Cool sculpting?

Caddesigner

I am considering having this done on my love handle area. I am so close to where I want to be, shape wise, except for these darn handles. They aren't huge but big enough that my butt kinda runs into my waste so it looks square back there, lol.
This "shape" comes from my mom and I feel that no matter what I do, they aren't going anywhere.
Has anyone had this procedure? What are your thoughts?
My friends are telling me I'm nuts for considering this, because I am thin, except for the handles.
Am I crazy?

No, you're not crazy!!! I have no idea what cool sculpting is but you have me intrigued! I am kind of small/petite and have a couple of "spots' that JUST WON'T go away. I am fierce, I am tough, I am advanced, hell I am a Cathlete dammit!!! But these certain areas make me nuts.

Tell me about this "cool sculpting". Please.

It seems safe enough, it's FDA approved but it is fairly new. It literally freezes the fat cells, and then your body disposes of them. Within 2-6 months the fat is gone from your body, and supposedly will not return to that area.

I have a free consultation on Thursday with a reputable doctor in my area.

Check it out www.coolsculpting.com

I have no idea how much it will cost.
But I am so tired of trying to disguise the little bits of fat.... If this does work, I won't have to fuss over trying to find tops that "lay" right so as not to exaggerate that area, and jeans that are just tight enough to allow the rolls to peak out.
Anyway, I'm super excited about the thought of this.

I just searched it and Zerona looks similar.

With Zerona you would need more treatments, with cool sculpting I will only need one session that will last about two hours.

Same basic concept though, freezing away the fat cells.

Before laying down any money on this I would want to research the biology here, and not on the website that advertizes the procedure either.. It was my understanding that fat cells are there: they are smaller or larger, but they are there, part of the dermis. Freeze them away?

Clare

I went to a demonstration of cool scultp about 6 months ago. It was pretty freaky.

The "model" was an employee of the dermatologist who performed the procedure. The model reclined flat on her back and the Dr. positioned an "empty" plastic box over her abdomen. There was a hose attached to the box. Apparently all of the air is removed from the "box" and her excess abdomen adipose tissue was was sucked up in to the box. Then that area was "frozen" for approximately an hour, if I recall correctly.

What I do remember DISTINCTLY is that when the plastic box was removed her abdomenal fat was literally frozen into a brick-size ice cube. It was very red and hard. It takes serveral days for the frozen-ness to go away and then about 6 - 8 weeks to notice a change.

It was also quite expensive. $600 - 800 for each love handle and about $1100 for the tummy. The Dr. said that the results can be quite dramatic for someone who is slim but I don't believe the results are that noticeable for someone with substantial excess fat.

The Dr. who did the demo is one of the top dermatologists is Florida, but from what I gather people are not beating a path to her door. I don't know if it is the price or the results.

Good Luck with your decision. You know we will all be waiting to hear how it goes.

Debbie Russo

Just an idea, but what about Lipo, at least it's a proven technique?

Yes, I have to agree with momto4 on this one. When I was in my 20s I was a sucker for a lot of miracle things (non surgical treatments like massage therapy for cellulite, vasculight for veins, laser hair removal, etc. ) that ended up emptying my wallet and my bank account and I ended up only with fair results that were only temporary. Now in my 30s I have learned not to be so gullible. When it comes to new procedures no matter how experienced a doctor is, it will be new to them as well. I heard a plastic surgeon once that mentioned that every time a new thing comes out the reasonable thing to do is to give it about two years and see if it is still being done. A lot of these procedures come and go and they only try it with a small percentage of patients. Also, sometimes the procedures are tested for immediate results and not for results in the long run. You might be tempted to spend $1,000 and save some money, but you don't know how it will look 2-3 years after having it done.

Why not lipo? It has been done for years, there is a lot of reading materials to help you with your decision, you can find a lot of experienced doctors that do several techniques that will minimize scarring and lumpiness, and you can find a lot of before and after photos online to see if this is right for you. I would be scared to try something so new. Just my two cents of course.

Hmm...well all I know is that I have "love handles" because I weight too much. If I want them to go away, I will need to lose that last 10-15 pounds.

