Converting old home movies to DVD

RunninTeach

Cathlete
Hi all!

I am planning on having old home movie reels (8mm and Super 8) transferred to DVD as a gift for family members. I've googled and found a few services with comparable pricing, but I'm just wondering if any Catheites with personal experience might be able to make a recommendation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I used YesVideo to transfer a bunch of very old 8 mm reels to DVD and was very pleased.
http://www.yesvideo.com/

YesVideo partners with a number of retail places for pick-up and drop-off (Costco, Ritz Camera, Wolf Camera, Walgreens, RiteAid, etc.). They'll convert film, VHS or other video, slides and/or still photos to DVD.

I took our reels to the Ritz Camera in my parents home town. The people at Ritz said they sent orders to them regularly and hadn't had any problems. The DVDs came back on time (you can track the order on-line) and the film reels were returned in good shape. I'd use them again.

Sheila

I'm trying to do the same thing. I have quite a few 8mm to convert. At $15/tape, I think I'm better of doing it myself by buying a VCR/DVD recorder combo. Has anybody done this? How time consuming is it?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.