Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Talk about anything you like in this forum including other videos you like or dislike.We would like to once again remind everyone that we donít allow posts from people whose end purpose is to sell or promote other companies DVDs. We want open discussion to continue to be used by fitness enthusiast and our customers who want to openly and honestly discuss fitness DVDs, not to be used by other companies to promote their website or sell their products.

Colposcopy 3 years after hysterectomy for cancer

This is a discussion on Colposcopy 3 years after hysterectomy for cancer within the Open Discussion forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; OK...I just need a little comforting here. I just got a call from my clinic that my pap showed abnormal ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Cathlete

Default Colposcopy 3 years after hysterectomy for cancer

OK...I just need a little comforting here. I just got a call from my clinic that my pap showed abnormal cells and I need to go back for a colposcopy. As I understand it, that is how they determine if it is cancer or not. I asked on the phone if the cells were precancerous and was told, "No, not cancer, jut abnormal." So, I'm a little scared and confused. The last time I had a colposcopy was when I had all my biopsies for the cervial cancer.
I know there were a couple people on this forum with a lot of knowledge on this topic and I was hoping for some information.
Also, my regular doctor is on extended leave so I have to see someone different and I can't get in until Nov. 15. I think I may lose my mind by then.

Anyway...thanks for any information anyone can give me.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Cathlete

Default RE: Colposcopy 3 years after hysterectomy for cancer

Hi Muffin Top! Not going to be of much help just to tell you I'll keep you in my prayers. Is it possible that you could find another doctor that could get you in? If nothing else, just so you wouldn't have to wait so long?

Not much help, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Cathlete
dreamyjeanie's Profile Fields

Again, not much help here info wise, but I'm sending you hugs and soothing thoughts and of course prayers that it all turns out OK.

Jean
Old 10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Cathlete
Armywife's Profile Fields

A few years ago I kept having abnormal pap smears and had to have colposcopies quite a few times. It is just to get a better look at the cells. My pap smear was fine except for abnormal cells not cancerous cells. It is just a precaution and that way they can take pictures and get a better look just to make sure things are really ok. Don't get worked up too much yet but I can see how you could be nervous after already having problems before. Just get the colposcopy done and then go from there. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully everything will come out fine!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Cathlete
scm's Profile Fields

I've had two colposcopies. It was just to see why some cells were abnormal according to my pap. I too was really nervous, especially since my first one was while I was pregnant. Be sure to get it done, and try not to be nervous about it. I'm sure you'll be just fine. Let us know how you make out.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Cathlete

OK, I am feeling a little better. I just hate waiting because I'm such a worry wart. Also, I made the mistake of checking out vaginal cancer on webmd...NOT pretty. I also called the clinic to see if they could possibly move my appt. up a bit. The last time I was abnormal, I just had to go back for another pap in a couple months. I guess that's why the jump to colposcopy is throwing me. At that time, I had paps every 3 months though. This is a yearly. Maybe that is the reason to go straight to the colposcopy....either that or they've changed how they deal with abnormal paps since all the press about cervical cancer.
Anyway, thanks again.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Cathlete
Beavs's Profile Fields

You do have the right to demand anwsers to your questions. I could understand the jump to a colposcopy being disconcerting and I too would want a thorough explanation.

The Dude abides. --The Dude

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportional to the heat of the beat--Beavis

Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Cathlete

I'm no expert, but have gotten a lot of info in a very short time. I had to jump right to a colposcopy within two days of getting my pap results. However, they did say precancer. I have to go for the cone biopsy next week. I feel your anxiety. (((HUGS))) Maybe they're going straight to the colpscopy because of your history??

You're the second story I've heard recently where the patient is left "hanging". :( I don't think it's fair that docs tell you something like this and then make you wait.

Hang in there. Thoughts and prayers coming your way!!

Autumn has sent me some really good links/info. You can e-mail me and I can pass it along.

Dallas
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Cathlete
autumn's Profile Fields

Hi! Below is a summary of the consensus guidelines, but please remember that your individual history is a factor.
Taken from http://www.asccp.org/pdfs/consensus/algorithms.pdf

Abnormal paps and colp:
If you have ASCUS and HPV+ (high-risk types) >>>>> Colposcopy
Atypical cells & cannot rule out High grade lesion >>> Colposcopy
Low-Grade Squamous Intraepitehlial Lesion (LSIL)>>>> Colposcopy
High-Grade Squamous Intraepitehlial Lesion (HSIL) >>>> Colposcopy

Post-menopausal women & adolescents are "special categories".

Also, please remember that guidelines are updated so these could change tomorrow.

<<I asked on the phone if the cells were precancerous and was told, "No, not cancer, jut abnormal.">>

Ask them to read the pap results to you. Or ask them is it ASCUS? LSIL? Get specifics. Ask them to explain what it means. The person you spoke to may not understand precancerous and based on the response I am guessing he or she didn't (cancerous and precancerous are not interchangeable).

HTH!
Autumn

Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Cathlete
melodygirl's Profile Fields

I wanted to send my {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} and prayers for good results and peace of mind in the meantime.

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are."
~~E.E. Cummings