Now, I am 5'9" and I linger between 148-150 lbs. Many would say that I was just where I should be...I wear a size 6 (most of the time). However, when I weighed 138 (which is my goal weight), I was fit and lean and NO handles!

From many things I have seen and read, I think we can deceive ourselves that our fat has just accumulated in one spot, but I don't believe this to be the case. I believe and know from personal experience that if we actually did get a bit more fit and lean, they would be gone!

I am not saying this is the case of the person who started this thread, but it is food for thought, so please don't start hating on me out there. Sometimes I believe we just want to think it is "this one thing" that is the problem, and that we can just freeze it off, when the answer to the problem is more comprehensive and encompassing. In other words, becoming more fit and really losing the weight and stop deceiving ourselves is really the answer to the problem!

Last edited:
I'm getting some lipo laser (cool, no heat.) on my arms next month. I got it at a great price and my upper arms always have fat on them (gah!). I don't know if it is similar to what you gals are talking about here.

Hmm...well all I know is that I have "love handles" because I weight too much. If I want them to go away, I will need to lose that last 10-15 pounds.

Now, I am 5'9" and I linger between 148-150 lbs. Many would say that I was just where I should be...I wear a size 6 (most of the time). However, when I weighed 138 (which is my goal weight), I was fit and lean and NO handles!

From many things I have seen and read, I think we can deceive ourselves that our fat has just accumulated in one spot, but I don't believe this to be the case. I believe and know from personal experience that if we actually did get a bit more fit and lean, they would be gone!

I am not saying this is the case of the person who started this thread, but it is food for thought, so please don't start hating on me out there. Sometimes I believe we just want to think it is "this one thing" that is the problem, and that we can just freeze it off, when the answer to the problem is more comprehensive and encompassing. In other words, becoming more fit and really losing the weight and stop deceiving ourselves is really the answer to the problem!

Tracy I promise I won't hate you lol:D

I am 5'8" and weigh 122, my arms are very fit and muscular, yet I still have some nasty tricep jiggle that I can't stand, that I inherited from my mom. Nothing seems to get it off. I eat very very clean and I workout ALOT. I would never get it taken off, but I don't think losing weight is ALWAYS the answer, I am already thin enough.

Last edited:
I am 5'8" and weigh 122, my arms are very fit and muscular, yet I still have some nasty tricep jiggle that I can't stand, that I inherited from my mom. Nothing seems to get it off. I eat very very clean and I workout ALOT. I would never get it taken off, but I don't think losing weight is ALWAYS the answer, I am already thin enough.

Tracy no hate at all. I have to agree with lrusso. Every body is different. My problem areas are the area below the butt cheeks and the saddle bags in my upper thigh area. They have been my problem areas since I was a kid no matter how clean I eat and how much I exercise. About 5 years ago I went to a ps friend of mine to get it sucked out and he said absolutely not. I was very thin back then and he said that sometimes when there's not too much fat to remove, the area can get lumpy looking (google Tara Reid botched liposuction so you get an idea). Also, my butt is very big and muscular from all those years of squats, and he said that if he removed that fat my butt wouldn't be held up and it would look very low and unattractive. He said no. I trust him so I did not have anything done and have learned not too worry about it as much as I used to. I try to eat well and keep exercising and forget about that.:)

I watched a programme on CoolSculpting (thinking I may consider it for inner thighs). The reporter said it was 'uncomfortable' - by which we Brits mean painful (!) My husband suggested I strap ice packs to my thighs and spend the money elsewhere (I THINK he was joking).

Here's an interesting article
CoolSculpting: No needle. No scalpel. No scars. But... Can you really freeze off fat in an instant? | Mail Online

Seems it's unimpressive.

Justine

Lol. Your hubby is hilarious. This is something my dad would say in a heartbeat.:eek:

I'm getting some lipo laser (cool, no heat.) on my arms next month. I got it at a great price and my upper arms always have fat on them (gah!). I don't know if it is similar to what you gals are talking about here.

I would be very interested to hear how this turns out for you. My body went through MAJOR transitions over the past 1 1/2 years and my underarms now have that flappin' flab. :mad: I don't know if your arms are like mine but I would love to know if there's a solution. Please let us know how your procedure goes and what your results are. I hope it turns out exactly as you hope for and it goes smoothly for you!

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.