Cortisone Shots

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I am looking at possibly having a cortisone shot in my knee (inner) depending on results of MRI. I have never had one before so I am researching it some. No better place for experiences with it than here. :)

Any input is greatly appreciated. One of the areas of concern is from what I read it states you should rest the area for a day or two, so for knee it is saying to stay off of it as much as possible for the day or two following. I am on my feet a lot for my job so I am concerned here.

Thank ladies

Hello,

I had a shot in my shoulder a few weeks ago. I was told to do no weights or pushups for a week. Since then I've done a week of isometric exercises followed by two weeks (I'm in my second) of light weight isotonic exercises for my shoulder. After the exercises I ice my shoulder for 20 minutes. So far, so good! Talk to a sports medicine doctor for specific advice about your knee. You may be able to bike...I dont' know. Good luck,

Beth

I've had cortisone shots three times. Twice for (the same) bad knee injury, and once in the feet for plantar fasciitis.

Each time was completely different depending on who administered it (and whether they added an anesthetic! Make sure that they do!) and the state of the injury in the first place. After the feet, I literally could not walk the next day, even if I wanted to. After the knees, it felt ok but I was resting pretty hardcore afterward anyway on account of the injury itself.

If they say stay off it, definitely try to stay off it. Cortisone shots take days before they take full effect. You don't want to go through the ordeal of getting the shot, paying for the office visit, etc, and then not give it a chance to work. If you have the sick time, I would definitely take a couple days off.

I've had cortisone shots three times. Twice for (the same) bad knee injury, and once in the feet for plantar fasciitis.

Each time was completely different depending on who administered it (and whether they added an anesthetic! Make sure that they do!) and the state of the injury in the first place. After the feet, I literally could not walk the next day, even if I wanted to. After the knees, it felt ok but I was resting pretty hardcore afterward anyway on account of the injury itself.

If they say stay off it, definitely try to stay off it. Cortisone shots take days before they take full effect. You don't want to go through the ordeal of getting the shot, paying for the office visit, etc, and then not give it a chance to work. If you have the sick time, I would definitely take a couple days off.

Or try for a Friday right. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. :)

I've had two in my knee and one in my foot. None of them hurt, other than just pressure. They poured some liquid numbing stuff over it while they did it. Ended up with a small bruise and a bump/knot, not a big deal. None of them did anything for me to fix the issues, though. So for me it was a waste of cash.

Nan

I did cortisone shots a few years ago both in my knee & hip. Unfortunately, it did nothing to reduce my pain but it did blow me up like a stay-puff marshmellow. Totally a bummer since I looked like the stay-puff dude at the SanDiego Road trip.

There is a non-cortisone method that they advertise here in Colorado. A friend of mine had the injection with great results. I'll try to find the name of the web-site.

Pam

I just had an Orthovisc injection today in both of knees. It's a series of 3 shots. It's a gel material. I have bone on bone in both knees - seeing if I can get any relief without surgery. Also considering cartilage surgery - a process that involves 2 knee surgeries - one to harvest stem cells and one to reinsert the cartilage that was grown from stem cells. Very long recovery - surgeon said expect a 2 year period of no real activity - I dont want to deal with that right now - i am finally seeing some real results with my physique and I don't want to give any of my exercises up - very frustrating. I am keeping fingers crossed I get some relief. Had cortisone shots in hip with no positive results either.

I was told to ice and no activity until tomorrow - & and no high impact for 6 - 8 weeks - knees feel strange but not painful. Anyone else had these injections?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.