Is deodorant bad for children?

aveggiegirl

Cathlete
Strange question, I know.

My 6 year old daughter likes to "work out" with me. The other day she put on my sports bra (of course I had to tie it in the back to make it fit) and then she wanted to put on some deodorant before we went to exercise. She really wanted to and she thinks it's fun to be like Mommy, so I let her. My husband wasn't very happy about it and said she didn't need to start clogging up her pores when she doesn't really need it. What do you think? Is it bad?

Honestly, she doesn't need it yet. However, I did think about having her start wearing it once school starts. She'll be in first grade.

Thanks.

Honestly, I don't think it should even be on the radar until she's a young teen. Kids should be running around, playing in the muck and dirt, and getting a little bit stinky! That's what being a kid is ;)

My DS just started wearing deodorant (not anti-perspirant) this year and he's 10. I noticed when he came home from school he had a sour smell, not very pleasant, and nothing I'm sure a teacher wants to smell when they're working one-on-one with a student.

Before this year, I never felt he needed it.

My step daughter is 11 and started wearing deodarant at about the age 10. She started it using it after pe class in middle school. I don't think she uses it all the time but she has gotten super stinky yet.

You know, it's crazy.... I have a 10 year old son and a 7 year old son. The older one is fine in the stink dept., but the younger one sometimes stinks! I'm thinking he really will need it soon, but personally I want to delay. I think your husband is right -- it's probably not a great thing to have a young child putting on. Also, I can't remember which is which, but re: deodorant vs. anti-persperent (SP?!), one of them is worse than the other -- maybe linked to alzheimer's or something. I can't remember! But, I would try to steer your daughter away from it and onto something else that makes her feel like she is being mommy.

I can't remember which is which, but re: deodorant vs. anti-persperent (SP?!), one of them is worse than the other -- maybe linked to alzheimer's or something. I can't remember!

Anti-perspriants (or is it deodorants?) with aluminum chlorohyrate in have been cited as suspects in alzheimers because of the aluminum content (the brains of alheimer's patients show higher levels of aluminum than people without alzheimers). (I can't remember which one it's in, because I use only natural deodorants--and not antiperspirants: I don't believe in clogging pores and preventing natural detox--that don't contain aluminum).

Aveggiegirl : you could maybe pick up some natural "liquid crystal" roll-on deodorant just for your DD's pre-workout ritual.

IMO, there's no reason for a 6-year-old to wear deodorant. They don't really smell bad if they wash, do they? And I think that could send them a message too early that there's something wrong with their natural body.

Strange question, I know.

My 6 year old daughter likes to "work out" with me. The other day she put on my sports bra (of course I had to tie it in the back to make it fit) and then she wanted to put on some deodorant before we went to exercise. She really wanted to and she thinks it's fun to be like Mommy, so I let her. My husband wasn't very happy about it and said she didn't need to start clogging up her pores when she doesn't really need it. What do you think? Is it bad?

Honestly, she doesn't need it yet. However, I did think about having her start wearing it once school starts. She'll be in first grade.

Thanks.

My DD just turned 11. She also just started wearing deodorant on a regular basis at the age of 10. She didn't need it before then. However, she used to put it on occasionally from a sample I had gotten. I don't think it is "bad" and think it is sweet that she wanted to emulate you. That is how kids learn. I don't know that i would make it a part of her dialy routine but if she occasionally wanted to put it on around workout time with you, I think it is sweet.

As for starting her on it when school starts, I don't know that she will need it. Most young kids don't really stink like adults (or teens) do when they sweat. It has something to do with hormones, puberty, getting older, etc. Only you can decide if your DD is "stinky" and actually needs it on a daily basis:D.

Carrie

Thanks everybody!!!:) I think I'll let her pretend with the top on for now. (That's what she did before.) It's a good thing that my husband isn't an "I told ya so kind of person.";)

Kids Deodorant

A few years ago my wife and I had a serious debate on whether or not to allow our 8 year old daughter to wear deodorant. Alzheimer’s runs in my wife’s family so she is concerned about the aluminum contained in most deodorants. Parabens have been linked with breast cancer which is also an ingredient in most deodorants. Propylene Glycol is a main ingredient also contained in even so called “natural deodorants” which is also used to make anti freeze. Propylene Glycol enters the skin so quickly that the EPA has warned factory workers to avoid skin contact in order to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. So in my opinion it isn’t when kids or anyone else should use deodorant but what deodorant to use.

I have done a lot of research on when kids should start using deodorant. In my opinion if the kids are using a safe natural deodorant it should be whenever the children begin to develop odor that showering once a day will not contain. This can be 5 years old or earlier in some cases. I have spoke to preschool teachers who year after year have a large percentage students who do have body odor. I have read many conflicting articles that link or do not link body odor with puberty. I honestly think that it has very little to do with puberty at all. Instead I think it has more to do with diets. Not that an unhealthy diet will make a child smell and a healthy diet will not. I think it has a lot more to do with spices that are used in the meals. It also has to do with how active the children are.

In conclusion kids should start using deodorant whenever they need to. However, be very careful about the deodorant you choose. Find a deodorant that has no Aluminum, Parabens, or Propylene Glycol. I have found Junior Varsity’s Kids Deodorant to be a great option. You can visit their site at www.jvnaturals.com

Steve, While this might be a good deodorant, commercial postings aren't allowed on this web site (even those disguised as something other than a commercial posting), and seeing that the testimontial you posted here is taken verbatum from the Junior Varsity website (which you strangely refer to as 'their' website, when it is evidently 'your' website), this is a commercial posting.

Please refer to the commercial posts policy on this thread: http://thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255650

Jeepers, here's something I never thought about. My girls have been wearing deodorant since they were 7 and I remember my third grade teacher telling us all that we needed to start wearing it.

My girls DEFINATELY need it. We would be in the car and I could smell them from the front seat. Not that sweet kids smell. It was gross. I was a late bloomer but my kids at 9 are already 5 feet tall (I'm only 5 foot 4) , have pubic hair, breast buds and their 12 year molars.

So, I hope I'm not doing them harm, but I encourage the deodorant. I guess I should talk to the pediatrician. She never mentioned it to me.

They thought a very long time ago that aluminium might be linked to Alzheimer's, but they no longer think that- it has been debunked. Children sweat, as they should, but USUALLY that really smelly sweat that happens starts to occur during and after puberty. Children are entering puberty much earlier now, but I doubt your six year old needs deodorant. You could let her use a new stick of Dove, which has a smooth plastic cap over the stick (until it's removed for use) and just not remove the plastic cap.

Anti-perspriants (or is it deodorants?) with aluminum chlorohyrate in have been cited as suspects in alzheimers because of the aluminum content (the brains of alheimer's patients show higher levels of aluminum than people without alzheimers). (I can't remember which one it's in, because I use only natural deodorants--and not antiperspirants: I don't believe in clogging pores and preventing natural detox--that don't contain aluminum).

I believe the latest research says that aluminum built up in the brain is a symptom of Alzheimers and not the cause. The aluminum in baking powder would contribute more to aluminum built up since it is directly ingested. However, the latest research does not support the aluminum claim.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.