DH wants a workout bench ..

Sarah, that looks kind of flimsy. I had something similar years ago & I never used it b/c I was afraid of it. :eek: Maybe someone w/a better home gym than I can correct me, but I swore if I ever bought a bench for home again I wouldn't skimp & it'd be gym quality. You should go to a sporting goods store & try them out them before you buy. This is a one time purchase & you want to make sure you get the right piece. Just my 2 cents.........:)

Lauramax, thanks for reminding me that you get what you pay for!!
DH saud that he wanted something simple with 100lbs and nothing complicated. Like you said, maybe somebody with a home gym has a recommendation.

I bought a York bench several years ago and I love it. It's a good, solid, sturdy bench that allows for flat, incline, and decline positions. Mine didn't come with a barbell rack (but that can always be added), or weights (I have the Troy Lite barbell set). I don't remember what I paid for it but it was fairly expensive. One thing is certain -- once you get a real weight bench you'll wonder how you ever managed without one. It is so much nicer than using a step bench.;)

Sarah,
I bought this one a few months ago and it's been great! It's very sturdy and you can use it as a separate squat rack, too. I use the bench for tricep dips all the time and it stays put.

The internet price is higher than the store price - I think I paid $140 for it (and most Walmarts stock it). It's best to set it at olympic spacing because the standard was too tight to do squats in (you have your choice when you're putting it together.

Oh, and I bought an olympic barbell set (300 lbs.) for $119 at Dick's Sporting Goods. HTH.

Kathy

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5280822

I would second Kathy's suggestion.

There's a second set of pegs on the support "panic pegs". You set them so they are above your chest. If for some reason you can't make that last rep, the plates on one side fall off, your arm gives out... it gives yo a place to "drop" the weight so it doesn't fall on you.

I know none of us ever lifts weights without a spotter.... as if!

I would second Kathy's suggestion.

There's a second set of pegs on the support "panic pegs". You set them so they are above your chest. If for some reason you can't make that last rep, the plates on one side fall off, your arm gives out... it gives yo a place to "drop" the weight so it doesn't fall on you.

I know none of us ever lifts weights without a spotter.... as if!

Hi Sarah,

A number of things jump out at me regarding this bench. As someone has already stated, you do get what you pay for (esp if you go retail), and you should consider quality construction and versatility as important factors in the buying process. I am a fitness professional and have an extensive home gym myself; I've done alot of research and examination of different products.

IMO this bench set does not look very sturdy, especially if your husband will be lifting heavy weights (even over time if he decides to add to his collection of weight plates). This bench also has 3 pieces, which he may not find comfortable. The bench is also not padded well, and it will not provide good "shock absorption" for lifting. The bench length also looks a little short (not sure how tall your husband is), and it may not fully support the lower lumbar region. This bench would not be the safest, IMO, for doing standard flat bench presses. The bench supports are kind of short, which makes racking the weights somewhat challenging, esp if you are fatigued. However, this bench is what I would expect in the price range. I suggest that you may want to keep searching or let your husband try a few benches to see what he feels is most comfortable.

In my experience, Golds Gym, Marcy, & Weider benches/sets are not the best quality or most secure. Really good bench manufacturers include York Barbell Company, Icarian, Hoist, & Nautilus. A high quality bench can run you about $300 for the bench alone (if it is a bench that declines, inclines, and lays flat); racks are another issue. If you find that these benches are out of your price range, you may want to try your local craisglist. I have found excellent, high quality equipment, that people just want to get rid of. Actually, the majority of equipment in my home gym has come from regular searches on Craigslist. Undoubtedly you should be able to find a nice set of weights on Craigslist. Make sure that you understand what type of barbell your bench/set will support (Olympic or Standard), and that will tell you what type of free weights to purchase (Olympic or standard).

Best of luck in your search, and please let us know what you decide on.

Your friend in fitness,
FitGirl-ATX

My Blog: http://fitgirlatx.blogspot.com/index.html
Picture Trail URL: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=fitgirl-atx

"I am only competing with the me I have yet to be..."

