Coffee

khshill

Cathlete
How important is it to cut out coffee from your diet if you want to lose weight? I currently drink two cups a day but am needing to lose weight and don't want to continue this if it is going to hinder my weight loss! Any advice?

Thanks!

Kristen :7

Kristen, I'm not sure about hindering weight loss, it never has kept me from losing weight. I drink two cups in the morning and I have to have them. I went caffeine free for many weeks last summer and was not able to maintain it. I hooked I guess!

I don't think that I've ever read anything about coffee hindering weight loss. My gut feeling is that it's probably only a problem if you also overeat fatty or sugary snacks *every* time you have coffee or if you use coffee to kill your appetite but then wind up bingeing when you do eat a meal.

Excessive coffee drinking (2 cups a day is not excessive) may hamper weight loss due to it's diuretic effects (which may lead to dehydration) but a cup of coffee pre workout can help raise the heartrate and metabolism thereby getting you into the fat burning zone more quickly.
The January '06 issue of 'Shape' claims 'Dutch researchers found that people on a calorie-restricted diet who got 300 mg. of caffeine a day from coffee (about 2.5 cups) for four weeks lost a pound more per week than those who didn't'.
Now if you are plying your coffee with sugar and cream then that's a whole other issue as you are adding fat and calories to your diet. Fortunately I like mine dark and dirty}(

Take Care
Laurie :)

>Now if you are plying your coffee with sugar and cream then
>that's a whole other issue as you are adding fat and calories
>to your diet. Fortunately I like mine dark and dirty}(
>
>Take Care
>Laurie :)

This is something that I hope all of you take note of. An excessive habitual coffee drinker will not get the add weight loss benefits that coffee before a workout can provide. In addition to this coffee before a workout should be black. You do not want to raise your blood sugar and spike your insulin prior to a workout especially if weight loss is your goal.

Laurie, thanks for sharing that information from Shape. Very interesting!

Kristen, a lot of people on these boards drink a lot more than 2 cups a day and have no problem losing/maintaining weight. Like yours truly. Of course, I do drink it black.

-Nancy

I don't think you drink enough to hinder you. I drink 3 -4 a day and it doesn't stop me. Unless you're drinking a Starbucks with sugar and cream and all that? I too tried to go de-caf and it just didn't work It's mt one and only vice! :) Susan

Ha I'm with you Susan it's my only vice. Years ago I tried to give it up but it's a quality of life thing. I even get it a few times a week DD cream and no sugar. It's my treat to myself :)

I've never really had weight issues from coffee!

Thanks ladies! I could have sworn I read that coffee hinders weight loss somewhere. I am losing my mind! With that said, I will continue my couple cups of coffee a day! Phew!

Kristen

I have not had any problems whatsoever and I am quite the avid coffee drinker. I'm in better shape now than ever.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Kristen you are not losing your mind. David Kirsch (Ultimate NY Body Plan) asserts that coffee - in any quantity - is bad because the amount of caffeine in it spikes cortisol levels which causes the body to hang on to esp. abdominal fat. I did find that when I cut down on my coffee and increased my green tea consumption I dropped pounds.

I have since read the studies and newer reports on coffee consumption referred to in this thread. I found it very hard to give up coffee entirely. Now I start the day with my green ginger tea and around 10:00 a.m. have my 1 1/2 - 2 cups of coffee. But I treat it differently - I now savor it as a treat instead of just having it be a part of my day.

Lorrie

Not that I know much about it, Lorrie, but my doctor once mentioned to me that coffee (even decaf, oddly enough) spikes cortisol levels. However, my impression is that as of yet, there is no definite connection between cortisol levels and fat retention. I'll have to figure out where I got this from and come back with a link to post.

Of course you know I'll be defending coffee, right? (See smilie below).

-Nancy

>Kristen you are not losing your mind. David Kirsch (Ultimate
>NY Body Plan) asserts that coffee - in any quantity - is bad
>because the amount of caffeine in it spikes cortisol levels
>which causes the body to hang on to esp. abdominal fat. I did
>find that when I cut down on my coffee and increased my green
>tea consumption I dropped pounds.
>

I drink anywhere from 1-4 cups of coffee a day depending on my mood....I have never been overweight nor have I ever had a problem with abdominal fat. Go figure.

Robin:9

I drink about 2 cups (dark and dirty like Laurie!) every morning. Never has affected my weight or abdominal fat...:)...Carole

>Kristen, a lot of people on these boards drink a lot more than
>2 cups a day and have no problem losing/maintaining weight.
>Like yours truly. Of course, I do drink it black.

I have always drank coffee (w/skim milk and sugar but more recently, sometimes even with regular milk) throughout weight loss and maintenance stages. Mostly I drink it in the morning only, but sometimes in the summer, I get on an iced coffee kick during tre afternoon. I have never seen it effect my body negatively or stall loss.

The one thing that I do know for sure is that you cannot count it into your daily water intake and must make sure that you get your water in otherwise.

I thought coffee helped people lose weight? Not if you have a pile of sugar and cream in it though, thats where your problem comes from.
Lori:)

I drink about 4 cups or more per day and have never had a problem losing/maintaining my weight. I usually take it w/ FF International Delight Creamer(French Vanilla) or FF Half and Half w/ a little bit of Raw Sugar(half a teaspoon).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.