A comparison of SH & P90X...

sojournen

Cathlete
I've done searches on Slow and Heavy and P90X but I haven't found a comparison between the two. Can they be compared? I have Gym Style CT, Legs and BSB. They are excellent but I want to take the next step in strength gains.

Buying both Slow and Heavy and P90X would be ideal but since I can only get one for now, which series would you recommend?

Thank you,
Diana

one difference between the 2 is that in s&h and any other of cathe's workouts your working one body part at a time rather than combing like in p90x. for example, in s&h chest/back she works the chest first then the back. in p90x he alternates between the 2.i find that more interesting. with his shoulders and arms dvd you work shoulder,bi,tri,repeat,short water break and then another round. very unique moves. plus good core at the end.

laura

Hi! I have been thinking of getting the P90X training set, I am looking for someting new. I have been doing Cathe for a few years. do you feel it is a good program, and I could benefit from it. Just trying to get some opinions before I purchase, I have been so pleased with Cathe that I am hesitatnt to get anything else, she's great. Thaks for any help or advice about other programs.
Take care, Kim

i have been very pleased with p90x. if you want more info or reviews, do an advanced search for p90x on this web page.

laura

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for P90X. While both can give you nice stength gains (particularly in the upper body), they really take two different approaches.

SH uses very slow and heavy reps where you reach failure at 8 reps, doing 3 sets of each exercise. It takes a lot of mental concentration.

P90X uses heavy weights (if you're going for size) and body weight in sets that are sometimes 8-10, sometimes 16-20 or more, sometimes you just do as many as you absolutely can in a set amount of time. The workouts alternate between body parts worked, instead of doing three set in a row of one thing. The variety of the P90X workouts give them a high fun factor, IMO.

Thank you everyone for taking time to respond. I actually won P90X on ebay last night...I hardly ever win anything!!! I am excited to see what the program can do for me.

Diana

I was bidding on the ebay auction you won last night for P90X! Funny. Can't wait to try it. Let us all know what you think!

I think you made the right choice. I have both, and use both, but P90X is a full 13 week rotation where S&H is three workouts. Both have advantages. What I like about P90X is that there is a lot of sound research behind the rotation, and I think by following it, and seeing the advantages of that research, you're able to continue on in a smarter way.

Christine,
Have you followed the P90X rotation yet? I have a feeling that one day I will break down and order these. I want my hubby to look at it b/c I think he would enjoy it for a break from the gym and we could do the weight training together.
Angela:7

Just curious Diana have you done it?

Angela - I just got it and even worked out with my son. Yes, it's great for guys!

Angela - Sorry! Didn't see your post! Yes! I did a complete P90X rotation and really enjoyed it. I saw a lot of strength gains. I may do another rotation after my half marathon, but it zaps a lot out of you so you don't have a lot of energy for running or anything else. And yes, it IS great for guys. I think it's a fabulous rotation.

Robyn,

Hi! Sorry I just saw your question. I am PATIENTLY :( waiting for the DVDs to arrive. I emailed the seller and was told they would be shipping soon...I know their definition of soon and mine are different.

Diana

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.