely makes a difference!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.