Hi Sarah,

A number of things jump out at me regarding this bench. As someone has already stated, you do get what you pay for (esp if you go retail), and you should consider quality construction and versatility as important factors in the buying process. I am a fitness professional and have an extensive home gym myself; I've done alot of research and examination of different products.

IMO this bench set does not look very sturdy, especially if your husband will be lifting heavy weights (even over time if he decides to add to his collection of weight plates). This bench also has 3 pieces, which he may not find comfortable. The bench is also not padded well, and it will not provide good "shock absorption" for lifting. The bench length also looks a little short (not sure how tall your husband is), and it may not fully support the lower lumbar region. This bench would not be the safest, IMO, for doing standard flat bench presses. The bench supports are kind of short, which makes racking the weights somewhat challenging, esp if you are fatigued. However, this bench is what I would expect in the price range. I suggest that you may want to keep searching or let your husband try a few benches to see what he feels is most comfortable.

In my experience, Golds Gym, Marcy, & Weider benches/sets are not the best quality or most secure. Really good bench manufacturers include York Barbell Company, Icarian, Hoist, & Nautilus. A high quality bench can run you about $300 for the bench alone (if it is a bench that declines, inclines, and lays flat); racks are another issue. If you find that these benches are out of your price range, you may want to try your local craisglist. I have found excellent, high quality equipment, that people just want to get rid of. Actually, the majority of equipment in my home gym has come from regular searches on Craigslist. Undoubtedly you should be able to find a nice set of weights on Craigslist. Make sure that you understand what type of barbell your bench/set will support (Olympic or Standard), and that will tell you what type of free weights to purchase (Olympic or standard).

Best of luck in your search, and please let us know what you decide on.

Your friend in fitness,
FitGirl-ATX

My Blog: http://fitgirlatx.blogspot.com/index.html
Picture Trail URL: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=fitgirl-atx

"I am only competing with the me I have yet to be..."

If he's not in a hurry, you might want to wait until after Christmas. It seems there are usually good sales on fitness equipment around New Year's resolution time.

We have a Nautilus we got at Costco about 5-6 years ago, and it's great. Good luck in your search!

If he's not in a hurry, you might want to wait until after Christmas. It seems there are usually good sales on fitness equipment around New Year's resolution time.

We have a Nautilus we got at Costco about 5-6 years ago, and it's great. Good luck in your search!

Hi there. We got a smith machine for around $400 and it came with a 45 lb bar and a bunch of weights. I can't remember whether it was used or not. It's very sturdy. I know that's pricey, but we've definitely got our money's worth out of it.

Check out used equipment. People buy it new and never use it, so it's like new without the cost. Some fitness stores around here carry it and that's how I buy all my dumbells and stuff. Check the want ads or Craigs list, also.

Hope you find something.

Maggie:)

Hi there. We got a smith machine for around $400 and it came with a 45 lb bar and a bunch of weights. I can't remember whether it was used or not. It's very sturdy. I know that's pricey, but we've definitely got our money's worth out of it.

Check out used equipment. People buy it new and never use it, so it's like new without the cost. Some fitness stores around here carry it and that's how I buy all my dumbells and stuff. Check the want ads or Craigs list, also.

Hope you find something.

Maggie:)

I would stop in at a local sporting goods or gym supply store or two and check out what they have. You don't even have to purchase there, but at least you can gauge the quality. Although even if the sporting goods store is a little more expensive, you'll have to pay shipping on the others, so it evens out. As others have stated, you get what you pay for and this is one item where you don't want to scrimp.

I would stop in at a local sporting goods or gym supply store or two and check out what they have. You don't even have to purchase there, but at least you can gauge the quality. Although even if the sporting goods store is a little more expensive, you'll have to pay shipping on the others, so it evens out. As others have stated, you get what you pay for and this is one item where you don't want to scrimp.

Annette Bethel

I would try: Play It Again Sports (sports consignment), Craigslist and eBay (perhaps someone local might be selling one).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.