Did I just kill my sisters fish?????

naughtoj

Cathlete
OH NO!!

My sis has fish. I am watching her house. I have never had fish, have no clue. Anyway, she did not leave any directions about the fish other than to feed them twice per day. I noticed that the water was dipping below the aerator thingie and called my mom (who used to have fish). She told me to fill a tupperware thing with tap water and leave it out overnight, then dump it in the tank.

Well, I did that and the fish were OK for about an hour but now they seem irritated and are going up towards the top alot. They are eating the air bubbles at the top frantically. She has two silver shark fish, one darker shark fish, and one of those big algae eater ugly things.

LOL. I probably would be doing my sister a favor if these fish did die but I feel horrible about this. Anything I can do if I did mess it up? I looked online and it says something about treating the tap water with some drops but I can't find any of that stuff around here!!! What to do???

Fish EMERGENCY please help!!!

My daughter has a tropical fish tank, and we always add drops of something called "Prime" that removes chlorine & ammonia before we add water into the tank. If your sister doesn't have any of it around, you can get it at any pet store. If they're eating the air bubbles at the top, they may need more oxygen in the water. Does the filter seem to be working right?

I actually don't put anything in the water or leave it out overnight when I add new water and my fish are just fine. I have done it that way for years. I have a 20 gallon tank so anything in the new water is so small a ratio that it doesn't hurt the fish.

No matter how large the tank, putting water in that has been left overnight should be just fine. Either that, or putting a chemical in, is always recommended. So, I don't think that you did it.

How are they now?

Ok, whew, they calmed down a bit. Either that or they are dead!:eek: LOL

I'll keep an eye on them....Thank you guys!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.